"It's an upper-end Toyota"

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-17, 02:43 PM
gustervon
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "It's an upper-end Toyota"

"It's an upper-end Toyota"

I am having a hard time with this statement. For one, I do not agree and it is the second time I have heard this while shopping for an IS.

Can someone direct me to some information that states otherwise?
Old 02-03-17, 02:57 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 609 Likes on 405 Posts

What do you want to know? It is made by Toyota, though the platform the Lexus IS used isn't used by any Toyota models sold outside of Japan.

Many Lexus platforms are unique from any Toyota platforms, but they do still share components for sure.

That said they are definitely a different situation than Acura/Honda for example.

Jeff
Old 02-03-17, 04:01 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Is that an insult? I've got all my lexus for their looks and reliability

Oh and the fact that it can get serviced cheaper if I ever had to go to a Toyota dealership
Old 02-03-17, 05:26 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Who cares? You buy what you like and drive it. Upper end Toyota, Lower end Toyota I couldn't care less.
If I like a rust bucket, I'd drive that.
Old 02-03-17, 05:33 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I've heard "over priced" Toyota. Was even told that my RCF is nothing more than a rebranded FRS. .

I just ignore it..

I drive what drives me, not what someone else thinks I should.
Old 02-03-17, 06:09 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Who ever called your rcf a rebranded frs is an absolute MO-RON. Frs has maybe 200 hp? People are just ill informed and have no idea what the heck they're talking about.
The following users liked this post:
mjeds (02-06-17)
Old 02-03-17, 06:37 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Or a Cadillac is an upper end Chevrolet?

Lou
Old 02-03-17, 08:17 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Well in a way they are right. Lexus is the luxury part of Toyota Motor Company, slotted above Toyota in the hierarchy, so literally it is yes. I mean the Lexus IS used to be called a Toyota Altezza, Lexus SC vs Toyota Soarer etc etc. Idk if being made or associated with Toyota could be an insult of any sort. Would I say an Audi is an upscale VW? Caddilac an upscale Chevy? TRD develops the F Sport parts and accessories. The RCF running in Super GT is doing incredibly well, and Toyota has had much success in rally like the iconic Toyota Celica GT-Four. Dismissing cars because of their branding is a stupid and ignorant thing. If a brand starts producing good cars, I'll take interest. Hell, I'm super interested in the KIA Stinger GT concept and idc if it's JUST a KIA
Old 02-05-17, 01:31 PM
LXMEUP
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Infinity is an upper end Nissan, Lexus is an upper end Toyota, Jaguar is an upper end Tata (ha!).

It's the truth mate.. I refer to my car as the Camry Sportivo for giggles.

I bought mine for the performance, luxury and most of all the reliability that Toyota has been known for.

If Honda (Acura) made a Lexus type variant, I'd be all over that as well.
Old 02-05-17, 03:26 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I genuinely have no idea why people get so worked up over this whole 'Lexus = souped up Toyota' thing. When will people realize that the brand of the car does not matter whatsoever. Its the products they create that amount to something. Reputation is one thing, but even the best car manufacturers in the world occasionally release something terrible and the worst release something good. Would someone not buy an NSX just because it is a Honda? Would someone not buy an R35 just because it is a Nissan? Would someone not buy a Focus RS because it is a Ford? Absolutely not. The only thing a brand name makes a difference in is its reliability reputation and maintenance expenses.

No matter which way you slice it all of our cars are Toyotas. And that isn't a bad thing. Toyota is the most reliable brand in the world. The only part that I think isn't shared with any Toyota is the unique 2GR-FSE engine and that is it. I'm fairly certain most other smaller parts you'll find in a Camry or Corolla. I bought my car for the performance and comfort and nothing else. If any other car had it better than this one I wouldn't buy this car just because it is a Lexus.

The problem here is the stigma of the name Toyota from within the enthusiast community. No car enthusiasts (besides us really) think of Toyota as a reliable brand but rather just a boring economy car manufacturer. Look at any BMW/Audi/Mercedes forum to see what I mean. And because we are within that community, that same stigma apparently still lies within some of us here. When people ask me what I drive I troll them by saying 'XE20 Toyota Altezza' because no one knows what that is. As long as you bought the car because YOU liked it, that is all that matters.

People will always put something great down just to make themselves feel better. Don't let that get to you.
Old 02-05-17, 07:17 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an IS250 and I think it is Toyota's upper end.
I don't want to say more because someone might feel insulted about my opinion of their car.
Old 02-06-17, 06:10 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Well, isn't about half the auto brands out there in the same situation? Acura, Infiniti, Cadillac, Audi, Jaguar, etc. They are all pretty much cobbled up from parts already in use in their parent brands.
Old 02-06-17, 08:18 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
Who ever called your rcf a rebranded frs is an absolute MO-RON. Frs has maybe 200 hp? People are just ill informed and have no idea what the heck they're talking about.
I know, but to the average person both are 2-door Sport Coupes built by Toyota so it doesn't surprise me the average non-car person thinks it,

The average person is ill informed about a lot of things, our current election showed us that on both sides.
Old 02-06-17, 09:38 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

ES is an upper end Toyota (used to be baised on Camry and now Avalon), all other Lexus models use its own Lexus platform....Maybe besides RX as well.

It's all about the platform used, that's the way I see it.

Last edited by kolyan; 02-06-17 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-06-17, 10:05 AM
Jackstraww
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 1987 Toyota 4X4 PU lasted 250K miles at 10K feet in Breckenridge Colorado with pretty much just basic maintenance

Some of the harshest weather conditions in the country I will add.

Of those 250K miles at least 10K were spent off road 4 wheeling every old mining trail from Summit, Park, Gunnison, Ouray counties and a few I am too lazy to type

LOVED THAT TRUCK!!!

Quick Reply: "It's an upper-end Toyota"