IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is my transmission going out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-16, 12:05 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well guys , Terrible news. It was NOT the alternator... Apparently I got a short somewhere that is blowing out a fuse in my car. Now I gotta take it to Lexus and see if they can figure it out. I'm incredibly disappointed in my car and Lexus/Toyota. I'm hoping this is an easy fix but I'm starting to think it's a sign that I should just scrap my goals for this car , fix it, and be rid of it. So much money, time and attention on this car and then this happens...

Doesn't speak well to me of Toyota quality and only proves a point that any car can completely do a 180 and become a useless brick. I should have just bought something else, or just got a warranty if I knew this would happen. But nooo, it's a Toyota I thought to myself , it'll be fine. And yet my 91' Honda accord has been holding up better than this. Hell even the airbags in my car don't work.

Maybe I'm just over reacting , but right now I am one unhappy Lexus owner.
Old 11-06-16, 05:44 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Have you or a previous owner installed ANY aftermarket electronic devices(stereo equipment, alarms, etc etc)? I'd start by checking any of the wiring of those items.
Old 11-07-16, 11:43 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
Have you or a previous owner installed ANY aftermarket electronic devices(stereo equipment, alarms, etc etc)? I'd start by checking any of the wiring of those items.
You know at first I thought no. But now that I think of it, the previous owner had installed a navigation bypass switch in the car. Could that possibly be the reason? Although I've had this car since May of 2014. I also have the Spec D tails too for about 1 months but I doubt those could be causing the problem right? I mean no one else with Spec D lights has had this issue...
Old 11-07-16, 11:46 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

I'm gonna give this one more shot before taking it to the Stealership. This week (hopefully) I'll need taking my car to a well known mechanic not too far away from home. He's know for working on generally complicated cars such as BMW , Mercedes , etc. And has a good reputation for his work. Hopefully I can get my car there without completely dying on me and I can just leave it there for them take care of it..

Wish me luck guys
Old 11-07-16, 01:51 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Make sure you inform the mechanic of the previous NAV bypass installation.

Did you narrow it down to what fuse is being blown?
Old 11-07-16, 02:47 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Make sure you inform the mechanic of the previous NAV bypass installation.

Did you narrow it down to what fuse is being blown?
That's exactly where I would start.

Well guys , Terrible news. It was NOT the alternator... Apparently I got a short somewhere that is blowing out a fuse in my car. Now I gotta take it to Lexus and see if they can figure it out. I'm incredibly disappointed in my car and Lexus/Toyota. I'm hoping this is an easy fix but I'm starting to think it's a sign that I should just scrap my goals for this car , fix it, and be rid of it. So much money, time and attention on this car and then this happens...

Doesn't speak well to me of Toyota quality and only proves a point that any car can completely do a 180 and become a useless brick. I should have just bought something else, or just got a warranty if I knew this would happen. But nooo, it's a Toyota I thought to myself , it'll be fine. And yet my 91' Honda accord has been holding up better than this. Hell even the airbags in my car don't work.

What fuse is blowing? Was it blowing before you swapped the alternator? How did you discover the a fuse was blowing?

I think you are over reacting. You don't even know what is causing the issue yet, or who is at fault for the issue.

I would start by tracking down why that fuse is blowing.
Old 11-07-16, 07:17 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209

Best option is new Lexus. There is a risk used car with no warranty.
Old 11-07-16, 10:58 PM
aventur2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just give it some more time, look for a good independent in your area, don't bother with the dealer.
Old 11-08-16, 04:16 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

So what's the year and mileage of your car ?
Old 11-08-16, 04:19 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Also, I do remember this thread.. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-and-off.html
Check the fusable link
Old 11-23-18, 07:06 AM
3deez
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, so I took my car downtown earlier today when I went to get a haircut, and upon leaving I noticed something odd. On the cluster where it says PRND and S , the little green backlight wasn't turning on. Also upon putting the car into Drive, it felt as if the transmission Jerked kind of hard. I was worried and tried again to see if it goes away but nope , every time I go into Drive the car Jerks. Also my car no longer tells me what gear I'm in, won't let me use manual mode (it only lights up the "S" for a second then goes dark again) and even my turn signals don't function for some odd reason. Ever stranger is that the hazards (which use the signals ) work just fine ? ? ?

Upon getting home I didn't notice anything different about the transmission feel, it's feels perfectly normal as far as I can tell. All gears feel like they are working okay and there was no slip or grind as far as I can tell over a 8 mile drive. Only issue is putting it into drive... Where it once again jerks.

I also got the check engine light for the first time in my 2 years of ownership Any clue what this can be? My mechanic buddy said it might be something electrical like a sensor but that was just an over the phone "diagnosis " . Any help guys ?? I'm super stressed about this. Thanks
I have the EXACT same thing going on with mine. What ended up fixing yours?
Old 11-30-18, 07:22 AM
maeveLexi
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 3deez

I have the EXACT same thing going on with mine. What ended up fixing yours?
Same thing happened to me 2 months ago. I just replaced a grey box from one of the fuseboxes which is the one right in front of the battery.
That rectangular grey box has a bunch of fuses inside which you can't remove and no way to test if they work either (not that I know of) so I called a Lexus and asked if I can buy one of those and they shipped it to me 2 days later. It only took me about 3 hours to replace it.
Old 11-30-18, 01:34 PM
3deez
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maeveLexi
Same thing happened to me 2 months ago. I just replaced a grey box from one of the fuseboxes which is the one right in front of the battery.
That rectangular grey box has a bunch of fuses inside which you can't remove and no way to test if they work either (not that I know of) so I called a Lexus and asked if I can buy one of those and they shipped it to me 2 days later. It only took me about 3 hours to replace it.
Thanks for the reply! I just dropped it off at the Lexus service department to have them do the airbag recall and figure out my problem. Hopefully it won’t cost much.
Old 12-05-18, 08:17 PM
ostneb
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Please keep us posted on status, thanks!
Old 12-06-18, 05:48 AM
3deez
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ostneb
Please keep us posted on status, thanks!
Approximately $1641 later, replaced ecu, turn signal switch and master switch for windows was shorted out...I think it caused all the problems. Still haven’t gotten it back,so could be more.

Quick Reply: Is my transmission going out?