IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How to completely drain transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-17, 08:24 AM
Fiend
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to completely drain transmission fluid?

So I'm going to change my transmission due it slipping and I want to know if there is a way to completely drain my transmission before I take it out so that oil will no spill every where? I have drained everything in the pan already and I know there is still a lot in the transmission since I read that only about 2 qts will drain out of the pan. I have tried turning the car on and running it in drive but something is keeping it from moving the trans as the wheels will not move? Yes the parking brakes were off and it would not engage into the transmission. I would give it gas in D but it would just rev the engine. So is there a way to properly so this?

I also need to know how I would fill the new torque converter and transmission with oil because if I could only put 2 qts in the pan, then how would I get a total of 8 qts into the new transmission which is the full capacity (correct me if I am wrong).
Old 01-06-17, 08:48 AM
flynryan
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

When ours started slipping it was throwing codes and eventually got worse. Had to replace it. Dont know if putting new fluid in it will help. Maybe if its only barely slipping
Old 01-06-17, 08:57 AM
Fiend
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flynryan
When ours started slipping it was throwing codes and eventually got worse. Had to replace it. Dont know if putting new fluid in it will help. Maybe if its only barely slipping

Yes I am going to replace it. I just want to know how to drain all the fluids out before I take it out so that fluid will not spill every where. Also how to fill the new torque converter and transmission with fluid since we can only put 2 qts thorough the fill hole on the side.
Old 01-06-17, 09:30 AM
flynryan
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry, didnt read your post well enough.
There wont be any significant fluid that will come out when you remove the tranny from the bell housing so you can remove it w/o preparing for major clean up.
Our torque convert must have had fluid in it when we put the new(used) 1 back in becuase it only took 2 quarts or so. The salvage yard told me it was completely dry which it wasnt. I believe that there is a pump that will suck fluid into the convert but Im not positive. You can fill the convert up with enough fluid before install so that there wont be any dry conditions with it.
So basically when you drop the tranny there wont be but just a small amount if fluid if any that will come out.
Old 01-08-17, 04:37 PM
trippy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i went to my dealer on saturday morning and ask if theres any recalls for the 250 tranny =( nothing lol makes me scared if my trans goes out... *knock on wood*
Old 01-08-17, 07:10 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Even when you get a Transmission from a wrecking yard all that has been drained is the pan. Now if you install a used transmission and want to do a complete flush you cold always take the transmission to a shop that has a flush machine and a test stand and they could do a complete flush ad fill for you. This would be a rebuild shop that re-manufacturers transmissions for wholesale.