IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

LED Fog Light Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-20, 08:17 PM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Trolling55
I never had anyone do that to me before but i've had on coming traffic flashing me so i flashed them back.

I have the DDM HID in my fogs

whats great for Personal safety in your vehicle is Lightening technology is so much better than even 10 years ago where HIDs were a higher end vehicle only feature and more so now, about 5 years since LEDs are becoming more affordable and even standard equipment on newer OEM vehicles

the downside is there are many more Cars putting out far superior Light on the road from OEM manufacturers

the only safe way to combat this is making sure you have equivalent equipment...imo

as long as your not putting HIDs in a old school Housing and more so blinding other drivers...you should be fine:

LED Fog Light Upgrade-jpeg2kb.jpg
Old 03-01-20, 12:27 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Lightbulb Morimoto XB LED Fog lights

PASTE from Build thread.... Post #88 here....
New goodies came. Fog light swap time. Out with the H11 and in with some LEDs. Morimoto Lexus XB LEDs.
http://www.morimotohid.com/lexus-morimoto-xb-led.html
For the 2011-2013 and pretty much all Toyotas of that era or newer these are a drop in.

Thread started on BEAN/MPX communications to override the stalk control and turn fogs on with running lights or headlights.
Fog Light Override via BEAN MPX protocol

This seems hopeful! Powered the LED fogs with a motorcycle battery to see the pattern. It's one big rectangular cutoff...
PROS:
Color matched the 55,000K HIDs. Quick easy install as they slip into the OEM mount. See next picture set. They offer great coverage projecting down the down. They are fog lights, not driving lights so there are limits to the projection.

CONS:
One gripe about the these is the cutoff is like 6 spurs of light in off directions. There are 3 LEDs and and one focus lens like a curved rectangular element that kicks out light at odd angles where the LEDs output overlaps. They are not the same angle so it leads to strays. These are not for purest if you want that super clean cut off.

Morimoto XB Lexus Fogs at night....

INSTALLED:
I pulled the fender liners back but it would have been easier to drop the under panel.
If anyone does this the cars white black wire is ground as you insert the connectors in the plug yourself.
Ground = white/black trace --> to LED black wire

Also, there are only two short screws holding the housing to the bumper. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER SCREW that is longer or your strip the bumpers hole and your light will fall out. Why they only used two screws is beyond me...

Now for some nighttime adjustments. Thankfully yoda plastic has a hole for this....
The downside about adjusting them is the Phillips screwdriver needed to reach up through the plastic has to be long enough to reach the adjuster, which means you can't get it under the car unless you drive up on blocks. lol So it was somewhat time consuming to adjust them.

As usual, phone does the color no justice. But both are 55000k now.

Halogens still have the Osram H11's in them.

^^ If you look inside you see the focus lens I was talking about.
The following users liked this post:
GR3Y5H3ART (03-02-20)
Old 03-02-20, 02:05 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm using a $15 Amazon kit for a year now no issues m same with my headlights. $24 Amazon kit got it when I swapped my headlights to spec d. No issues
Old 03-02-20, 03:08 AM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
CONS:
One gripe about the these is the cutoff is like 6 spurs of light in off directions. There are 3 LEDs and and one focus lens like a curved rectangular element that kicks out light at odd angles where the LEDs output overlaps. They are not the same angle so it leads to strays. These are not for purest if you want that super clean cut off.
good info!...i see the 3 rectangle style LEDs mainly on Jeeps...maybe its because the IS is definitely lower in stance than a Jeep and thats causing the 6 Spurs?

Old 03-02-20, 03:26 AM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

i'm going to MERGE into this Thread from fellow CL Members i found very helpful during my install for any future Members

good info...lots of pics:

DIY: Adding aftermarket JDM-style fog lights to your IS250 IS200t IS350-F Sport Only
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...port-only.html

F-Sport Fog lights
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-lights-5.html

super hardcore / purist OEM style:

Plug&Play F-Sport Foglights/Auto Wipers (DIY)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ipers-diy.html

DRL and fog lights on together?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-together.html

this is how mine turned out...still gotta finish the switch and clean up the wiring but having full control of these is nice:

LED Fog Light Upgrade-uh2aqi5.jpg

LED Fog Light Upgrade-pdb0fo4.jpg

LED Fog Light Upgrade-1ejisqw.jpg

wall:
LED Fog Light Upgrade-k07jvd1.jpg

closer of same wall:...lol
LED Fog Light Upgrade-nkce4gh.jpg

what OEM DRLs produce light wise:
LED Fog Light Upgrade-ddk9doq.jpg

with OEM Headlights on....perfectly cutoff by Lexus:
​​​​​​​LED Fog Light Upgrade-e1iut6f.jpg

Old 03-02-20, 09:57 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,271 Posts

Originally Posted by GR3Y5H3ART
good info!...i see the 3 rectangle style LEDs mainly on Jeeps...maybe its because the IS is definitely lower in stance than a Jeep and thats causing the 6 Spurs?

On the interstate they light up the Jersey barrier well... this is when you notice the stray rays.
I suppose I should get a photo or three....

A pic out in the boonies.

Old 03-02-20, 03:58 PM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

update: finished Interior switch to be fully controlled, didn't tap into OEM wiring because i rarely if ever want to risk potential damage to OEM system.

please excuse the mess, it was freezing this morning after getting some snow

LED Fog Light Upgrade-ttumhfc.jpg

LED Fog Light Upgrade-zlmwuvu.jpg

LED Fog Light Upgrade-ns71zze.jpg