IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2009 IS250 starts, shuts off and won't start back up.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-17, 06:54 AM
Brentsp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 IS250 starts, shuts off and won't start back up.

This happened suddenly to my wife yesterday morning and left her stranded on the side of the road. She tried to explain what it was doing but it didn't make a bit of sense. Luckily she was stranded just 50 yards from our house. I got it to finally start up and drive in reverse (backed up) on the side of the road to the front of my drive way. As soon as I shifted into drive it died and wouldn't crank back up. I put it in neutral and pushed it up my driveway to the house.

So now that it's back at my house I begin to trouble shoot and I have no idea what is wrong. I know for a fact that cylinder 3 and 6 I believe need their plugs or coil packs replaced according to a reading autozone did a while back this past fall and is something I've been putting off due to lack of funds. I'm not sure if this is related to that or not. But basically it's like the title says.

Once it sits for a while it will start up, then die after about 10-15 seconds. Then it will not start back up. It won't even try to crank but I do get power. Battery is new but before I knew it would start after a while I did try to jump it just in case with no luck. I also disconnected the battery and reconnected hoping to reset something internally but no luck. I checked the oil to make sure it wasn't low because I've read Lexus has a engine protector fail safe where it will not let you run your car with little oil. Oil was full but black, it's due for a change but that's not going to cause this issue.

Im about to call NAPA to tow the car to their shop. Wanted to check with you all first.
Old 02-04-17, 08:45 AM
250Lexus57
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the fuel pressure sensor unhook the wire to fuel pressure sensor and start it up will start up and running on limp mode this happened to mine and one of the members here suggested I unhook my fuel pressure sensor wire and start it up and surprisingly it started up but on limp mode then I hooked it back up and it's been fine. We basically had the same problem mine would start then die in 2sec then would not crank. Read my post on the forums I have the same year to 2009 lexus is250