IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oil change/Transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-16, 11:52 PM
Rezasaba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change/Transmission fluid

not sure where to post this hope someone with experience can help /Advice, took my 2010 Lexus 1 250 c for an oil change at local lube place , i think they DRAINED THE TRANS FLUID BY MISTAKE and added 5W30 Synthetic motor oil to the Engine when i went to drive away i noticed at Ideal the engine was shaking i checked the dip stick and notice there was way too much oil shown on the dip stick i told the Tech there was way too much oil on the dip stick and asked him to drain some of the oil he did , and the car engine had stopped shaking at this point i drove the car slow down the street about a 1000 feet and noticed the car does not have much power , i let the car sit for a while and checked the Dip stick again and it was still way above the full mark slowly drove it back to the lube place and found out what had the Tech done , i asked them again to drain the entire Synthetic motor oil and replace the oil Filter added 6.6 QT of regular 5W30. now thinking there is no Transmission Fluid ? or some kind of Fluid ? not in the system decided not to drive the car and waiting for a tow Truck to take the car to the dealer for a check to see what had happened and or if there is any major damage done . Question is ?
putting synthetic oil driving for 1000 feet and replacing it with regular oil will that damage the seals and or anything else in the engine?
driving the car for 1000 feet and with no or very little Trans fluid will that cause damage to the Transmission?
thanx
Old 10-04-16, 02:25 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Contact the company's corporate offices and file a detailed complaint ASAP! Contact the area mgr as well to back-up your concerns.
Old 10-04-16, 04:17 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If they never drained your oil and add 5-6 quarts and started the engine then you certainly could have damaged it. Seals will go but you can also have oil push past the piston rings and cause hydrolock or at least cause some bent conecting rods etc. Without jumping to any conclusions I would definitely get the vehicle checked out because your engine has probably suffered some damage.

If they drained the transmission then you are about 2-3 quarts low. This will need to be fixed but you didn't drive it far enough to cause any damage.

It's the engine I would be extremely worried about. Do what OP says and call the corporate office.

Public Service Announcement: Don't take your car to a bunch of monkeys to get the oil changed. Find a good mechanic and have him do it.

Last edited by Mrfix; 10-04-16 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-04-16, 06:22 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

^Better yet, purchase the tools to be able to do the work yourself. Never worry about someone else working on your car again!
Old 10-04-16, 08:43 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Should bring it to Lexus dealer for service. Transmission oil pan is in middle and easily mistake for motor oil. You can Dam be transmission if drive 1000 miles because of heat. Just watch out for engine light, code.
Old 10-05-16, 02:02 AM
skullkandy
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Driving around with regular vs synthetic oil won't damage anything. You literally won't notice the difference.

Driving around with too much oil will mess ur ***** up. Jerking, smokey etc

Minimal oil in trans/no oil = super bad. You'll notice this though, gears won't change as smoothly / changing gear is laggy / not changing gears.

Last edited by skullkandy; 10-05-16 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-10-16, 08:50 AM
Rezasaba
Driver School Candidate

thanx for all ur responses the Lube place owner the next day offered to have the car fixed at the lube place by his AES Tech but i refused with some arm twisting put the car flat bed took it Edison Lexus they did the diagnostic NO Codes , there was damages to the Trans oil pan the Drain bolt majority of Trans oil was drained by the Tech at the Lube place all was replaced new trans oil Pan and drain bolt was installed Motor oil level adjusted , drove the car since last Tuesday for about 800 miles and no issues total cost was 850 + Lube place covered the cost. Thanx for ur response again
Old 10-10-16, 09:52 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude what are you doing? You dont take a Lexus to a place like that. Save that for a toyota corolla or honda. Your car is only going to run as good as the person who is servicing it. If you dont take it to the dealer then do research to find a local trusted mechanic.
Old 10-10-16, 07:20 PM
Rezasaba
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flektone
Dude what are you doing? You dont take a Lexus to a place like that. Save that for a toyota corolla or honda. Your car is only going to run as good as the person who is servicing it. If you dont take it to the dealer then do research to find a local trusted mechanic.
fleftone That day being Sunday Morning and this place being close to me i went there Never again Thanx for the Tip i always take it to the dealer