IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-16, 10:47 AM
cwwplex12
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rough Idle

I'm the owner of a 2012 IS250 that I purchased new. I've enjoyed the car since day one. It has 81K on the odometer and I just had it tuned up at 76K which included new plugs, PCV valve and air filter. It always gets premium fuel. I've been noticing a rough idle condition that occurs lately after hard acceleration. It only happens for a couple of stops at traffic lights and doesn't occur during times when I apply light or moderate throttle. I've read that the carbon buildup problem was fixed in the 2011 model year so that should not be a factor. Any input on this would be appreciated!
Old 12-09-16, 01:59 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See if your vehicle has any TSBs or open recalls. I know on my 06 they had recalls on the fuel rails, DPI, series of other stuff that could cause a rough idle.
Old 12-09-16, 04:00 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by cwwplex12
I'm the owner of a 2012 IS250 that I purchased new. I've enjoyed the car since day one. It has 81K on the odometer and I just had it tuned up at 76K which included new plugs, PCV valve and air filter. It always gets premium fuel. I've been noticing a rough idle condition that occurs lately after hard acceleration. It only happens for a couple of stops at traffic lights and doesn't occur during times when I apply light or moderate throttle. I've read that the carbon buildup problem was fixed in the 2011 model year so that should not be a factor. Any input on this would be appreciated!
It may be that your injectors are getting dirty. Even with top tier fuel they will varnish and have build up. Try running a can of of Seafoam or Berryman B-12 Chemtool Total Fuel System Treatment. Both are good with the Berryman being stronger. Personally , I would run the Berryman through the tank and buy the Seafoam that you spray through the Intake. Do both and see if there is an improvement. If you notice an improvement then you know it's your injectors. If the problem returns after a while you may want them pulled out and cleaned.

I am curious how Lexus fixed the Carbon problem. Did they move or shield the inlet in the crankcase for the PCV System so it doesn't suck up oil but just lets vapor through? If not why would the problem go away?
Old 12-10-16, 07:48 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrfix
It may be that your injectors are getting dirty. Even with top tier fuel they will varnish and have build up. Try running a can of of Seafoam or Berryman B-12 Chemtool Total Fuel System Treatment. Both are good with the Berryman being stronger. Personally , I would run the Berryman through the tank and buy the Seafoam that you spray through the Intake. Do both and see if there is an improvement. If you notice an improvement then you know it's your injectors. If the problem returns after a while you may want them pulled out and cleaned.

I am curious how Lexus fixed the Carbon problem. Did they move or shield the inlet in the crankcase for the PCV System so it doesn't suck up oil but just lets vapor through? If not why would the problem go away?
1, I totally agreed with you, fuel line and type of gas also causes car to rough idle or loss of power, i'm from Toronto Canada, i have 2012 IS350 AWD, here we had Esso Gas with reward points that you can redeem free touchless car wash and thats a great thing for me, i've been using Esso gas Top premium one for almost a year, i did technically feel a bit rough and power loss with ESSO gas, i also fell sluggish driving, i thought it was air filter or MAF sensor etc and i also fell gearshift up /down isn't smooth as it to be, i found out because i was ordering PIZZA in downtown and there was a SHELL gas station next to it, i was lazy to get to Esso station, well right after my car started nice and back to 306HP when i 1st purchased, next morning got on Highway and pulled hard, wow it was a big different.

He should change Gas station and see if it the Gas type that made his car rough !

2, I disagree with you on the 2nd one, 2012 did actually re-tuned the Engine and reduces from Carbon build up, i'm not saying they completely stops the carbon, if you check the engine oil cap it says 0-20W not 5-30W anymore on 2012+ model plus 2012-2016 only 4 years it's impossible for carbon to build up that fast, the real carbon issue will pops up CheckEngine light VSC etc. engine will sound WOOp wop wop and stall !

i would think the gas he been using made his injector dirty, yes SEA-foam and fuel injection clean will solve his issue but switch to different gas station. somehow Lexus Cars are very sensitive, sometimes small things causes many headache which CL members tried big way end up it will be the same.
Old 12-10-16, 08:03 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by TLP_IS350
See if your vehicle has any TSBs or open recalls. I know on my 06 they had recalls on the fuel rails, DPI, series of other stuff that could cause a rough idle.
Recall Number
11V029000
Recall Date
01/26/2011
Component
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINEELIVERY
SummaryTOYOTA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2006-2009 LEXUS IS AND MODEL YEAR 2006-2007 LEXUS GS VEHICLES. DUE TO INSUFFICIENT TIGHTENING OF THE FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR CONNECTED TO AN ENGINE FUEL DELIVERY PIPE WITH NICKEL PHOSPHORUS PLATING, THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT, OVER TIME, THE PRESSURE SENSOR COULD LOOSEN. IF LOOSENING OCCURS, FUEL COULD LEAK PAST A GASKET USED IN THE CONNECTION BETWEEN THE SENSOR AND THE PIPE AND THROUGH THE THREADED PORTION OF THE SENSOR.

ConsequenceFUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

What Owners Should DoDEALERS WILL INSPECT FOR FUEL LEAKAGE FROM THE THREADED PORTION OF THE FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR AND IF A FUEL LEAK IS NOT CONFIRMED, DEALERS WILL FURTHER TIGHTEN THE FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR WITH THE PROPER TORQUE. IF A FUEL LEAK IS CONFIRMED, THE GASKET BETWEEN THE SENSOR AND THE FUEL DELIVER PIPE WILL BE REPLACED WITH A NEW ONE, AND THE SENSOR WILL BE TIGHTENED WITH THE PROPER TORQUE. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.

Read more at https://www.cars.com/recalls/lexus-i...Gm9kS0tQtyo.99

Recall Number
14V647000
Recall Date
10/15/2014
Component
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINEELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
SummaryToyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain model year 2007-2010 Lexus LS vehicles manufactured May 9, 2006, to July 20, 2010, 2006-2011 Lexus GS vehicles manufactured January 6, 2005, to September 10, 2010, and 2006-2011 Lexus IS vehicles manufactured August 30, 2005, to September 10, 2010. Due to anti-corrosion plating remnants, fuel may leak from where the fuel pressure sensor is attached to the fuel delivery pipe.

ConsequenceA fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source increases the risk of a fire.

What Owners Should DoToyota will notify owners, and dealers will clean and reseal the fuel pressure sensor mounting area, free of charge. The recall began March 3, 2015. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-800-331-4331.

Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain model year 2008-2011 Scion xB and Lexus IS F, 2009-2011 Toyota Corolla and Corolla Matrix, 2006-2011 Toyota Yaris, Lexus IS250 and Lexus IS350, 2010-2011 Toyota 4Runner, Lexus IS250C, Lexus IS350C and Lexus GX460, 2011 Sienna, 2007-2011 Lexus ES350, and 2009-2010 Pontiac Vibe vehicles, originally sold, or ever registered, in Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands (Saipan), and the U.S. Virgin Islands, or "Zone A." Additionally, unless included in "Zone A" above, Toyota is recalling certain model year 2008 Scion xB and Lexus IS F, 2007-2008 Toyota Yaris, 2006-2008 Lexus IS250 and Lexus IS350 and 2007-2008 Lexus ES350 vehicles, originally sold, or ever registered, in Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia, or "Zone B." Vehicles of these model years and models that were not originally sold or ever registered in either Zones A or B are not subject to this safety recall. These vehicles are equipped with certain air bag inflators assembled as part of the passenger frontal air bag modules, and used as original equipment or replacement equipment. In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the front air bags, these inflators may rupture due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to absolute humidity and temperature cycling.

ConsequenceAn inflator rupture may result in metal fragments striking the vehicle occupants resulting in serious injury or death.

What Owners Should DoToyota will notify the Toyota and Lexus owners. General Motors will contact the Pontiac owners. Depending on the model, dealers will replace the passenger frontal air bag inflator or the air bag assembly, free of charge. Interim letters informing owners that parts are not yet available were mailed on July 6, 2016. Owners will receive a second notice when remedy parts become available. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-800-331-4331. Toyota's numbers for interim notification for this campaign are G1P (Toyota Zone A), G1R (Toyota Zone B), G2G (Lexus Zone A), and G2H (Lexus Zone B). Toyota's numbers for final remedy for this campaign are G0P (Toyota Zone A), G0R (Toyota Zone B), GLG (Lexus Zone A), and GLH (Lexus Zone B).

If your car was built before the date and different Zone (states) its not effected, ive talked to Lexus Canada Corp and some Dealership, they said it's the USA Lexus thingy my VIN number shown that my car has 0 Zero no outstanding recall whatsoever, those cars that built within the date they are not sure yet like those 2006-2010 IS and currently it has no recalls. I believe the owner of this topic lives in New York State which near Ontario Canada so i don't think he has any outstanding recall.
Old 12-10-16, 10:04 AM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
2012 did actually re-tuned the Engine and reduces from Carbon build up, i'm not saying they completely stops the carbon, if you check the engine oil cap it says 0-20W not 5-30W anymore on 2012+ model plus 2012-2016 only 4 years it's impossible for carbon to build up that fast, the real carbon issue will pops up CheckEngine light VSC etc. engine will sound WOOp wop wop and stall !
It is my belief that the 0-20W is because tolerances have probably become tighter in the engine.

The carbon buildup problem is more than likely better since they probably fixed the issue with bad blocks (cylinder sleeves being defective) and may have vented the crankcase better to reduce pressure therefor lowering blow by. But almost all direct injection engines from the Mustang, Corvette, F150 Pickup, VW, Subaru, etc all have carbon issues at around the 80k Miles or 130k kilometers. Even Non DI engines can suffer from some amount of carbon buildup although not as bad requiring a total rebuild.

Unless they engineered a solution where the inlet to the PCV System enters the crankcase has been shielded from most of the oil and oil vapor, you will still have excess oil in the vapor sucked into the top of your engine created carbon problems.

Ford apparently fixed the issue with the Focus RS where they moved the inlet to the PCV system in the crankcase and shielded it from the oil in the pan (from what I have read).

Time will tell. I figure if the issue exists you should be hearing about it about now or soon in greater numbers. If I had a DI only engine the first thing I would do is put a catch can on it or vent the Crankcase directly into the environment.
Old 11-19-20, 01:14 PM
MatthewMM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a known issue and Lexus changed the engine design in 2013 to have have manifold injection when the car is cold.

"December 8, 2015 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: L-TT-0192-15
Components: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLINGNHTSA ID Number: 10152274

Manufacturer Communication Number: L-TT-0192-15

Summary: TT: Some IS250 and GS300 vehicles may exhibit one or more of the following conditions:

? MIL ?ON? DTC P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, and/or P0306.
? Intermittently runs rough after coming to a stop with the engine at operating temperature.
? Intermittently runs rough with engine misfires present after a cold soak startup.
NOTE: The recommendations in this document apply to an intermittent misfire concern. If a vehicle exhibits a steady misfire, the root cause is not related to the referenced service bulletins and the repair manual should be referenced for diagnosis."
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2006/L...Communications
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...52274-9999.pdf

My symptoms are also I get MIL, and VSC disabled lights. I used "OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows" (available on amazon) to pull codes and data logs: RPM, location Coolant temp...

I also forwarded the case to https://www.krinsklaw.com/contact and https://mccunewright.com/contact-us/ who have had class actions against Lexus and Toyota.