Time for new brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-17, 01:59 PM
Re3iRtH
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for new brakes

Hello all,
106k on the odometer, and recently someone told me there is 3 mm on the front, and 3 mm left on the rear brake pads. Admittedly, the car does not brake
as well as it used to.
The car gets less than 3k miles per year, and is driven exclusively April - Sept. My question is, can I go ahead and replace the pads only, and not the rotors?
Since this car doesn't get driven much here in interior Alaska, what is the best but most economical way to handle this? I think they quoted me around $1500
for pads and rotors last I checked. Thanks guys.
Old 04-29-17, 02:08 PM
knyg
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Holy **** that is way expensive. You can buy a set of 4 rotors for $250. Also, brake pad minimum is 1mm. But you live in Alaska so I suggest you change them. Idk how much pads are but it's not that expensive. I'm going to guess it's going to be around $350 for pads and rotors. You don't really need to change rotors but that's up to you, might as well.

Total job, including material and labor, should be around $500-600

Whoever quoted you $1500 for the job, run. Run fast and far from that person.
Old 04-29-17, 02:19 PM
Re3iRtH
Driver

Originally Posted by knyg
Holy **** that is way expensive. You can buy a set of 4 rotors for $250. Also, brake pad minimum is 1mm. But you live in Alaska so I suggest you change them. Idk how much pads are but it's not that expensive. I'm going to guess it's going to be around $350 for pads and rotors. You don't really need to change rotors but that's up to you, might as well.

Total job, including material and labor, should be around $500-600

Whoever quoted you $1500 for the job, run. Run fast and far from that person.
If its only $500, I should go ahead and do both pads and rotors! The labor in Hawaii and Alaska is not like anywhere else.
I think the quote was for "like oem" rotors and pads.
Is there a specific brand or website you'd recommend so I can have it shipped to my place, then go ahead and shop around for the installation. Cheers.
Old 04-29-17, 02:25 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Measure the rotors. If they are still within specs and are not damaged or rusty, you don't have to replace them. Pads are easy to replace yourself, there are some DIY threads on here. As for brand, OEM is fine. You can buy some OEM ones off eBay.
Old 04-29-17, 02:55 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

check amazon.com I bought brembo rotors for all 4 wheels for under $200, another 50 for pads and paid a friend $100 to install. I bet you can find a shop in AK to do install for under $300 and you provide parts.
Old 04-29-17, 03:53 PM
knyg
Pole Position

You can search online for rotors that fit your car. I bought slotted and drilled rotors from brand "e-line". They run fine and are coated with zinc to prevent rust. ~$240 from newegg.com

brake pad and rotors are medium level in difficulty but there are many DIY on here that you can watch.

Dont find dealerships or body shops to do this job. Find aftermarket auto customization shops.

Goodluck
Old 04-29-17, 03:59 PM
Re3iRtH
Driver

Thank you guys.
I was just about to post these I found:
Amazon Amazon
I think its the E-LINE brand you are referring to? I know its R1's economy line, how well do you think it would hold up compared to the OEM? I have original rotors
and original or replaced once brake pads, I don't expect to get anywhere near that from something this cheap, but 30k miles would be great!
Old 04-29-17, 04:02 PM
Skier76
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with Rock Auto. I went with the Centric Rotors and Akebono pads front and rear. The cars stops unbelievably well now. You may want to check your rear calipers first. I had the dealer replace my rear pads and rotors...and my rear calipers were seized. Get those checked out and if they need replacing, Rock Auto as well.
Old 04-29-17, 04:02 PM
knyg
Pole Position

Honestly. OEM brakes suck so much. After I upgraded to new rotors and pads, I can actually feel the brakes gripping.
Old 04-29-17, 05:00 PM
Re3iRtH
Driver

Originally Posted by Skier76
Go with Rock Auto. I went with the Centric Rotors and Akebono pads front and rear. The cars stops unbelievably well now. You may want to check your rear calipers first. I had the dealer replace my rear pads and rotors...and my rear calipers were seized. Get those checked out and if they need replacing, Rock Auto as well.
That website is ridiculous. See if you can see this: http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/l...hub,rotor,1896
Centric (performance) rotors - for a SINGLE rear rotor its $74.79, for BOTH rear rotors its $50.79
Does that make sense to anyone? Not sure if I should trust a site that charges way more for a single rotor then they do for both rotors. I mean, its not even close!!
Old 04-29-17, 05:37 PM
XSV
Instructor

I just bought StopTech rotors with Akebono pads for my bbk on my IS250
Old 04-29-17, 06:17 PM
Re3iRtH
Driver

Originally Posted by XSV
I just bought StopTech rotors with Akebono pads for my bbk on my IS250
How are you liking them?

Curious if anyone else has used that Rock Auto website with success. It seems like there is so much to choose from, within brands and choosing from economy vs. standard vs. performance etc.
Old 04-29-17, 08:18 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^I use rock auto all the time, especially for brakes. The powerstop stuff is great
Old 04-29-17, 08:24 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Thats crazy expensive!!!! I bought 4 stoptech drilled rotors, 4 akebono brake pads and motul rbf600 brake fluid for less than $550!!
Old 04-29-17, 08:58 PM
XSV
Instructor

Originally Posted by Re3iRtH
How are you liking them?

Curious if anyone else has used that Rock Auto website with success. It seems like there is so much to choose from, within brands and choosing from economy vs. standard vs. performance etc.
Haven't installed them yet, waiting for the calipers to come back from powder coating. I've used Rock Auto before, it's legit.

Quick Reply: Time for new brakes