IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Should I be worried?? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-16, 08:47 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Should I be worried?? Help!

Okay guys so I've had my 06 IS350 for over 2 years now and I'm very familiar with the sound of the fuel injectors. However today upon picking up one of my friends from his house, he asked why my car is so loud and ticking? I told him, oh that's normal it's just the injectors on these cars. But he pointed out that it sounded louder than usual as did my nephew who was in the car with me. So I turn down my stereo, put my car in Park and notice it too. It's sounds like the fuel injectors but only louder for some reason??? So I inspect the engine while it's still on, check for leaks, squeals or anything abnormal but find nothing. Then I turn off the car and turn it back on only to have the car go back to normal? Strange... Then before we leave I Rev the car once to see if that makes the louder sound come back and thankfully it doesn't. However as soon as I go in reverse it gets loud again :/ I then Park the car before driving it and once again it's quite. Now it seems it just gets louder when it wants and also back to the quiteer but still annoying stock ticking sound at random..

Any idea what this is?? Should I be concerned or is this normal for the fuel injectors to do but I just never noticed how loud they get before? I know they're always loud but never THIS loud.. I look forward to your answers and hopefully one of you can enlighten me as right now I'm worries and scared to even drive it lol. Thanks guys.
Old 08-20-16, 07:33 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's because the 3.5L V6 in the 350 has direct as well as port injection. Direct injected motors have a ticking sound that they are known for due to the the injectors themselves. The 2.5L V6 in the 250 is only direct injected and is pointed to part of the reason why the 250 has carbon buildup from old reads. When I go thru a drive thru I can hear it tick with the driver's window down and it sounds like a truck. Lol

Last edited by knguyenk; 08-20-16 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-20-16, 10:01 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by knguyenk
That's because the 3.5L V6 in the 350 has direct as well as port injection. Direct injected motors have a ticking sound that they are known for due to the the injectors themselves. The 2.5L V6 in the 250 is only direct injected and is pointed to part of the reason why the 250 has carbon buildup from old reads. When I go thru a drive thru I can hear it tick with the driver's window down and it sounds like a truck. Lol
Hi, thanks for the reply. However as I stated Im already well aware of how the engine sounds normally especially when going through a drive thru or anything of that nature. I've owned this car for 2 years now and the ticking sound was one of the first thing I became aware of. However the issue I'm having is that the ticking for the fuel injector sounds even louder than it normally is and I have no idea why...

I did however continue to drive my vehicle last night and the sound went back to normal again and I didn't hear it get super loud again out of nowhere like yesterday. But just to make sure you guys understand what I mean, I know the 350 always makes a ticking sound while it idles. And I know it's get louder while in an enclosed area such as a drive through due to the sound bouncing off the walls. But my issue is that while in idle outside my friends house (in an open area with no walls) the ticking was much louder than it normally is when the car is in idle. And I know its not normally this loud because as soon as I restarted the engine the ticking sounds went back to sounding normal again.
Old 08-20-16, 10:46 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Hi, thanks for the reply. However as I stated Im already well aware of how the engine sounds normally especially when going through a drive thru or anything of that nature. I've owned this car for 2 years now and the ticking sound was one of the first thing I became aware of. However the issue I'm having is that the ticking for the fuel injector sounds even louder than it normally is and I have no idea why...

I did however continue to drive my vehicle last night and the sound went back to normal again and I didn't hear it get super loud again out of nowhere like yesterday. But just to make sure you guys understand what I mean, I know the 350 always makes a ticking sound while it idles. And I know it's get louder while in an enclosed area such as a drive through due to the sound bouncing off the walls. But my issue is that while in idle outside my friends house (in an open area with no walls) the ticking was much louder than it normally is when the car is in idle. And I know its not normally this loud because as soon as I restarted the engine the ticking sounds went back to sounding normal again.
Were you driving for prolonged periods of time or long distance?
Old 08-21-16, 05:11 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Icy350
Were you driving for prolonged periods of time or long distance?
No this was just from my work to my buddy's house less than 10 miles easy. I did floor it a bit before getting there but just once, nothing crazy.
Old 08-21-16, 08:38 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tro209

My bad, I definitely get your concern now. I would double check this by doing several drives of varying distances and would make sure that the car is cold at each trip and check the sound level at idle once you reach the destinations. It may could be related to engine temperature with the level of sound from the injectors (a guess as to what it could be).