IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cooled seat question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-17, 06:10 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cooled seat question

Ok, it feels as if both my lower back and butt feels the heat when the seat heaters are on, but when the coolers are on only my butt feels it. Is this right?
Old 03-22-17, 06:14 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 185 Posts

Pretty much, the fan itself isn't very strong. Lexus probably didn't feel like putting in a stronger fan or a second fan on the back of ths seat.

The seat heater element goes throughout the seat so that's why you'll feel that everywhere.
Old 03-22-17, 07:28 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

So yours is the same way eh?
Old 03-22-17, 07:57 AM
Zmon
Racer

Yeah, bottom is fine. Don't feel much on my back. My RX is almost as bad about that too. One thing to possibly look at is if the fan itself is dirty.

One way you can sort of get some "feeling" back there is direct the floor vent with a piece of cardboard, or something, up into the fan under the seat. You'll feel the cooler air, even if it's not really blowing all that hard.
Old 03-22-17, 08:03 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

That's not a bad idea.
Old 03-22-17, 09:35 AM
XSV
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

My cooling seats don't cool at all. I only feel the air when I wear basketball shorts. Other than that, it's pretty useless.
Old 03-22-17, 10:07 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

How many miles on your car?
Old 03-22-17, 10:21 AM
Zmon
Racer

Originally Posted by XSV
My cooling seats don't cool at all. I only feel the air when I wear basketball shorts. Other than that, it's pretty useless.
Just remember, they're "Ventilated" seats, not "Cooled". They don't actually have any A/C ducting being routed to them. They just pull air off the floor of the car. Right under the fan rests the rear floor duct that you can put a piece of cardboard and direct upwards (as I mention above). I can feel some cooled air coming out after doing this. Without this little mod, don't feel much at all.
Old 03-22-17, 10:48 AM
XSV
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
How many miles on your car?
right under 164k

Originally Posted by Zmon
Just remember, they're "Ventilated" seats, not "Cooled". They don't actually have any A/C ducting being routed to them. They just pull air off the floor of the car. Right under the fan rests the rear floor duct that you can put a piece of cardboard and direct upwards (as I mention above). I can feel some cooled air coming out after doing this. Without this little mod, don't feel much at all.
That's what I was trying to get at. I don't feel air unless I wear basketball shorts with the holes in them. I'll put this on my to-do list.
Old 03-22-17, 05:57 PM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Ah ok. Thanks!
Old 07-14-19, 07:49 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

As Zmon stated, they are "ventilated" as opposed to "cooled". My LS was barely noticeable, but better than nothing. However, on my SHO, the cooled seats are crazy cold by comparison. After a few minutes, I need to turn it off, or risk freezer burn to my man-parts.
Old 07-14-19, 12:10 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
As Zmon stated, they are "ventilated" as opposed to "cooled". My LS was barely noticeable, but better than nothing. However, on my SHO, the cooled seats are crazy cold by comparison. After a few minutes, I need to turn it off, or risk freezer burn to my man-parts.
I believe Ford really has A/C ok there seats. Not %100 sure but I think that the new Lexus Does too
Old 07-14-19, 09:28 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cooling like another person pointed out is nonexistent.
Sure you can run the fan but I wouldn’t consider this feature as a determining factor as far as purchasing an LS. They don’t have cold water running down the tubes.
The heat on the other hand is legit.
Old 07-15-19, 02:39 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 877 Likes on 661 Posts

Our Automatic HVAC system directs warm air to only the floor in the winter and cool air to only
the dashboard vents when it is hot. Everybody on this thread is correct that the seat is venting
the relatively cool floor air up through the seats...to your seat. Quickest and most effective
tweek in the summer is to simply tap the HVAC Mode button once. Dash display will reflect
the change from dash only to dash and floor. The air handling sound will diminish slightly and
you will feel a draft on your sandals. Moments later the seats will begin to chill. Try it!
Old 07-15-19, 06:27 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Julez
The cooling like another person pointed out is nonexistent.
Sure you can run the fan but I wouldn’t consider this feature as a determining factor as far as purchasing an LS. They don’t have cold water running down the tubes.
The heat on the other hand is legit.
The LS actually does have an electronic refrigeration unit in their seats. That's a fact.

Quick Reply: Cooled seat question