IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Replaced alternator and car wont crank!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-17, 07:29 PM
Arrta
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, considering that you replaced the alternator.. Did you verify you connected the cables back up? What about the belt and pulleys?
I know, its a DUMB question, but with the car not turning over or even trying, short of the starter failing entirely, thats the only thing I got for you.. That or take it to a shop, which means getting a tow at this point.
Old 05-09-17, 07:31 PM
loydd24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes Ive made sure everything was put in correctly and plugged in, belt is tight and the pulleys are tightened to torque specs
Old 05-09-17, 07:37 PM
Arrta
Rookie

Did you do any other work while you did the alternator replacement?
For example, when I did my plugs I sprayed seafoam in to the intake to try and clean any deposits that were there. I also replaced the PCV valve as it was right there, and needed to be done

It really sounds like you have a starter issue at this point, and since I have not done the alternator on mine, I don't know if there is any way to mess up, hit anything you shouldn't. The video's I have seen when investigating how to do it, to try and help you, show it should be pretty simple.
Old 05-09-17, 07:40 PM
loydd24
Driver School Candidate

It was very simple to replace took me maybe 3 hours in and out (one hour dedicated to the stupid bolt that you can't see) plugged it all in, reinstalled the battery charged it up and tried to start it and it doesn't start
Old 05-09-17, 07:44 PM
Arrta
Rookie

Did it at all attempt to turn over after you replaced the alternator? If yes, have you tried completely disconnecting the battery terminals for 20 mins to clear the ECU again? Maybe something is ****ed up and its not reporting?
Old 05-09-17, 07:46 PM
loydd24
Driver School Candidate

I left the battery out for 3 hours and put it back in 20 minutes ago and tried to start it and still nothing. It hasn't attempted to start since Ive replaced it
Old 05-09-17, 07:56 PM
Arrta
Rookie

Best I got for you: http://www.lextreme.com/dx-starter.html
Old 05-10-17, 11:18 AM
loydd24
Driver School Candidate

Ive narrowed it down to a short somewhere on the way to the starter. I'm about to go check and see if I'm getting power at the starter. Can anyone tell me why fuse is in circuit between the relay and the starter? Or a diagram if possible
Old 05-10-17, 07:35 PM
loydd24
Driver School Candidate

Jacked the car up and was about to start hitting on the starter and it started before I hit on it. I checked the oil and it was a little low. Is there a sensor that wont let the car start if the oil is low enough? Sucks that I took days trying to diagnose the problem and it fixed itself
Old 05-10-17, 08:50 PM
Arrta
Rookie

I'm not sure the car knows if you are low on oil. That would be an interesting sensor to have though, considering it could gunk up.
When you say jacked it up, do you mean the floor stand, or an actual lift? Was the car angled? It could have some been an anti-theft cutoff that was doing it, and if the car got angled right it might have been reset?? Just a weird idea, and considering it resolved itself, it could literally be anything, even a faulty cable, which would mean it might happen again a day, week, month from now.
Old 05-11-17, 04:46 AM
loydd24
Driver School Candidate

Ive checked just about every fuse and made sure power was running to the fuses,alternator,and starter. Its just weird that Ive probably tried starting over 100 times on the ground and the second I lift it up with a floor jack, it cranks first start. I dropped it down and it starts up perfectly everytime now.
Old 05-11-17, 10:35 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

How much oil did you need to add for it to be at the correct level? If it's burning or loosing it somewhere. That should be a concern.
Old 05-11-17, 12:16 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrta
I'm not sure the car knows if you are low on oil. That would be an interesting sensor to have though, considering it could gunk up.
There is an oil level sensor. https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...491-30061.html

When the oil level drops a bit below the low mark on the dipstick, "LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL" or something similar will be displayed in the instrument panel display. I don't think it prevents the car from starting.
Old 05-11-17, 12:53 PM
loydd24
Driver School Candidate

I had to put about a quart in, but i was shorted when I had my oil changed
Old 05-12-17, 09:28 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
There is an oil level sensor. https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...491-30061.html

When the oil level drops a bit below the low mark on the dipstick, "LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL" or something similar will be displayed in the instrument panel display. I don't think it prevents the car from starting.
Yes you are correct. I've had low oil before and it started fine

Quick Reply: Replaced alternator and car wont crank!