Carbon build up advice Lexus IS250

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-17, 08:14 AM
memoalkati
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Carbon build up advice Lexus IS250

Hello Everyone,

I am owner of a 2006 Lexus Is250 with 160,000 Kms on It. I recently started having Car Hesitation , Low gas Mileage , High RPM with Slow Response when accelerating and feels like my car is "Chocked" On 1st and 2 gear. My Mechanic had a look at the car for few hours and diagnosed it with Carbon build up (50 % carbon build up). He said once the build up is quite large I will start receiving Code Errors something like P0340 and possibly having misfire .

I am looking to perform carbon build up clean up and looking for some advice. I called up few places who offered Walnut blasting services and they have advised me to get this service done after I get my Pistons cleaned which walnut blasting procedure up does not cover.

I Called Lexus and they offered to do Top Engine Clean Up Service which is basically soaking the engine with some chemicals and manually cleaning the pistons with a brush . Service Cost around $1000 Tax Included (6.5 hours Work and Some ring parts) 50% success rate with Heavy carbon build up .

I Would like to fully clean up my car from carbon deposits to avoid future problems ( In a non cheap SeaFoam way, Already tried 2 services that costed $160 from a mechanic which basically included blasting cleaning material through the Intake valve ) as I am looking to drive my car to the ground (until the engine dies) and I was told that once carbon build up is way too much . There is no actual fix even with Top Engine Clean up and will require engine replacement.

Is there any trusted Mechanic around in Ontario around the GTA area (Toronto) where I can drop off my car for the weekend and have it fully serviced for carbon clean up? looking to spend around $1500 and have a peace of mind that I could possibly drive my car to 300,000 kms or more.

Last edited by memoalkati; 02-16-17 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-16-17, 09:21 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Sorry to hear about your Carbon build up issues. I don't own a IS but I know there is a huge thread on the IS forum about carbon buildup on the IS250, it is over 25pages long. I would ask the question there. It is a major issue with the IS250 with no real solution other then getting it cleaned when it gets fouled up, the IS350 does not have that issue because it has dual port injection.

It is really disappointing Lexus is suggesting or making owners pay a lot of money to try to address Lexus's design failure. I would contact Lexus corporate and complain and see if they will do anything for you. I am surprised there is no class action lawsuit yet or maybe there is.
Old 02-16-17, 11:13 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Ive had two of my 250s walnut blasted...all those issues you describe no longer happen
Old 02-16-17, 08:12 PM
memoalkati
Driver School Candidate

Really? what about the pistons though? how many Kms did you have on them?
Old 02-18-17, 10:05 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Some people have installed an oil catch can, after the engine has been cleaned, to prevent it from happening again.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...xperiment.html
Old 02-18-17, 10:29 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by memoalkati
Really? what about the pistons though? how many Kms did you have on them?
On their advice, theyve never seen pistons be affected, and they've done hundreds if not thousands of cars with carbon build up. So i didnt worry about it.

My cars have 109k and 160k miles
Old 02-19-17, 06:06 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by memoalkati
Hello Everyone,

I am owner of a 2006 Lexus Is250 with 160,000 Kms on It. I recently started having Car Hesitation , Low gas Mileage , High RPM with Slow Response when accelerating and feels like my car is "Chocked" On 1st and 2 gear. My Mechanic had a look at the car for few hours and diagnosed it with Carbon build up (50 % carbon build up). He said once the build up is quite large I will start receiving Code Errors something like P0340 and possibly having misfire .

I am looking to perform carbon build up clean up and looking for some advice. I called up few places who offered Walnut blasting services and they have advised me to get this service done after I get my Pistons cleaned which walnut blasting procedure up does not cover.

I Called Lexus and they offered to do Top Engine Clean Up Service which is basically soaking the engine with some chemicals and manually cleaning the pistons with a brush . Service Cost around $1000 Tax Included (6.5 hours Work and Some ring parts) 50% success rate with Heavy carbon build up .

I Would like to fully clean up my car from carbon deposits to avoid future problems ( In a non cheap SeaFoam way, Already tried 2 services that costed $160 from a mechanic which basically included blasting cleaning material through the Intake valve ) as I am looking to drive my car to the ground (until the engine dies) and I was told that once carbon build up is way too much . There is no actual fix even with Top Engine Clean up and will require engine replacement.

Is there any trusted Mechanic around in Ontario around the GTA area (Toronto) where I can drop off my car for the weekend and have it fully serviced for carbon clean up? looking to spend around $1500 and have a peace of mind that I could possibly drive my car to 300,000 kms or more.
i'm in Toronto too, i recommend you to bring it to dealership, Mech Shop in Toronto are cheesy don't waste your money since you want to keep the car longer, dealer will possibly replace your piston rings etc and they know what they're doing + warranty on top. 2nd advice is trade in for IS350. wish u luck my friend.
Old 02-19-17, 06:59 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

And the Oil Catch Can ! after you done your top engine clean buy an OIL CATCH CAN Kijiji it you'll find local Performance shop that has them, you gotta buy the expensive one with baffle that separate the oil flowby 1 in and 1 out, talk to the guy at the shop he'll knows what i'm talking about, don't buy the cheap Can with 2 tubes it won't help much.

And then you gotta buy an OEM PCV valve to replace your old one, go to Canadian Tires get some MAF sensor and Throttle body cleaner, you might want to fill Supreme Gas at SHELL Station only or Petro Canada, don't use Costco Esso Canadian Tires NoFrill gas station, Buy Fuel Injector at Canadian and put in your gas tank once per 2 tanks for 3 months and after that 3 times a year like once in awhile, there good brand names like Lucas or Seafoam etc. The MAF and Throttle body cleaner, i'm using CRC brands.

There is a thread DIY how to install oil catch can on here, if you read posts you'll find some people against it and don't believe that if it works or not, well it works for me and my car i don't care what people says, and about the PCV valve, some people says we don't need to replace it unless it dies or stucks, it is not on the regular maintenance etc. well PCV costs 10$ at Lexus Dealership, i still gonna replace it every year.

If you still confuse don't hesitate to PM me ill give u my number ill explain to you, i love helping people out ! did you know BMW and Mercedes has oil separator on their cars ? every person with Luxury car that i knew like Lotus Maserati Jaguar has an oil catch can on their cars. By the way if you can find a pro guy with Walnut blast with cheap price that's good but he needs to knows what he's doing.
The following 2 users liked this post by Solara350:
lexuspaaji (02-20-17), memoalkati (02-23-17)
Old 11-12-17, 06:51 AM
scruthirds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct me if I’m wrong, but has this issue been fixed on the 3rd gen and up IS250 engines?
Old 11-12-17, 09:14 AM
memoalkati
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scruthirds
Correct me if I’m wrong, but has this issue been fixed on the 3rd gen and up IS250 engines?
Yes is the short answer. However if you use cheap gas and oil. You will still run into the issue. Carbon build up is known for any direct fuel injection engine. BMWs are the worst . I would still recommond to walnut blast your car as part of maintenance every 80 000 kms if you'r planning to keep your car for long
Old 11-14-17, 06:07 AM
kjlgpw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes is the short answer? Has the valve buildup problem been fixed by Lexus or not? Has there been a design change to the 2.5 litre V6 engine? Cheap gas & oil makes no sense as far as a resolution. I've done my own oil changes for the past 45+ years using Mobil 1 since it was introduced. I buy premium (high octane) gasoline mostly at costco because they have the best price. I'm a long time BMW owner having owned 9 of them. Also owned a couple Porsche's and Mercedes. But my sons Toyota Corolla is so damn reliable I now want to buy a used IS250 RWD. I'm looking at 2013 through 2015 low mileage used IS250's but I'm worried about the intake valve problem. Has Lexus changed the design of the engine and solved the intake valve problem?
Old 11-16-17, 01:55 PM
PandaBear
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your car still qualify for the piston replacement TSB, let them change the piston / rings and take the engine apart to clean and rebuild it. You'll basically have a new engine and the new higher tension piston ring should reduce blow by so it won't happen again sooner than before. This delays when it will happen again, but will not permanently fix it.

If you already have it done before, then the only thing you can do after it already happen, is to walnut shell blast clean the intake valves like many BMW owners did. I heard it cost around $700-800 each time. Just look at it as an expensive maintenance plan.

I've seen a Korean research paper that said Group IV synthetic engine oil (i.e. those more expensive synthetic oil like Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Ultra, Mobil1 EP, Amsoil, etc) changed at shorter interval should reduce it by a lot. Running the engine at wide open throttle also help, so will using a lower volatility (less oil evaporated into PCV) and thicker engine oil like 10w30 (what I'm using). Ultimately the only real fix is to have a 2nd set of injectors on the port like IS350 did.
Old 11-16-17, 05:07 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by scruthirds
No, it hasn't. The problem is the direct-only fuel injection design. It has been improved slightly with the newer piston and ring design but the problem is the direct injection which hasn't changed. I don't believe they make this engine any more in the IS - they have a 2 liter turbo 4 and the 3.5 liter direct and port injection engine.
Old 11-16-17, 05:47 PM
bazzle01
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Water about using a water mist setup to slowly clean the inlet path?
Old 11-16-17, 06:45 PM
ssgpate
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just get the walnut blasting done... Since the IS is direct injection your getting fuel in the cylinder to clean the piston some so the piston should not be bad so dont worry about the pistons. You need and want some carbon build up on the piston to protect the surface from detonation... Just removing carbon from places here and there could create detonation spots/hot spots..... Just go for the walnut blasting make sure they totally clean out the upper and lower intake to include the blades on the lower intake// clean out the TB as well... I would also recommend mandatory new spark plugs and optional 02 sensors if you have not done them right after the walnut blasting so you get that like new gas mileage again...

Quick Reply: Carbon build up advice Lexus IS250