IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Adding A2DP Bluetooth to IS 350 with GTA Car Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-17, 01:23 AM
lovekeiiy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to revive an old thread, but I installed the SL3b-L (SoundLinQ) the other day. Just ran into a bunch of issues because it the manual didn't show it better. This is just to help others in the future.

The port on the back of the navigation/head unit to use

Suggested location to place the unit.

I recommend taking the center console completely out. One, it'll prevent possible scratching it with the head unit. Two, it's needed to run the wire from the head unit to the SL3B-L because it needs to under brace that the center console bolts to. The wire is too thick to run between; the head unit will not sit flush enough and the ashtray doesn't slide far enough to stay open. Also, the center console it two pieces, after taking it out, separate them. Put the install the ashtray part first, the second piece. It's easier than trying to reinstall as one unit.
Old 10-11-17, 07:30 AM
Mysta
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lovekeiiy
I hate to revive an old thread, but I installed the SL3b-L (SoundLinQ) the other day. Just ran into a bunch of issues because it the manual didn't show it better. This is just to help others in the future.

The port on the back of the navigation/head unit to use

Suggested location to place the unit.

I recommend taking the center console completely out. One, it'll prevent possible scratching it with the head unit. Two, it's needed to run the wire from the head unit to the SL3B-L because it needs to under brace that the center console bolts to. The wire is too thick to run between; the head unit will not sit flush enough and the ashtray doesn't slide far enough to stay open. Also, the center console it two pieces, after taking it out, separate them. Put the install the ashtray part first, the second piece. It's easier than trying to reinstall as one unit.
Awesome timing, how do you like it? I'm looking for something to add bluetooth as well and trying to find the best.
Old 10-11-17, 11:07 AM
lovekeiiy
Driver School Candidate

I"ve only had it the car a couple days. I put it in Sunday night/Monday morning (I work grave shifts, so I tend to do stuff late at night). Thus far, works good. Has sound very close to using a 3.5 mm port in the car and phone; I have a four foot flat 3.5mm to 3.5mm cord I was using. It automatically connects to the phone and starts playing; at least with Google Play Music.

The Vaistech SoundLinQ (SL3b-L) is just for audio streaming. It has no phone call functions. I didn't need it because my IS came with blue tooth phone already. That said, you can use the controls on the steering wheel--volume up and down, track forward and back. There's no stop or pause; using the steering wheel controls; at least that I have discovered The Lexus cars that do have blue tooth audio integration, they do not have the function either; I just got a 2016 RX350 as a loaner. On your phone, if your car came with blue tooth, you'll have two blue tooth connections--phone and another for audio. Most modern phones can have multiple blue tooth devices connected

Not that is'a deal breaker, but it's nice to have, the SL3b-L does have text that can be displayed on yoour media screen. It'll be under CD1; it's does an emulation of MP3 or CD files, so it'll show metadata--artist and song. I like this function because sometimes Google or something will play a song I don't know, so I can see what it is without having to unlock the phone.

Phone screen capture
Media center screen. I was making sure everything worked before putting the everything back together in the car.

The one knock on the system possible is the price. It's over two hundred dollars. But once in, it functions like it's factory. Heck, the way to know it's not is the two blue tooth connections and the "CD1" mode. There are other alternatives, but they don't include metadata, steering wheel controls, or include phone calling features. And if using the cigarette port for power, it's possible you may get power feedback through the audio.
The following users liked this post:
Mysta (10-11-17)
Old 10-11-17, 01:10 PM
Mysta
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How long did it take to install?
Old 10-12-17, 12:54 AM
lovekeiiy
Driver School Candidate

A lot longer than expected. It was because some things were not obvious or missed, and some misjudgments or bad information. If you're good with tinking with stereos and installation, Should only take about an hour, maybe thirty minutes. It's possible it could be up to two hours. Taking the head unit out, vents, and what not was not that hard. There are plenty of YouTube videos to show you. The information I gave was the things I couldn't readily find.

I ran into a few oddball issues that tacted on a twenty minutes each. The plugged into the headunit didn't readily go into adapter provided. Somehow one of the pin(s) wasn't lining right. Took time to figure out how the issue. Finding the plug took fifteen minutes to figure out. I didn't realize there were plugs that low on the back of the head unit. And that plug was the hardest to get out. It took fifteen minutes to figure out and get out; I ended up having to unplug the rest of the low ports. I also goofed when setting up the unit for the proper emulation. It took me at least twenty minutes how to reset the SoundLinQ. If you goof, put both switches down, wait for the beep, turn off the car. Leave switches down, turn car on, wait for beeps. After that, you can go through setup. It took me at least thirty minutes to find my installation location. I was trying to find a location closer to the headunit.

It's not a hard process. I just ran into silly stuff and just sucked a lot of time.

On a side note, I didn't make use of the USB charging port on the SL3b-L. From what I can tell, it's literally just power port that can be used to charge devices. It would be easy enough to install with a USB extension cord. It's just finding a location to put a plate and mount the USB cord. A good spot is probably in the center console next to the cigarette and 3.5 mm ports. I just use one of the dual USB port cigarette port adapters. I don't use it often, but it's there for when I do.