IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Vibrations -mechanic needed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-16, 04:20 PM
Bkhectic
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick question. You never mentioned if your car is completely stock or modified. Did you change the suspension ?
Old 06-03-16, 05:13 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I had a set of TSW Nurburgrings (square set up for awd) on for a few days, initially thought it was a bent rim but have been back to stock wheels since. Vibration is independent of which wheel is on with little if any change to symptoms (may be more prominent with TSW since the sidewall is shorter). No suspensions modifications at any point. All upgrades are cosmetic with the exception being a joez intake.
Old 06-03-16, 11:16 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MAizz
Update

Talked to a corporate case manager.. She said they cannot do anything without me going back to the dealership and going for a road test. My concern is going on a road test they will say they don't feel anything beyond normal. Any advise?
Easy, take another 350 out on the road and see if the vibration is present. I bet it won't be and they'll have to acknowledge the issue.
Old 06-05-16, 04:03 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That Dealership playing game with you Maizz, a dealership can't fix a vibration ? wtf man ? get 4 new good tires bring it to a best alignment shop and get it done at once and see if vibrate still there.
Old 06-06-16, 04:51 AM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RandyIS250
That Dealership playing game with you Maizz, a dealership can't fix a vibration ? wtf man ? get 4 new good tires bring it to a best alignment shop and get it done at once and see if vibrate still there.
It's crossed my mind, only reason I haven't is the service manager agreed to put 4 new rims and tires on my care (free of charge) to see if its still there, he just hasn't done it for some reason.
Old 06-16-16, 06:07 AM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Update on 6/15

So after getting in touch with corporate and going back in to the dealer, they sent me on a road test with the shop foreman (who remembered my car from 6 months ago from my bubbling headlight TSB that took multiple attempts to match the LED colors), I let him drive to feel the vibration, he confirmed exactly what I had been saying, neither steering wheel or seat. He said it was similar to a different case where it was a loose joint in the drivetrain, but much less prominent. The service manager put 4 brand new Bridgestone Potenzas on and set us back out, with me driving to determine if the problem was still present, I couldn't gauge truly from a 10 minute test drive so they told me to drive around for a while and come back. I drove about 100 miles on 4 different highways, even picked up my father to have him drive it, pretty sure the problem is solved.

When I went back the foreman told me he inspected all rotating components under the car while they were mounting the new tires and found nothing loose, broken or out of the ordinary. The theory was that when I damaged my 2 rims (probably pothole, etc) the tires became out of round. Being more than one tire, it couldn't be isolated with swapping a single wheel at a time.

It's been less than 24 hours but I'm fairly confident that the vibration is gone. I'm not sure why it takes calling corporate to get a dealership to perform what they say they will and use common sense to diagnose an issue, but as long as it gets done I am happy. I will say that hopefully this is the last time I have to use them, my car's warranty is about to expire and my father is a mechanic, so that should be able to work in my favor. I haven't looked into an extended warranty, but given my two times going through the dealership, I think I'll pass.

Thanks for all the help, CL again showing some great support and sense of community.

Last edited by MAizz; 06-16-16 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-16-16, 10:20 AM
Eduskator
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bkhectic
Quick question. You never mentioned if your car is completely stock or modified. Did you change the suspension ?
+1...

Glad to see it was only your tires.
Old 06-17-16, 07:34 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MAizz
Update on 6/15

So after getting in touch with corporate and going back in to the dealer, they sent me on a road test with the shop foreman (who remembered my car from 6 months ago from my bubbling headlight TSB that took multiple attempts to match the LED colors), I let him drive to feel the vibration, he confirmed exactly what I had been saying, neither steering wheel or seat. He said it was similar to a different case where it was a loose joint in the drivetrain, but much less prominent. The service manager put 4 brand new Bridgestone Potenzas on and set us back out, with me driving to determine if the problem was still present, I couldn't gauge truly from a 10 minute test drive so they told me to drive around for a while and come back. I drove about 100 miles on 4 different highways, even picked up my father to have him drive it, pretty sure the problem is solved.

When I went back the foreman told me he inspected all rotating components under the car while they were mounting the new tires and found nothing loose, broken or out of the ordinary. The theory was that when I damaged my 2 rims (probably pothole, etc) the tires became out of round. Being more than one tire, it couldn't be isolated with swapping a single wheel at a time.

It's been less than 24 hours but I'm fairly confident that the vibration is gone. I'm not sure why it takes calling corporate to get a dealership to perform what they say they will and use common sense to diagnose an issue, but as long as it gets done I am happy. I will say that hopefully this is the last time I have to use them, my car's warranty is about to expire and my father is a mechanic, so that should be able to work in my favor. I haven't looked into an extended warranty, but given my two times going through the dealership, I think I'll pass.

Thanks for all the help, CL again showing some great support and sense of community.
told you it was tires and wheels, ya know what ive had my vibration at 65 miles ever since i did not bother to fix, mine was kinda different to yours, only vibrate at 65 mile its gone at 68 mile+ ,well today i can confirm its all gone ! i went visited my mechanic friend today and Balance all my wheels, car run smooth at all speed. anyways glad you got them fixed.