IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 IS250 Question [headlight upgrade options for factory HID]

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-17, 09:26 AM
6speedLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 IS250 Question [headlight upgrade options for factory HID]

I just joined the club today. Ive owned my 06 is250 for about a year and I love it. Its a great daily driver. Took me a while to find a 6 speed but once I did i fell in love. (still slow) .

My question is one I see alot but never have found a solid answer. My car has the factory HID headlights. I have restored them to look a little better but there is discoloration inside the headlights. So Id like to upgrade. the Oem 2012 headlights are awesome but more than I can justify spending. All of the headlights I see for sale online only work with the halogen equipped headlights. Is there a way to make them work, or is there an aftermarket option that will work with my factory HID headlamps?
Old 05-12-17, 09:47 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Unfortunately, if you're looking for better light output, you'll need to retrofit projectors from another car into your housings (e.g. Honda S2000 D2S projectors). Aftermarkets have even worse output than both factory HID or halogen on these cars.

As for the 2011+ headlight, the projector itself is the same as the rest of the years that came with HIDs. Only difference is the LED DRL.
Old 05-12-17, 10:13 AM
6speedLex
Driver School Candidate

Im very happy with the output of my factory headlights. the auto leveling feature is cool. But since my headlights are so ugly due to discoloration id like to upgrade to a better looking headlight. Something like the oem 2012 headlights but with out the cost. Is it possible to fit my HID bulbs and ballast into an aftermarket headlight?
Old 05-12-17, 01:42 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by 6speedLex
Im very happy with the output of my factory headlights. the auto leveling feature is cool. But since my headlights are so ugly due to discoloration id like to upgrade to a better looking headlight. Something like the oem 2012 headlights but with out the cost. Is it possible to fit my HID bulbs and ballast into an aftermarket headlight?
No, those aftermarket housings use H1 halogens. You will lose the auto leveling and swivel features. Your D4S bulbs and ballasts will not work with them either. I recall someone was coming out with a aftermarket headlight that came with stock d2s/d4s bulbs (or at least was an easier HID swap for those coming from stock HIDs instead of stock halogens).

If you're concerned about the look of your headlights, many places offer headlight refinishing services. I know Sams Club charges $30 and they actually place a layer of UV clear on the headlights when they're done cleaning them. Another alternative is just grabbing another pair of headlights without the LEDs that aren't yellowed, you can find decent looking ones for relatively cheap.
Old 05-14-17, 12:10 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmon
No, those aftermarket housings use H1 halogens. You will lose the auto leveling and swivel features. Your D4S bulbs and ballasts will not work with them either. I recall someone was coming out with a aftermarket headlight that came with stock d2s/d4s bulbs (or at least was an easier HID swap for those coming from stock HIDs instead of stock halogens).

If you're concerned about the look of your headlights, many places offer headlight refinishing services. I know Sams Club charges $30 and they actually place a layer of UV clear on the headlights when they're done cleaning them. Another alternative is just grabbing another pair of headlights without the LEDs that aren't yellowed, you can find decent looking ones for relatively cheap.

aftermarket headlight is using H7 for low beam and h1 for high beam. If you want to go with aftermarket headlight you would need HID kit, On top of that, you will lost your AFS function -that is the reason why all aftermarket headlight STATED won't work on HID equipment car due to this reason.
my car did have HID AFS headlight but now i'm running on aftermarket headlight and very happy with it.
As for the light output, it's depend on your choice like color temp, who make it, etc...
Factory halogen (h11) with HID conversion is no match for aftermarket set with (h7) HID conversion.
Factory HID AFS is a bit wider output but crappy cut off light vs after market light has sharper cutoff light but the just a little narrow compare to factory due to smaller projector.
*My set up is Morimoto H7 5500k
I also did install the DDM tuning kit (around $80) for another car and the output is nearly same

Last edited by whitebeast; 05-14-17 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-14-17, 05:52 PM
6speedLex
Driver School Candidate

yeah im thinking its kind of worth it. I dont mind losing the AFS if I can get a better looking headlight im surprised no one has developed an aftermarket headlight that will at least accept the factory HID bulb.