IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Brake Pad and Rotor Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-17, 10:04 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrfix
What's wrong with saving $400-$600 on a set of rotors when the ones you have still have plenty of meat on them? There was a time when your rotors could be turned 2+ times before you required a new ones but manufacturers figured out they could make them thinner and have the consumer buy a new set with every brake job.
I still have the same question. Why would you want to take material off a rotor and lessen it's life. Again, why would you want to grind material off a rotor

Lou
Old 08-25-17, 09:05 AM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I like the OEM Rotors the most since you can usually turn them at least once.

Tirerack.com has the Centric High Carbon along with the Centric Cryo Treated. They also carry Stoptech. I would stay away from the drilled or slotted and stick to a solid rotor since it is better for braking.

Here is a good video cover the different types of rotors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5avkYurbog

You could try to see if www.rockauto.com has the centrics. I know their stock isn't great. Not a lot of options unfortunately.
I have put drilled and slotted on all my cars never had a problem I have them on my is300 now and stop on a dime... I need a good low dust pad though any suggestions thnx...
Old 08-25-17, 09:40 AM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
I still have the same question. Why would you want to take material off a rotor and lessen it's life. Again, why would you want to grind material off a rotor

Lou
Over the span of a brake pads life the rotor can develop inconsistencies in it's surface. When installing new pads you want to recondition the surface of the rotor to provide a true and clean surface for the new pad to seat itself properly. This way giving you optimum braking.

Installing a new pads on a rotor that has been through a set of pads already and isn't turned can greatly reduce the new pads life and will not provide optimum braking capability.

Last edited by Mrfix; 08-25-17 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-25-17, 09:45 AM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ttsport15
I have put drilled and slotted on all my cars never had a problem I have them on my is300 now and stop on a dime... I need a good low dust pad though any suggestions thnx...
Why would you have a problem? For pads just pick the hardest ones you can find and that should solve your dust problems.
Old 08-25-17, 09:47 AM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Why would you have a problem? For pads just pick the hardest ones you can find and that should solve your dust problems.
it seems everyone bashing drilled and slotted rotors like there going to shatter like glass
Old 08-25-17, 10:04 AM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS25Heaven
Just watched the video, all information I already knew. No where in the video did he say that vented was better than vented slotted. So if you are saying solid is better than slotted because you can get them resurfaced, than by better you mean more economical. That doesnt that it brake distance or feel would be better vs a slotted. For me, I think when using the word better to describe a rotor, I would think performance not longevity. I 100% agree with you that a solid rotor makes most economical sense, but i wouldnt say has better performance.
At 2:19 he speaks about why they are basically just for looks on high end car models and that new pad technology really doesn't create gases like old pads once did. With a vented rotor you have more surface area and less prone to stress cracking and a bigger heat sink to take the heat from the pads all while cooling the rotor through the vanes. Drilled/Slotted rotors are basically a marketing thing or a cosmetic thing. They have become unnecessary with new technology. But don't let me hold you back. If you like the way it looks or think it improves your driving or the vehicles performance, awesome.....nothing wrong with that.

I would be interested why a slotted/drilled rotor would outperform an OEM rotor from Lexus keeping Pads and Calipers the same. I haven't come across any evidence and science doesn't suggest there is a difference.

Changing the rotor size, pads and calipers are probably the way to go if you want better braking and stopping performance.
Old 08-25-17, 10:17 AM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ttsport15
it seems everyone bashing drilled and slotted rotors like there going to shatter like glass
I just think there was a time and place for them. As technology moved forward with better alloys, machining and treatments they are a relic of the past (although cosmetically they are nice looking). You have to also take into account pad technology which has changed dramatically over the years.

The whole braking system is just that...a system and changing out your rotors to a drilled/slotted thinking they will enhance your vehicles performance imo is nonsense. Tires, Rotor size, Calipers, Pads are more relevant.

I have a feeling people put new drilled/slotted rotors on with new pads and then compare the performance to the end of life pads and rotors they had ...of course they feel better and the vehicle performs better...they're new...
Old 08-25-17, 02:28 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Agree 100% I don't feel any change at all in performance I personally like they way they look..
Old 08-25-17, 07:10 PM
IS25Heaven
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with your cross drilled and slotted comments, however on just slotted I think you are completely wrong.
Old 08-25-17, 07:57 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Over the span of a brake pads life the rotor can develop inconsistencies in it's surface. When installing new pads you want to recondition the surface of the rotor to provide a true and clean surface for the new pad to seat itself properly. This way giving you optimum braking.

Installing a new pads on a rotor that has been through a set of pads already and isn't turned can greatly reduce the new pads life and will not provide optimum braking capability.
That is simply not true. With any set of rotors, new or previously used, it is most important to bed in the new pads properly to transfer some of the brake material to the rotor to insure good braking with low noise. All resurfacing or turning does is remove material from the rotor robbing it of some of it's life.

Lou
Old 10-22-18, 10:59 AM
SickAF
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Skier76
This is what I just went with and I'm very happy with it so far. I have about 1,000 miles on the setup and so far, so good.

Figure out the thickness of your rotors before ordering. Looks like Lexus used different specs for different model years. I bought mine from Rockauto.com
Hi do you know what part number they were for the front ones?
Old 10-23-18, 10:18 AM
Arrta
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with some DuraGo BR90055002 for the back and DuraGo BR3131402 for the front. Similar to the OEM, but with the painted surfaces to reduce rusting. And I swear by the Akebono pads. The rotors look like they might be unbranded Centric's looking at a photo comparison.

The only reasons I had to replace my rotors and pads again so soon was due to a caliper failure. It ceased and was only pushing on one side of the rotor. I had replaced the caliper and though the pad/rotor would resolve itself, but the pitting on the side that was not getting touched caused the pad to wear down to nothing in a few months. I had to replace the rear pads again, and decided to do a full car rotor replacement at the same time. the front pads were still good, as I had replaced them a few months before.

Last edited by Arrta; 10-23-18 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-25-18, 12:53 PM
SickAF
Rookie

Default Squeling noise

This is what I just went with and I'm very happy with it so far. I have about 1,000 miles on the setup and so far, so good.

Figure out the thickness of your rotors before ordering. Looks like Lexus used different specs for different model years. I bought mine from Rockauto.com
hi do you get a loud squeling noise every morning?
Old 10-25-18, 01:34 PM
Arrta
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SickAF
hi do you get a loud squeling noise every morning?
That sounds like cheap pads, and the reason I swear by the Akebono pads, no dust buildup.
Old 10-25-18, 01:45 PM
SickAF
Rookie

Default A lot of reviews

Originally Posted by Arrta
That sounds like cheap pads, and the reason I swear by the Akebono pads, no dust buildup.
But I've read several reviews that Akebonos ProACT being very loud in the morning (after the car has sat serveral hours). Look em up on Amazon lol

Quick Reply: Brake Pad and Rotor Advice Needed