IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My best option for lowering and then raising in winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-16, 10:16 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My best option for lowering and then raising in winter

So pretty soon I'm getting new set of rims and I want to lower my is350 as well. I live in chicago and winters sometimes get bad. What's my best option and cost effective as far as lowering and raising back in winter. Should I just get lowering springs which are pretty cheap and keep those year round and just swap from summer wheels to winter? In not looking to go super low just a little to compliment the look of new rims and give it a more stances look as opposed to sitting stock. If I go coils I heard it's not really a good idea to have those on in the winter so it'll get pretty expensive putting back to stock suspension plus alignment twice a year... Again, I'm only looking to lower just a little and be most cost effective. I will be having a dedicated set of wheels for winter. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-23-16, 02:44 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Coilovers definitely sound like the best option. Lol.
Old 11-23-16, 08:07 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Since winter is coming up, save yourself a season of suspension installation and do it in the spring. I personally am going to change my coilovers out for the stock suspension today and will be doing the reverse next spring. You can do some research on lowering springs and most time people regret it as they go for coilovers anyways. There's always the argument that lowering springs can cause excess wear on the stock suspension, but then again there are F-Sport lowering springs designed for use with both stock and the sport bilsteins. With lowering springs you'll be stuck with one height, which can be fine if you don't get much snow(I don't know Chicago) but if you go the latter route you can switch the height as you please in the spring/summer and have the clearance in the winter.
Old 11-23-16, 08:54 AM
strikeraj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in Ontario as well and I do plan on getting coilover when the stock damper dies.
currently it is sitting on tein s-tech lowering spring installed by previous owner to accelerate its death
Old 11-23-16, 09:06 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting dilemma. You want adjustibility, but do not want to drop cash for 2 alignments each year....

I'm afraid you'll just have to make a choice because you can't have both of the above. If you are only after a modest drop, look into the Koni Sport Kit. There are a few people on this forum with the kit and appear to be pretty happy with it. Perform a search and you'll find pictures of the ride height. I think you should be fine with those during the winter months as long as you're careful with where you're driving.

I personally have coilovers, but I do not drive my 350 during the winter months. I have a 1 finger fender to tire gap and I feel at that ride height, I'd be plowing snow in some instances. So if I had to daily drive my car year around, I'd likely do what Aspect suggested and swap out the coilovers/OEM suspension and get an alignment each time.
Old 11-23-16, 09:51 AM
P128sniper
Pole Position

^ if I have to drop the cash to lower and switch between seasons and get alignments I will I was simply looking into lowering springs as a potentially cheaper option since I really will not be using the full benefit of coilovers, for example raising and lowering it through summer, I will simply drop it to desired height, which again will be pretty min and leave it there until winter. Coils seemed like overkill for what I was trying to accomplish since it has all these different adjustment u can make that I will never be using. But since springs suck then I migjt as well go the coils and stock suspension in winter route. Thanks
Old 11-23-16, 01:10 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitabel
do not want to drop cash for 2 alignments each year.

Not to be the wet blankie, but around here that's $400.
Not too bad?
Based on investigations, the DMV sent 2 types of prepared cars in to have all 4 wheels aligned at several dealers and indies by photographing and marking the bolts etc.
Of the already well-aligned cars (within factory spec now), almost 30% were told "you need an alignment or you'll [wear out the tires this week, crash the car, blah]".
Of the mis-aligned cars (known to be out of spec) a few were not done at all (but charged) - the bolts weren't touched and the specs were still out.
Some were aligned but not to spec.
Some were told "it can't be fixed without [LCA bushings, new rack, new struts, etc.]".
Only 45% had the job done properly (all 4 wheels returned to spec).

Don't go to any shop without searching for complaints. Unfortunately, many drivers (the high value target is, of course, women) never know what really happened, and don't complain unless the car climbs a tree.
Yes I have experience with a shopap llike this that did absolutely nothing, u paid 150 then took it to dealer next day and they said my alignment is way off, paid another 200 there....plus I woukd also be paying to swap out from coils to springs and springs to coils as I will not be able to do it myself. As u can see it gets really expensive really quick and that's why Im weighing my options.
Old 11-23-16, 01:21 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Some spring sets won't lower the car that much.. a 1" drop is plenty to give you a better look and stance if that's what your going for - driving it in the winter will require some caution obviously but its nothing you can't handle

F sport springs only drop 1"

wham bam thank ya mam
Old 11-23-16, 04:04 PM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
do not want to drop cash for 2 alignments each year.

I found that FIrestone has a Lifetime alignment you can get for $149 ( I don't know if it has changed in price) *lifetime of ownership of car
Totally worth it in my opinion.
It is the only thing I will go to firestone to do but I get it for every car I own.
Old 11-23-16, 04:16 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SeanO
Some spring sets won't lower the car that much.. a 1" drop is plenty to give you a better look and stance if that's what your going for - driving it in the winter will require some caution obviously but its nothing you can't handle

F sport springs only drop 1"

wham bam thank ya mam
Yea I think this is the best option for me. Only looking for a small drop and I'll leave it on the Springs for winter as well as you mentioned it's only 1inch drop. Should I get new struts and shocks to go along with this
Old 11-24-16, 04:38 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

How many miles are on your struts now? OEM struts will keep that kushy ride while aftermarket springs will last longer , firm up your ride , but sacrifice a little comfort.
Old 11-24-16, 11:11 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do the work yourself, I think you'll find changing shocks and springs twice a year to be a real pain in the butt. I considered inserts to raise the car for winter, but getting spring compressors in the rear is difficult. I went with coils. I don't find them difficult in the winter, but mine do make some noise, and it is worse in winter. A bit of extra negative camber can help cornering in the summer without excessive tire wear, and as was pointed out, I don't think it will hurt much in winter if it is a bit more positive than it should be. Depends on how low you go, of course.
Old 11-24-16, 12:09 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
How many miles are on your struts now? OEM struts will keep that kushy ride while aftermarket springs will last longer , firm up your ride , but sacrifice a little comfort.
I currently have 88k on the car and bought it when it had 60k so I'm not sure if they are original struts or if previous owner changed then, if I have to change struts aalong with springs I migjt as well get coils but I woukd leave them on all year round..
Old 11-24-16, 03:02 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by P128sniper
Yea I think this is the best option for me. Only looking for a small drop and I'll leave it on the Springs for winter as well as you mentioned it's only 1inch drop. Should I get new struts and shocks to go along with this
I'm running F sport springs on stock shocks right now and its a decent ride.. the previous owner had them installed that way

Personally I would get new shocks as well (I plan on upgrading my shocks in the new year) - I'm looking at getting F sport shocks as I had them on my 08 and loved the ride with the performance springs