IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How long are you waiting for your Sticky/Cracking dash recall?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-17, 12:12 PM
g4driver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stopped by the local Lexus dealer today for the airbag recall and mentioned I was on the wait list for the dash replacement. The very friendly rep said "Why don't we do the airbag and dash at the same time?" I wasn't expecting that. I remembered being on the list in Jan 16, but the rep told me actually you have been on the list since Oct 2015.

He told me they were short on loaners and I said no problem. I don't need a loaner or a rental, just happy to be getting the airbag and dash replaced. Dropping the GX off on Monday June 24th.
Old 07-07-17, 11:20 AM
zeph
Driver School Candidate

I waited 17 months for a dash and two door panels for my '07 is250 in Seattle WA, but at long last the replacement is complete.

It boggles my mind how clumsy the roll-out of this recall was. During the waiting period I called the Lexus recall hotline a few times to check in, and each time was told that there were "plenty" of available parts so I should have mine 'any day now'. My local dealership said that might be true, but that there didn't seem to be any system in place for distributing them equally to each dealership so some places had literally dozens in stock with no backlog, and other places wouldn't receive a single unit for months at a time. You would think a car manufacturer would have supply-chain management dialed in for something like this :/
Old 07-13-17, 08:14 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Got my dash and panel replaced. As someone already mention here definitely check everything out and make sure everything is installed correctly etc. Had the car for over a week now and today just noticed this (the wavy line of the dash by the windshield) :
How long are you waiting for your Sticky/Cracking dash recall?-img_1046.jpg
How long are you waiting for your Sticky/Cracking dash recall?-img_1049.jpg
also a gap by the driver air vent:
How long are you waiting for your Sticky/Cracking dash recall?-img_1047.jpg

I'm afraid now that if i'll go to the dealership, they just gonna ignore the issue and nobody's gonna do anything about it.
Old 07-13-17, 10:02 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
Got my dash and panel replaced. As someone already mention here definitely check everything out and make sure everything is installed correctly etc. Had the car for over a week now and today just noticed this (the wavy line of the dash by the windshield) :
Attachment 412887
Attachment 412888
Attachment 412889

I'm afraid now that if i'll go to the dealership, they just gonna ignore the issue and nobody's gonna do anything about it.
take it back, if it wasn't like that before they replaced it they have to fix it.
Old 07-26-17, 05:06 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm taking my car in for the dash replacement this Friday. I'm going to take pictures before as I don't trust these dumbass techs at all. It wouldn't be the first time they messed something up.

For those of you that had issues, did they fix it?
Old 09-21-17, 01:15 PM
lexdoog
Driver School Candidate

Been waiting 2 years at Lexus of Orlando (Winter Park). Had an appointment yesterday for my airbag recall, and they told me they were also going to do my dash. Still have a loaner car and hopefully will pickup today. No idea on how much longer for my door panels....
Old 09-21-17, 07:08 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Doors panel take forever. Over 2 years and still didn't hear anything about door panel
Old 09-22-17, 12:24 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
Attachment 412887
Attachment 412888
Attachment 412889

I have that same thing on the top of the dash (that little piece that isn't completely flat), along with a gap in the center vents. Unfortunately for me, it may be too long since I had the dash done (May 2017 iirc) to go back. It's been bothering me more and more lately. I would need to find the receipt to see if there was any implied warranty though, which I doubt they'd even bother with now.

edit: Found a receipt for my door panels at least, mentions a 1 year limited service warranty regardless of mileage for the repair or service. May give my service advisor a call later and ask about it.

Last edited by Zmon; 09-22-17 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-22-17, 12:35 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered the dash and all 4 door panels for my 2007 IS250, and they still are on back order (it's only been like 4/5 months).

I purchased a 2008 IS350, and it does not have problems with the dash or door panels, but the car only has 40k miles on it. What is your guys opinion on this. When I went in like 4 months ago they said that the panels we're fine, but I tried to say that is just because it is such low mileage and has been garaged. I don't want to get to 80-100k miles and have the dash start melting. Should I park it facing the sun everyday and just have it try to get baked and have it replaced. I am not trying to use the system, its just that if I get to a higher mileage and it starts melting it will be quite frustrating... what are your thoughts?
Old 09-22-17, 12:38 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by MDHLexus
I ordered the dash and all 4 door panels for my 2007 IS250, and they still are on back order (it's only been like 4/5 months).

I purchased a 2008 IS350, and it does not have problems with the dash or door panels, but the car only has 40k miles on it. What is your guys opinion on this. When I went in like 4 months ago they said that the panels we're fine, but I tried to say that is just because it is such low mileage and has been garaged. I don't want to get to 80-100k miles and have the dash start melting. Should I park it facing the sun everyday and just have it try to get baked and have it replaced. I am not trying to use the system, its just that if I get to a higher mileage and it starts melting it will be quite frustrating... what are your thoughts?
You could always try escalating it with corporate if the dealer doesn't want to do anything. Depending on your cars first date of entering service, secondary coverage will be ending soon for you.
Old 09-22-17, 12:46 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

The recall is specific on the manufacture date of the dashboards and panels. If your defective items fall under the suspect lots, then you will get replacements. if not, it will suggest that they will hold up per design. Makes sense?

The VIN contains full traceability of all the components that get assembled to a car.

Toyota stepping up in this recall is what you can term "goodwill." Good decision for Toyota. Remember that Toyota spent billions on the airbag recall, due to Takata's failure.

Takata is no longer, they went bankrupt. GM followed with the ignition fiasco. The OEMs have learned their lesson. Good.
Old 09-22-17, 01:27 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Takata is no longer, they went bankrupt. GM followed with the ignition fiasco. The OEMs have learned their lesson. Good.
Takata is still in business. They filed for bankruptcy protection back in June. Much of the business has been sold, but Takata is still in business and is still making replacement inflators.

Lou
Old 09-22-17, 03:01 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
The recall is specific on the manufacture date of the dashboards and panels. If your defective items fall under the suspect lots, then you will get replacements. if not, it will suggest that they will hold up per design. Makes sense?

The VIN contains full traceability of all the components that get assembled to a car.

Yes, the vin contains full traceability, but they don't do it off of VIN. They visually inspect your dashboard to see if it has melted, and my secondary coverage is ending in November. So in theory, my dash would need to be damaged before November, so they could visually see it and then order the parts. So my car may be in part of the batch that had faulty dashboards, but if it isn't faulty by November they won't order new ones.
Old 09-22-17, 07:27 PM
ISkahuna
Driver School Candidate

I got my dash replaced last week in California. I was only on the waitlist for a week. Go figure.
Old 01-23-18, 10:36 PM
usna2011
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still waiting on mine. Was stationed in Virginia Beach, VA and got put on that list. Waited for over an year on that list. I ended moving to Texas and found out every dealer had its own list. Bang, to the bottom of the Texas dealership list. I ended up getting the Dash put in July 2017, but no luck on the doors. My doors look nasty. My clothes gets stained by the doors. It leaves this blue color on my clothes. From time to time I will get some of that gunk on my nails if i scratch the door. Had some work done on the car because of hail damage, the car came back in worst shape since the panels were removed to get rid of some of the dents. New nicks and gashes show up every week.

Quick Reply: How long are you waiting for your Sticky/Cracking dash recall?