IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Fuel button panel fallen in - can't open fuel cover!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-16, 05:52 AM
KimKaze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel button panel fallen in - can't open fuel cover!

Hello, I am hoping that someone can help me. I have looked online to try and resolve this, but am scared about damaging my vehicle.

I have a UK Lexus 2006 model IS 250 (automatic) petrol.

I am very low on petrol, so I went to fill up. The cap didn't open after I pressed the button once, so I went back inside the car and pressed the button again, harder this time. Hey presto - the panel fell right into the car dashboard! I cannot poke around in there and seemingly get to anything although I have tried and taken photos with the flash on inside the hole, there's a bar in the middle of the hole between the two buttons on there that makes it a very small hole.

So, I cannot electronically open the fuel cover, I checked and there doesn't seem to be any manual way to open the fuel cover such as a lever in the boot, etc. I don't have enough fuel to drive the car to a Lexus garage...you see the difficulty.

I wonder if I could wedge the thing open, but won't that irreparably damage the vehicle?
Any ideas?
Old 10-06-16, 07:01 AM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I am under the impression you can very easily access the fuel door button by going in under the dash (where your feet typically are). It is just probably resting there on the cover. Remove the cover and it should be hanging there.

But in the mean time to open your fuel door go to your boot and on the side where the fuel door is just by the boot lid hinge there will be a small plastic pop off. Pop that off and there is a small latch you can pull to pop the fuel door.

This information is available in the Owners manual under Fuel.
Old 10-06-16, 10:24 AM
KimKaze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks

I was able to access the buttons by prising the side panel of the dashboard off, with a key ( the part that touches the door when it's shut). It was then possible to get at the fallen panel, still wired in, and re-clip it into place. How it was forced out of the clips is a mystery; they're not broken.

once the buttons were back, a simple press opened the fuel cover.I couldn't see any latch inside the small hole in the boot though, the hole with the cap is there, but shining a light inside didn't reveal any obvious lever.