IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New member intro

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 05:51 AM
sbrodaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member intro

Hi guys. I picked up an 06 IS 250 this past weekend. It's pearl white awd with 68000 miles. It looks new. All of the service records show that maintenance has been kept up with and even showing when the car has been detailed. Tires seem brand new, they are some off brand that I heard Lexus is replacing tires with. They seem to have decent reviews besides in the snow. Being in Chicago and have a long commute for work I am considering snow tires for the winter. Any recommendations? Do these cars come with a low tire pressure light?

I noticed this morning the airbag light is on. From the little research I have done, it seems like a common issue. The dealership I bought the car from said if I had any issues within the first week, they would take care if it. They also gave me a 90 day warranty, I can go to any licensed mechanic. If the dealership I bought the car from does not take care of the airbag issue I will more than likely go to the Lexus dealership my uncle runs. Hopefully there is some kind of family discount.

I really want to get navigation and bluetooth. Are people swapping in the oem navigation? What is the best route to take for navigation and bluetooth? If they cannot be done together what is recommend?

What you guys using for motor oil? I usually only use full synthetic on my vehicles. Are you guys changing the motor oil at 3000 or 5000 miles? Do you guys recommend using an oil filter from Lexus? Do you guys use an injector cleaner with each oil change?

Sorry for all the questions
Old 10-25-16, 01:41 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Any snow tires will do you just fine. Price will determine the quality as with everything. You'll have the most luck with the airbag light at the dealership.. I'm pretty sure this was a recall. I use Mobil 1 synthetic for oil changes and i usually change my oil every 5000 KM - I change my oil twice a year as I only drive in the summer. And yes always use the filter from Lexus it will cost you about $10 with a new washer for the drain plug bolt. I don't use an injector cleaner with every oil change but its not a bad idea to do it once a year..

Can't help you out with the Nav/ BT q

Welcome to Club Lexus
Old 10-25-16, 02:11 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Can't answer your first few questions, but I'm running 5W30 Castrol Full Synthetic every 5k Km. For oil filter I use K&N and have had no problems. Never used an injector cleaner for oil changes before.
Old 10-25-16, 03:22 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If they said they would fix any issues, I would hold them to it and get them to check out the airbag light. You could also try using an OBDII scanner and see what codes pop up. You can get bluetooth OBDII scanners for like $5-10 online. They're very handy to own.

Our cars do have TPMS sensors in each tire and will trigger a light on the dash if one loses connection (dead battery) or if your tire pressure is too low.

For navi and bluetooth, people have swapped in the OEM navi, but it isn't exactly a straight forward plug and play swap. There's been two versions of aftermarket units, however, you will have a hard time finding either for sale at the moment. They are Chinese units, but for what they are, they work fairly well and are plug and play. I have one, and I am very glad I bought it. There's been talks in another thread about the manufacturer making a revised Android model, which if it does get released, I plan on testing out. The previous models used WinCE based systems which is very outdated.

As far as oil, everyone has different opinions and preferences. I personally think that if you are running synthetic, you can easily go 6,000miles/10,000kms between changes. Synthetic oil lasts much longer than conventional and changing any sooner is just a waste.
Old 10-26-16, 05:27 AM
sbrodaz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by getafewliv
If they said they would fix any issues, I would hold them to it and get them to check out the airbag light. You could also try using an OBDII scanner and see what codes pop up. You can get bluetooth OBDII scanners for like $5-10 online. They're very handy to own.

Our cars do have TPMS sensors in each tire and will trigger a light on the dash if one loses connection (dead battery) or if your tire pressure is too low.

For navi and bluetooth, people have swapped in the OEM navi, but it isn't exactly a straight forward plug and play swap. There's been two versions of aftermarket units, however, you will have a hard time finding either for sale at the moment. They are Chinese units, but for what they are, they work fairly well and are plug and play. I have one, and I am very glad I bought it. There's been talks in another thread about the manufacturer making a revised Android model, which if it does get released, I plan on testing out. The previous models used WinCE based systems which is very outdated.

As far as oil, everyone has different opinions and preferences. I personally think that if you are running synthetic, you can easily go 6,000miles/10,000kms between changes. Synthetic oil lasts much longer than conventional and changing any sooner is just a waste.
Do you know the name of these units? Do they work with the controls on the steering wheel?

I took the car to the dealership I bought the car from last night. They started and the airbag light was not there. It was there when I drove to work and back yesterday. They showed me the obd2 scanner as they scanned the car. There were no stored codes. The airbag light has not came back on yet. We shall see.
Old 10-26-16, 06:40 AM
sbrodaz
Driver School Candidate

found this http://www.carnaviplayer.com/lexus-i...ead-unit-p-917 but it does not say it fits an 06. is there a difference between 06 and 07?

Last edited by sbrodaz; 10-26-16 at 06:47 AM.