IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Air bag recalled for 2006-2011 Lexus IS250/350.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-16, 07:57 AM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I live in Canada and also emailed Lexus Corporate as well as my dealership in my area and got the same message as other fellow owners here north of the border. They are not aware of any recall notices on my vehicle. I live around the GTA and this heat and humidity is starting to make me fell uncomfortable driving my friends around in the front passenger seat.

Any idea when Canada will actually acknowledge this recall? Ive read that ppl in the US can get rentals, but up here they are giving fellow Lexus owners nothing.... I havent even received a letter letting me that our airbags are affected.

Has anyone received a letter from Lexus in Canada? If I dont get a letter and say my airbag explodes and injures someone, are they liable?
Old 08-05-16, 03:15 PM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by istundra
Taka- Happy to hear you received a temporary car from Lexus. I would be happy with anything save to seat 4 persons safely. We take the stock 2IS when going out with family; so anything with 4 doors be good for me!

I don't know why Lexus give run-around and just do it and give the rental.

Normally, by myself, I take my lowered 2GS, and oh man, when seating 4 persons with elderly do not like bumpy lower cars.

i do like my low with stiff suspension.
Thanks.
I think the run around is because they haven't been properly trained and overwhelmed with volume would be my guess. As case in point, Lexus Corporate case manager thinks her job is to let customers know to call the dealer and close out the case instead of actually participating and discussing with the dealer directly to get the loaner. The dealer here in San Diego is only using their loaner fleet as the inventory to assign cars out instead of contracting with outside rental agency. Apparently, this may differ based on the specific dealership. Then they also have a waiting list that shows there are more demands for the rental then Lexus probably anticipated. I'm just happy that I finally got a loaner.
Old 08-06-16, 08:30 AM
boystar22
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Picked up my rental yesterday. I had three to choose from on the lot: Dodge Ram 1500, Jeep Compass, or a Toyota Camry SE.

Old 08-06-16, 09:47 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,339 Posts

^^^^Just saying'. It was not a Dodge Ram. Ram trucks have not used the Dodge moniker since they sere spun off into the Ram division in 2010. They are Ram trucks.

Lou
Old 08-06-16, 09:20 PM
Alpinam3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a official Lexus recall in the mail. It said just as you pointed out that it's passenger and no fix as of yet.
Old 08-07-16, 09:32 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus of Sacramento hasn't been able to see us for two months. They keep saying they don't have any airbags. Guess we'll have to wait.
Old 08-07-16, 09:49 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,339 Posts

^^^^No one does. Don't expect any dealers to have airbags until (at the earliest) late February.

Lou
Old 08-07-16, 09:46 PM
rnav1007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TakaM
Thanks.
I think the run around is because they haven't been properly trained and overwhelmed with volume would be my guess. As case in point, Lexus Corporate case manager thinks her job is to let customers know to call the dealer and close out the case instead of actually participating and discussing with the dealer directly to get the loaner. The dealer here in San Diego is only using their loaner fleet as the inventory to assign cars out instead of contracting with outside rental agency. Apparently, this may differ based on the specific dealership. Then they also have a waiting list that shows there are more demands for the rental then Lexus probably anticipated. I'm just happy that I finally got a loaner.
I'll be looking into getting a rental with Lexus San Diego. Any tips to make the request go easier/faster? Thanks.
Old 08-07-16, 10:45 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah I got to lexus of concord in the bay area and recently had the 60k service and got the notice the day before. I asked about it and they said "we dont have the parts yet. We'll contact you as soon as we get the parts." Hope i dont crash until then
Old 08-07-16, 11:19 PM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rnav1007
I'll be looking into getting a rental with Lexus San Diego. Any tips to make the request go easier/faster? Thanks.
Call Lexus San Diego as soon as you can to get on their waiting list.
Old 08-08-16, 10:23 AM
jordanko
Driver School Candidate

After a week of fighting with Lexus customer service, missed call backs, and other aggravation, I finally got approved for a rental through Enterprise. I called and was told that it's a Chrysler 200 at $45 per day plus tax, paid by Lexus, but I have to still hold on to the Lexus and I don't have space to park both of them.

Anyone have any luck getting some sort of incentive for rejecting the rental and instead trading in the current Lexus and buying a new one? I asked my dealer about it and after a routine sales pitch, the dealer told me there would be no incentive and that I'm just trying to "assign my problem to the dealer." It's not the response I'd expect after buying a $50k+ car and offering to buy another one. I'm also perplexed since selling a new car and saving $45 per day for 6+ months seems to be in both Lexus and the dealer's best interests.
Old 08-08-16, 10:36 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanko
After a week of fighting with Lexus customer service, missed call backs, and other aggravation, I finally got approved for a rental through Enterprise. I called and was told that it's a Chrysler 200 at $45 per day plus tax, paid by Lexus, but I have to still hold on to the Lexus and I don't have space to park both of them.

Anyone have any luck getting some sort of incentive for rejecting the rental and instead trading in the current Lexus and buying a new one? I asked my dealer about it and after a routine sales pitch, the dealer told me there would be no incentive and that I'm just trying to "assign my problem to the dealer." It's not the response I'd expect after buying a $50k+ car and offering to buy another one. I'm also perplexed since selling a new car and saving $45 per day for 6+ months seems to be in both Lexus and the dealer's best interests.
While I too would like to trade my IS in on something new, what is Lexus going to do with all the old defective cars? They literally don't want them, so won't be offering any incentives to trade them in and sit on their lots until they can be fixed.
Old 08-08-16, 12:42 PM
rnav1007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TakaM
Call Lexus San Diego as soon as you can to get on their waiting list.
Thanks. I called Lexus customer service and they're going to set me up with a case manager to deal directly with them. We'll see how that goes.
Old 08-08-16, 02:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The only reason I am not pursuing a rental is I have no place to park my Lexus. And I assume the dealer isn't going to want to store it for me. Trapped.
Old 08-09-16, 08:05 AM
Wrauda
Driver School Candidate

hello everybody,

I live in Houston TX, and I would like to know, if anyone is getting a rental from Lexus, if you are, please let me know how you guys did it? Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: Air bag recalled for 2006-2011 Lexus IS250/350.