IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Aftermarket Amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-16, 01:04 PM
akoster
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Aftermarket Amplifier

So I noticed that my 08 IS350's sound system didn't sound right. So I took it to a professional to have them look it. They said that the amplifier is going bad and the sub-woofer is half blown. I already have a sub-woofer from my old car that I can put in but I need another amplifier (after market). The guys at the shop recommended that I get at least a 5 channel one. Anyone have any recommendations?
Old 07-11-16, 04:45 PM
trippy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by akoster
So I noticed that my 08 IS350's sound system didn't sound right. So I took it to a professional to have them look it. They said that the amplifier is going bad and the sub-woofer is half blown. I already have a sub-woofer from my old car that I can put in but I need another amplifier (after market). The guys at the shop recommended that I get at least a 5 channel one. Anyone have any recommendations?
im guessing to run with the speakers and sub ?? i have my own amp for the sub and speaker for more power goodluck
Old 07-11-16, 04:51 PM
akoster
Driver

Originally Posted by trippy
im guessing to run with the speakers and sub ?? i have my own amp for the sub and speaker for more power goodluck
What sub and amp do you have?
Old 07-11-16, 06:18 PM
trippy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What sub and amp do you have?
alpine type r 12 running with a sony 600watt

for speakers i have focal 3 way running pdx f4
Old 07-12-16, 12:42 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

The type/model of amp depends on what items you intend to power with it. If you want all of the factory speakers to work and just add an aftermarket sub, then get yourself a known good replacement factory amp AND a mono amp to run that sub.
Old 07-15-16, 08:00 AM
akoster
Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
The type/model of amp depends on what items you intend to power with it. If you want all of the factory speakers to work and just add an aftermarket sub, then get yourself a known good replacement factory amp AND a mono amp to run that sub.
I was told that you can use a 5 channel amp to run both the speakers and the sub
Old 07-15-16, 11:01 AM
SQLnovice
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...placement.html

similar thread
Old 07-15-16, 01:40 PM
Gville350

I was told that you can use a 5 channel amp to run both the speakers and the sub
Define "both". There are THREE speakers in each door! With a single 5- channel amp, you'd get away with running ONLY 4 of the total 12 door speakers and the one sub. See what I'm hinting at?
Old 07-18-16, 06:46 AM
akoster
Driver

Define "both". There are THREE speakers in each door! With a single 5- channel amp, you'd get away with running ONLY 4 of the total 12 door speakers and the one sub. See what I'm hinting at?
Yeah I gotcha. I'm just gonna get a replacement OEM amp.

I have a mono amp and sub in my old car. How easy would that be to install?
Old 07-18-16, 02:20 PM
Gville350

^Run power wire from battery to amp, wire amp up to communicate with the factory wiring, ground the amp, wire up the sub to the amp, install sub box into trunk location. Done!
Old 07-19-16, 10:26 AM
akoster
Driver

^Run power wire from battery to amp, wire amp up to communicate with the factory wiring, ground the amp, wire up the sub to the amp, install sub box into trunk location. Done!
Is it easy to DIY or would it just better to have a professional install it?
Old 07-19-16, 12:49 PM
Gville350

If you've never messed with it before and don't feel you can accomplish it easily, I'd recommend a shop to do it for you. The "hardest" part would be the running of the power wire through out the car and connect the signal lines from the existing factory amp lines to your amp. Not hard by any means; but if you're not use to doing it, it could be cumbersome.
Old 07-20-16, 08:51 AM
akoster
Driver

If you've never messed with it before and don't feel you can accomplish it easily, I'd recommend a shop to do it for you. The "hardest" part would be the running of the power wire through out the car and connect the signal lines from the existing factory amp lines to your amp. Not hard by any means; but if you're not use to doing it, it could be cumbersome.
I saw a Youtube video on how to do it, and it doesn't look that bad. Plus my did is very good at wiring with speakers (also has his Masters is EE from Ga Tech). Only thing I'm worried about honestly is tearing something up when pulling stuff up to run the wires through the car.

How much do you think it would cost for a professional to install it?
Old 07-20-16, 01:19 PM
Gville350

If that's all you're worried about, pick up a set of plastic trim tools from Harbor Freight and go to town. I'd just run the power wire along the door sills and through the rear seats. Doesn't have to be perfect, it's just a single wire.

Sounds like your dad can help with the wiring part very easily, as my dad with me on my first setup at 15yrs old.
Old 07-25-16, 04:56 AM
akoster
Driver

So I was able to replace the amp. However, it didn't to anything to the sound system. Still sounds the same. Feels like it should be louder at a lower volume. Do I need to unplug the car battery to reset the ecu so that the car will recognize the new amp?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Amplifier