IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New to me Car Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-16, 06:29 PM
ezbmr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could have looked at the Infiniti today, I didn't really care to. A car I thought was sold, wasn't and it actually had a 2k price drop. It was a 2014 Mazda 6. I figured at least I would see how I feel about them, if not buy it. It was an i touring,. which meant that it had power seat, leatherette seats, 19" wheels and rear cam, even blind spot monitor. I called the dealer and they told me it sold last weekend. They dropped it down to 10,900 with 80k miles. New 2016s would be 26k used 2016 are at least 15k.I would rather get a 2014 with 80, than a 2009 with 60k. A lot of the parts deteriorate with age and if a car is only two or three years old, obviously it has been driven long, but not nearly as hard of miles as an older car with the same if not less miles. I am deliberating both cars. I might go and look at the salvaged one. It would have to feel exceptional, pass all visual and other inspections. I plan on keeping this car a long time, so depreciation doesn't matter. The guy would have to sell it for prob under 10k. I hope something else will come out soon. The less I pay, the more I can put some upgrades.

I figure the F-sport has the sways, lowering springs and F-Sport Shocks. Woudn't need much more, perhaps better tires and a mid-pipe.
Old 11-08-16, 01:57 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ezbmr
I could have looked at the Infiniti today, I didn't really care to. A car I thought was sold, wasn't and it actually had a 2k price drop. It was a 2014 Mazda 6. I figured at least I would see how I feel about them, if not buy it. It was an i touring,. which meant that it had power seat, leatherette seats, 19" wheels and rear cam, even blind spot monitor. I called the dealer and they told me it sold last weekend. They dropped it down to 10,900 with 80k miles. New 2016s would be 26k used 2016 are at least 15k.I would rather get a 2014 with 80, than a 2009 with 60k. A lot of the parts deteriorate with age and if a car is only two or three years old, obviously it has been driven long, but not nearly as hard of miles as an older car with the same if not less miles. I am deliberating both cars. I might go and look at the salvaged one. It would have to feel exceptional, pass all visual and other inspections. I plan on keeping this car a long time, so depreciation doesn't matter. The guy would have to sell it for prob under 10k. I hope something else will come out soon. The less I pay, the more I can put some upgrades.

I figure the F-sport has the sways, lowering springs and F-Sport Shocks. Woudn't need much more, perhaps better tires and a mid-pipe.
I guess if he does sell it for under 10k its not such a bad deal. But that is a huge if. Not trying to sound like a downer but that is a long shot.

If it already has F Sport sway bars and springs, just get grippier tires (Pilot Super Sports if you have the money. Best street tire imo), a tune, and an exhaust system. (What I would do)
Old 11-08-16, 02:30 PM
ezbmr
Driver

I am very tempted to see the Salvaged one in Los Angeles. I like that it is local and I can see it before anything else. The discount of around 6k is great too. I called the dealer with the clear title car. They said yes to 15k. It will be 750 to transport it and at least 1250 to register it. So looking at 17. The Salvaged will be around 11k if he agrees to 10, perhaps even less. I plan on having it a long time, so if everything works 100% and all, I don't really care about the past. Either car is going to get some grippy tires. I could go with Pilot Super Sports or something close for the rear and Something a little less grippy for the front. Since it is not a square setup, it would be fine that way.

I am curious, does the F-sport package have the F-Sport Sways, lowering springs, and Shocks. Does the F-Sport have a different intake or exhaust? I doubt it. I know they mentioned that there is a level above the Factory F-Sport and below a IS-F

Last edited by ezbmr; 11-08-16 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-10-16, 09:49 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

I am very tempted to see the Salvaged one in Los Angeles. I like that it is local and I can see it before anything else. The discount of around 6k is great too. I called the dealer with the clear title car. They said yes to 15k. It will be 750 to transport it and at least 1250 to register it. So looking at 17. The Salvaged will be around 11k if he agrees to 10, perhaps even less. I plan on having it a long time, so if everything works 100% and all, I don't really care about the past. Either car is going to get some grippy tires. I could go with Pilot Super Sports or something close for the rear and Something a little less grippy for the front. Since it is not a square setup, it would be fine that way.

I am curious, does the F-sport package have the F-Sport Sways, lowering springs, and Shocks. Does the F-Sport have a different intake or exhaust? I doubt it. I know they mentioned that there is a level above the Factory F-Sport and below a IS-F
Go look at it, you never know. Maybe the car will surprise you lol. You'd probably be the first person I've seen wanting to run different tires front and rear (unless I'm living under a rock..) but hope that works if you decide to do it. I'm not sure if the F Sport package comes with all that. You do get a few front bumper and a few cosmetic touch ups. As for springs and shocks I do not know.
Old 11-11-16, 12:00 AM
laovo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing to be afraid of with a salvage title if you plan on keeping the car long term and everything looks fine. If you were going to sell it in a year or 2 then I wouldn't recommend it value wise. I bought my 2010 250 salvage(rear end) last year with 70k miles for 10k and the car runs perfect. Very happy with the purchase except the fact that it doesn't have nav! Definitely try to find one with nav because the stock radio looks outdated

Last edited by laovo; 11-11-16 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-11-16, 06:01 PM
ezbmr
Driver

I have the chance to see two cars tomorrow. One is a Merc CLS550, the other is the Lexus is350. This woman I work with likes the Merc.I don't think there will be a problem with the Nav.

Old 11-11-16, 07:38 PM
Koolsport
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the chance to see two cars tomorrow. One is a Merc CLS550, the other is the Lexus is350. This woman I work with likes the Merc.I don't think there will be a problem with the Nav.

Mercedes are nice cars but have some history with electrical and mechanical problems, do your research thoroughly before committing.
A friend had a beautiful CLS550 but after 50-60k the car was in the shop constantly for electrical work., it was expensive so after it was fixed they sold it for a loss.

Last edited by Koolsport; 11-11-16 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-11-16, 07:46 PM
ezbmr
Driver

I know all about the rep of the Mercedes. I have a BMW and it has been great. I really like the looks of both cars. If there are any problems with either, I won't buy. If I can't get a deal I like, I won't buy. It stinks that they are so far away. They are both good looking. The Merc is so beautiful. Since the Lexus is Salvaged, I am thinking 10k. Being that I have already negotiated a similar car with a clean title and a little less miles on it for 15, it should be 10k
Old 11-14-16, 11:18 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

I know all about the rep of the Mercedes. I have a BMW and it has been great. I really like the looks of both cars. If there are any problems with either, I won't buy. If I can't get a deal I like, I won't buy. It stinks that they are so far away. They are both good looking. The Merc is so beautiful. Since the Lexus is Salvaged, I am thinking 10k. Being that I have already negotiated a similar car with a clean title and a little less miles on it for 15, it should be 10k
So how did looking at those cars go? Were you able to get a price down and make a decision?
Old 11-14-16, 06:55 PM
ezbmr
Driver

I probably should have faced the guy with the salvaged title, instead I texted him that I am looking at 10k and he wasn't having it. I told him I found a clean title with less miles for 15k. He probably paid 10k a few years ago for it, being that it was a salvaged title. I wasn't in the mood to drive 60 miles and have the guy saying 13k, which wouldn't be rational. for a rebuilt title with 95k miles. The guy with the Merc, I don't trust him, everytime I ask him something, he gives vague answers. He is 70 miles away and I believe in buying the owner when you buy the car.
Old 11-16-16, 01:33 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

I probably should have faced the guy with the salvaged title, instead I texted him that I am looking at 10k and he wasn't having it. I told him I found a clean title with less miles for 15k. He probably paid 10k a few years ago for it, being that it was a salvaged title. I wasn't in the mood to drive 60 miles and have the guy saying 13k, which wouldn't be rational. for a rebuilt title with 95k miles. The guy with the Merc, I don't trust him, everytime I ask him something, he gives vague answers. He is 70 miles away and I believe in buying the owner when you buy the car.
Which sort of explains the problem with buying cars from individuals rather than a dealer. If you are going to travel a distance that is a tad far try asking the guy to meet you in the middle somewhere (usually if you're a serious buyer and show proof of funds they won't say no). Vague answers of either 1. there is something wrong with the car or 2. the owner doesn't know anything about maintenance or taking care of his car. So its probably a bad idea.

Reminds me of my days searching for a car... it can get quite stressful sometimes, but you'll find what you're looking for eventually.
Old 11-17-16, 06:26 AM
ezbmr
Driver

Well it isn't perfect, but i stumbled on a 2006 with Custom Wheels, Custom Exhaust. SGM, ML sound, Luxury Package and not far from me. The problems: 160k miles and 2006. But if it drives nice, the owner makes the right noises and I can get it for under 7k it could be mine. I am hoping that it also has some F-sport parts. It would be nice if I don't have to buy the aftermarket stuff and it is well maintained.

Okay, here is an update on this car. He tells me that the touch screen isn't working. At least one of the passenger windows is working, but has some delay when you press the button. You got to keep pressing it, to get it to work. The Headlights don't work. There are two sets of wheels that go with the car. The tires are pretty new. He says the engine and trans are fine. I figure I will check that out. He was asking 7700, but being that it needs touch screen, lights, possible electrical. I am thinking 6500 or less. The car is lowered as well. It looks really clean in the pics. He is around 45 or so, judging from the age of his daughter.

Last edited by ezbmr; 11-17-16 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-17-16, 05:02 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Well it isn't perfect, but i stumbled on a 2006 with Custom Wheels, Custom Exhaust. SGM, ML sound, Luxury Package and not far from me. The problems: 160k miles and 2006. But if it drives nice, the owner makes the right noises and I can get it for under 7k it could be mine. I am hoping that it also has some F-sport parts. It would be nice if I don't have to buy the aftermarket stuff and it is well maintained.

Okay, here is an update on this car. He tells me that the touch screen isn't working. At least one of the passenger windows is working, but has some delay when you press the button. You got to keep pressing it, to get it to work. The Headlights don't work. There are two sets of wheels that go with the car. The tires are pretty new. He says the engine and trans are fine. I figure I will check that out. He was asking 7700, but being that it needs touch screen, lights, possible electrical. I am thinking 6500 or less. The car is lowered as well. It looks really clean in the pics. He is around 45 or so, judging from the age of his daughter.
Get it inspected. 160k is a lot of miles and electronics can just happen to die out. I doubt the engine will have any problems, but have someone look at it. If he does agree to 6500, spend some extra money to get all the other features working. If you do it yourself, you'll save a fortune on labor costs.
Old 11-19-16, 04:15 PM
ezbmr
Driver

I went and looked at it. It was a weird experience. It probably wasn't a bad car, but the people who came with it were weird to say the least. The car came in filthy, she said that she hasn't had time to clean it. The engine bay had a bunch of coolant stains all over the fan and right side of the engine compartment. I asked if it was leaking, she was like "I don't think so." The car had no plates, instead it had those ones that come from the dealer when a car is new. She said that her boyfriend works for the government, so she doesn't put them on. The car was lowered, which is cool, I couldn't really tell what brand they might be. It also had the medallion muffler on it. I wanted to drive it and the daughter through a fit about me having my dog with me. I was like, well you kept changing your plans and I went out with my dog when you texted me. They agreed to let me drive it, but before I could, I opened my mouth about price or something like that. The kbb that I found was 6500 private party, 4500 or so Dealer. Supposedly the daughter works at a dealer and tells me the car is 8k. I explain that it has a bad touch screen, no working headlights, and a bad switch. She is telling me there is no way that is worth 2k. I figured I would offer between 6500 and 6900. They told me that they have already offers at 7k. I don't know why they would even waste my time if they have offers so close to their price. If the car was worth 8k, they probably shouldn't offer it at 7700. I left there and soon after my car was running badly, which makes me almost wish that I could have come to a price. It has done this before, I am hoping it goes away like last time, right after I drive it next. They were so bothered that I wanted to spend a few minutes looking at it. They thought I would just want to drive it down the street. Maybe I am being too cheap or too picky. The car had 245/40/18 s on it, which is cool, cause they must fit and not rub. I am surprised, esp on a car that has been lowered. I wish they hadn't been such jerks,

I am not looking forward to the finale to this whole thing, which is getting a newer car, but I have to. There is a dealer open on Thanksgiving, not too far from my sis, I plan on going there. They are a small dealer, perhaps they will take my car at the same time, which will end my worry about having to deal with it.
Old 11-21-16, 10:16 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

I went and looked at it. It was a weird experience. It probably wasn't a bad car, but the people who came with it were weird to say the least. The car came in filthy, she said that she hasn't had time to clean it. The engine bay had a bunch of coolant stains all over the fan and right side of the engine compartment. I asked if it was leaking, she was like "I don't think so." The car had no plates, instead it had those ones that come from the dealer when a car is new. She said that her boyfriend works for the government, so she doesn't put them on. The car was lowered, which is cool, I couldn't really tell what brand they might be. It also had the medallion muffler on it. I wanted to drive it and the daughter through a fit about me having my dog with me. I was like, well you kept changing your plans and I went out with my dog when you texted me. They agreed to let me drive it, but before I could, I opened my mouth about price or something like that. The kbb that I found was 6500 private party, 4500 or so Dealer. Supposedly the daughter works at a dealer and tells me the car is 8k. I explain that it has a bad touch screen, no working headlights, and a bad switch. She is telling me there is no way that is worth 2k. I figured I would offer between 6500 and 6900. They told me that they have already offers at 7k. I don't know why they would even waste my time if they have offers so close to their price. If the car was worth 8k, they probably shouldn't offer it at 7700. I left there and soon after my car was running badly, which makes me almost wish that I could have come to a price. It has done this before, I am hoping it goes away like last time, right after I drive it next. They were so bothered that I wanted to spend a few minutes looking at it. They thought I would just want to drive it down the street. Maybe I am being too cheap or too picky. The car had 245/40/18 s on it, which is cool, cause they must fit and not rub. I am surprised, esp on a car that has been lowered. I wish they hadn't been such jerks,

I am not looking forward to the finale to this whole thing, which is getting a newer car, but I have to. There is a dealer open on Thanksgiving, not too far from my sis, I plan on going there. They are a small dealer, perhaps they will take my car at the same time, which will end my worry about having to deal with it.
No you're not being picky, you're looking out for your own interests and buying a car is sort of a huge deal. You'd want to make sure its perfect before you make any decisions. From your point of view of the story at least, it doesn't seem like you did anything wrong. I'm sorry that all of this is happening to you. Hopefully someone will treat you right next time you decide to visit and test drive.

Quick Reply: New to me Car Adventure