IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question about headlight lens

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-17, 11:44 AM
Mrfouche
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about headlight lens

So i am thinking of doing a lens swap to a clear lens. If i go that route with swapping the lens will i have a better light output. I do have a hid kit just trying to think if it i can get the better light output to swap the lens or just say screw it and go aftermarket headlight like vipmoto?
Old 05-07-17, 12:24 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 183 Posts

Did the car originally come with halogens, and you just swapped a HID kit into it?

Anyways, regardless, our projectors are not the greatest. A lens swap will really only sharpen the beam on these projectors (regardless if they came halogen or HID from the factory). Some projectors see good results with a clear lens, ours does not. You can probably get a nice color band by using a spacer with the STI-r lens, but again, don't expect any increase in light output, only a sharp cutoff. The only solution is to swap the projector itself, but that'll require quite a bit of modification on our headlights. I think Jeff Lange did this mod a while ago, maybe he can chime in.

As for aftermarket headlights, they're almost always worse than OEM. AFAIK, TRS does sell some projector kits that will plug and play (or with a little bit of modification) into aftermarket housings (Spyders or Spec-d anyways) that will be better than what comes with the aftermarket headlights, and possibly better than OEM.

Last edited by Zmon; 05-07-17 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-07-17, 02:59 PM
Mrfouche
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zmon
Did the car originally come with halogens, and you just swapped a HID kit into it?

Anyways, regardless, our projectors are not the greatest. A lens swap will really only sharpen the beam on these projectors (regardless if they came halogen or HID from the factory). Some projectors see good results with a clear lens, ours does not. You can probably get a nice color band by using a spacer with the STI-r lens, but again, don't expect any increase in light output, only a sharp cutoff. The only solution is to swap the projector itself, but that'll require quite a bit of modification on our headlights. I think Jeff Lange did this mod a while ago, maybe he can chime in

As for aftermarket headlights, they're almost always worse than OEM. AFAIK, TRS does sell some projector kits that will plug and play (or with a little bit of modification) into aftermarket housings (Spyders or Spec-d anyways) that will be better than what comes with the aftermarket headlights, and possibly better than OEM.
Can you post the links to afaik or trs. If not can you send the links to me in a message
Old 05-07-17, 03:33 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 183 Posts

afaik = as far as i know

As for TRS, https://www.theretrofitsource.com/