IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS350 Pulsating When Braking

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-17, 09:39 AM
Zosopage
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus IS350 Pulsating When Braking

Recently had to replace my front rotors because my mechanic said my fronts were too thin and warped. I waited a couple months before doing it. I ended up replacing all 4 pads and 2 front rotors yesterday.. My car is still pulsating when I hit the brakes. It's especially bad when I am stopping from high speeds or if I barely tap on it when I'm going 10-15 mph, you can feel it pulsating/lunging. Sometimes I can get into a sweet spot and I won't feel much.

Any idea what it could be? I'm thinking back rotors might have to be replaced, what other problems could it be?

2006 Lexus IS350 111k Miles

Last edited by Zosopage; 02-10-17 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-10-17, 10:00 AM
Ken167
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Zosopage
Recently had to replace my front rotors because my mechanic said my fronts were too thin and warped. I waited a couple months before doing it. I ended up replacing all 4 pads and 2 front rotors yesterday.. My car is still pulsating when I hit the brakes. It's especially bad when I am stopping from high speeds or if I barely tap on it when I'm going 10-15 mph, you can feel it pulsating/lunging. Sometimes I can get into a sweet spot and I won't feel much.

Any idea what it could be? I'm thinking back rotors might have to be replaced, what other problems could it be?

2006 Lexus IS350 111k Miles
If the rotors were replaced then the pulsating should be gone. Gotta go back to the place that did the brake job and tell them. Maybe they didn't replace the rotors, or didn't turn them on the lathe to resurface
Old 02-10-17, 10:06 AM
Trolling55
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the rotors are replaced, you shouldn't have pulsation. I'd bring it back and let them know.

It could also be some cheap brake rotors.
Old 02-10-17, 10:10 AM
Zosopage
Rookie

Originally Posted by Trolling55
If the rotors are replaced, you shouldn't have pulsation. I'd bring it back and let them know.

It could also be some cheap brake rotors.
It was just the front rotors that were replaced. I'm thinking it's something beside rotors, or it's my back rotors that were not replaced.

I know someone who works for Lexus, so everything that was replaced is OEM shipped directly from Lexus.
Old 02-10-17, 12:39 PM
Soledad
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Back rotors that are warped (they are not actually warped by the way, but I'll use a familiar term) will also cause pulsation/lunging.
If you end up replacing the back rotors make sure to check that your rear brake caliper's guide pins aren't seized. The rear calipers
need to "float". Search on here for seized rear calipers if you aren't familiar with it.

I could also be tires. It can even be a wheel that has it's lug nuts torqued improperly. Example: I once had a 2004 Durango. Got
new tires put on it at some shop. Driving the 50 miles back home I noticed that every time I stepped on the brakes I got this horrible
pulsation like the front rotors were "warped". I thought my brake rotors were toast and it was time to replace them. But, I just
happened to come across a post online where someone said their braking issue was due to improperly torqued lug nuts. Sure as
hell, the people had torqued all of my lug nuts normally but the front left wheel had one lug nut that was on so tight that I could not
break it loose by myself. Needed a friend and a cheater bar to get it loose. I then re-torqued All of my lug nuts correctly and the brake
pulsating disappeared completely.
Old 02-10-17, 12:44 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

How did you break-in those new front pads/rotors? Any new brake hardware (pins/clips/etc) installed along with the new pads?
Old 02-10-17, 01:09 PM
Zosopage
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gville350
How did you break-in those new front pads/rotors? Any new brake hardware (pins/clips/etc) installed along with the new pads?
Drove it easy on the way home. Couple hours later, attempted to bed-in the brakes after searching online. The issue was there before the rotors were replaced.
Old 02-10-17, 03:04 PM
toyotaguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless your new front rotors are defective sounds like you also need to replace the back. My Sienna had this problem and initially I only replaced the front rotors since I couldn't really tell but similarly the problem didn't go away until I also replaced the back rotors too.
Old 02-10-17, 03:36 PM
afusco1222
Driver School Candidate

Is your pulsation in the steering wheel or in the brake pedal? If it's in the steering wheel, then it's the front brakes and if it's in the pedal then it's the rear.
Old 02-10-17, 04:06 PM
Zosopage
Rookie

Originally Posted by afusco1222
Is your pulsation in the steering wheel or in the brake pedal? If it's in the steering wheel, then it's the front brakes and if it's in the pedal then it's the rear.
It's in the pedal and my automatic shift **** will sometimes shake forward and back. Steering wheel never shakes or moves. Whole car shakes forward and back.
Old 02-10-17, 05:31 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

Replace your rear rotors.
Old 02-10-17, 07:20 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Replace ur abs sensor that's part of the hub. I had the same issue.
Old 02-12-17, 08:40 PM
Zosopage
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gs3500
Replace ur abs sensor that's part of the hub. I had the same issue.
Can you tell me more about this? I have just purchased new back rotors, but where is this ABS sensor and why is it an issue?
Old 02-14-17, 07:23 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The abs sensor is a rubberized encoder stuck to the hub bearing. Mine got dirty and partially peeled off, causing wrong readings to the abs ecu.
Old 02-28-17, 05:06 AM
lloydxmas9
Driver School Candidate

Any updates on this? I have the exact same problem. I replaced the front rotors/pads but the pulsing is still there. Wondering if replacing the rear rotors corrected the issue?

Quick Reply: Lexus IS350 Pulsating When Braking