IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Considering purchasing high mileage 07 IS350, assistance requested

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-17, 07:36 PM
revaldo29
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering purchasing high mileage 07 IS350, assistance requested

I am considering a 07 IS350 with 155k miles and would like to get input on whether the car has been cared for appropriately. The car was purchased by the current owner in 2009 with 20k miles on it. Service records are attached. It has been serviced regularly at the Lexus dealership since 2009. Asking $7750. Reports a mild front collision which required bumper replacement (will confirm with carfax). I plan to have a prepurchase inspection at the dealership if this community feels the car is ok for my driving needs.

My situatioin: Currently drive a honda accord 4 cyclinder with over 100k miles and am bored of it. Not enough power, not fun. I only drive about 200-250 miles a month and need this car for only 3 years (at which point I will finish graduate school and get a newer car). I have more than adequate cash reserve for repairs and could afford a car with less mileage, but if I can get away with spending less and enjoying this car for another 10-15k miles without risking major repairs I would prefer to save my money. In my area an 06-08 IS350 with <100k miles would cost 4-6K more. To me this car seems to be well cared for and probably the best I can hope for in this price range.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
is350 austin service record.pdf (181.1 KB, 221 views)
Old 05-16-17, 08:45 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Dash and door panel parts were ordered back in November 2015. I would see where they are with that, and if the current order is transferable to you as it'd suck to join in at the end of the line and have to wait a year or two to get the dash and door panels replaced (especially considering primary coverage ends this month, otherwise, I believe it's 9 years from the day the car first entered service, which it's long past that for an 07). The glare, and tackiness coming off these parts is a huge nuisance and sucks to live with. Airbag recall hasn't been done. No mention of changing the differential fluid (did mention inspecting it but not changing it) or the transmission fluid. PCV valve needs to be inspected, and most likely changed at that mileage as well. Otherwise, it looks like the car was cared for. I'd def check the headlight aim considering that accident (find a wall, get about 25ft back and see how even the cutoffs are for both sides). Check for water pump leaks (check the weep hole area). Check the condition of the drive belt (should not be cracking at all) as it didn't mention anything about changing it, most likely needs to be replaced if it's the original belt (10 years and Tx heat will do a number on rubber).

TBH, it's a fairly high mileage 350. Even if you plan on keeping it for 3 years, do you really think you'll only put on 9-12k miles in that time? Just need to consider the possibility of repairs happening more frequently on a much higher mileage car compared to one 50-60k lower.
Old 05-17-17, 10:42 AM
revaldo29
Driver School Candidate

I called and spoke to the dealership where this car was serviced. They report no open recalls on the car and dash/door panel and passenger airbag were replaced, not sure why it's not showing up in the online service history. Fluid , pcv valves, and drive belt have not been replaced. Water pump has not been replaced.

I really only expect to put 10k mikes on the car in the next 3 years, but I don't want to deal with frequent repairs as I am busy with graduate school.

What do you think is the cost to change the water pump, pcv valves, and drive belt ?
Old 05-17-17, 11:03 AM
Zmon
Racer

PCV valve is $10, give or take depending on the dealer. A drive belt is cheap if you go aftermarket. Water pump will typically run from $80-120 depending if it's OEM or not. Just for reference, I bought a OEM Lexus/Toyota branded water pump that ran me $112 from Amazon. A non-Toyota/Lexus branded pump from Aisin is about $95 (same exact pump, just without the Toyota stamping as Aisin makes the pumps for these engine). Bought a oem belt as well that ran me $36. Aftermarket belts will be significantly cheaper. iirc, I paid $10 for a pcv valve last year from my dealer. All of this is easily DIY'able yourself as these cars are relatively easy to work on, imo anyways.

At the very least, I'd def change the pcv valve. Inspect the drive belt and replace if necessary. Water pump is a don't fix it it ain't broken kind of thing, but if it looks like it's leaking at all, change it.

As for the dash/door panels and airbag, I'd see if the dealer can provide those records as my Lexus owners page shows that my airbag and dash were replaced in the service records. Probably someone got lazy and just never input them into the system for that car.

Last edited by Zmon; 05-17-17 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-17-17, 02:12 PM
2grfan
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Meh, life is too short to drive boring cars. You're going in with the right attitude. If there are costs they shouldn't be to high. Buy it so you can enjoy a much more dynamic car than a 4 cylinder fwd.
Old 05-17-17, 04:55 PM
Brian7
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmon
PCV valve is $10, give or take depending on the dealer. A drive belt is cheap if you go aftermarket. Water pump will typically run from $80-120 depending if it's OEM or not. Just for reference, I bought a OEM Lexus/Toyota branded water pump that ran me $112 from Amazon. A non-Toyota/Lexus branded pump from Aisin is about $95 (same exact pump, just without the Toyota stamping as Aisin makes the pumps for these engine). Bought a oem belt as well that ran me $36. Aftermarket belts will be significantly cheaper. iirc, I paid $10 for a pcv valve last year from my dealer. All of this is easily DIY'able yourself as these cars are relatively easy to work on, imo anyways.

At the very least, I'd def change the pcv valve. Inspect the drive belt and replace if necessary. Water pump is a don't fix it it ain't broken kind of thing, but if it looks like it's leaking at all, change it.

As for the dash/door panels and airbag, I'd see if the dealer can provide those records as my Lexus owners page shows that my airbag and dash were replaced in the service records. Probably someone got lazy and just never input them into the system for that car.
What happens when the PCV valve goes bad?
Old 05-17-17, 05:44 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

There are 2 costs involved in owning a car:
The price you pay upfront and the cost to maintain the car.

A high mileage high performance Lexus with a high tech v6 is not the car to buy on a budget.
It's that simple. The first time the car needs a fairy minor repair and it's $1200, you'll see what I'm talking about.

If you want some pep on a budget, a 99-04 Solara SLE has a solid v6, nice JBL stereo, leather interior, etc.
It's a change the oil and go type of car.

The 99-05 GS4 Lexus is a great car too, (v8 power, vroom!). Not so many gadgets as the newer Lexus.
That car w/ the same 155k miles is a MUCH more affordable car to operate and many repairs can be completed in your garage.
Same thing for the previous model IS, the IS300. Bullet proof cars.
Old 05-17-17, 06:15 PM
revaldo29
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by liazon
There are 2 costs involved in owning a car:
The price you pay upfront and the cost to maintain the car.

A high mileage high performance Lexus with a high tech v6 is not the car to buy on a budget.
It's that simple. The first time the car needs a fairy minor repair and it's $1200, you'll see what I'm talking about.

If you want some pep on a budget, a 99-04 Solara SLE has a solid v6, nice JBL stereo, leather interior, etc.
It's a change the oil and go type of car.

The 99-05 GS4 Lexus is a great car too, (v8 power, vroom!). Not so many gadgets as the newer Lexus.
That car w/ the same 155k miles is a MUCH more affordable car to operate and many repairs can be completed in your garage.
Same thing for the previous model IS, the IS300. Bullet proof cars.

Interesting, I was under the impression the IS350 has excellent reliability and reasonable repair costs. I do have the resources to get an 07-08 is350 with half the mileage for probably double the price, but I figured with driving only 3-4K miles a year for 3 years, buying a high mileage well maintained car would be more cost effective. Maybe not so.
Old 05-17-17, 11:15 PM
ernestfyu
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I traded in my is250 that had 100k miles for an is350 same year that had 130k miles last year due to carbon build up issue. (Unfortunately i was out of 9 years of CSP.)
I would say it's all about how the vehicle has been maintained. The previous owner of is350 always kept up with the maintenance mostly at the dealership.
So far no issues yet

Last edited by ernestfyu; 05-18-17 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-18-17, 03:28 PM
2grfan
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by revaldo29
Interesting, I was under the impression the IS350 has excellent reliability and reasonable repair costs. I do have the resources to get an 07-08 is350 with half the mileage for probably double the price, but I figured with driving only 3-4K miles a year for 3 years, buying a high mileage well maintained car would be more cost effective. Maybe not so.
The is350 is more reliable than nearly any German car, but it does have a few weaknesses. Water pump, alternator, rear calipers, etc, can all get expensive at a Lexus dealer. But there is no reason you have to go to a dealer to get these cars fixed. Spend some more time going through repair threads on here and use your best judgement. Even more beneficial if you can work on the car yourself.
Old 05-19-17, 08:08 AM
Zmon
Racer

Originally Posted by Brian7
What happens when the PCV valve goes bad?
Here's a good article on it: https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...tion-pcv-valve
tl;dr: more oil consumption, rough idle

To expand on 2grfan's mention of the calipers, I forgot about those. Lexus designed them in a way where the slide pins on the rear calipers like to seize up, usually requiring them to be replaced/rebuilt. The front ones as well occasionally have issues, although the rears are the most common to be seized. You'll usually see this when changing the pads.
Old 05-19-17, 04:20 PM
Brian7
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmon
Here's a good article on it: https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...tion-pcv-valve
tl;dr: more oil consumption, rough idle

To expand on 2grfan's mention of the calipers, I forgot about those. Lexus designed them in a way where the slide pins on the rear calipers like to seize up, usually requiring them to be replaced/rebuilt. The front ones as well occasionally have issues, although the rears are the most common to be seized. You'll usually see this when changing the pads.
Interesting! Makes sense though. There is a pretty big thread on IS350 oil consumption, surprised no one has looked at the PCV yet.
Old 05-20-17, 09:45 PM
andper10
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are willing to DIY the fixes, upkeep is pretty affordable but honestly the IS350 is less reliable than I hoped overall. There are some great DIY guides here on the forum for common issues. Thankfully my 07 IS350's engine and transmission are still going strong at over 160k miles including around 20 track days on the car. IS350s around the age/mileage you are looking at may soon experience failed touch screen ($30 part from ebay and the time/effort to remove and disassemble the center console or $1600 for a replacement part from the dealer since they won't fix individual components), failed alternator, failed rear brake caliper slide pin requiring replacement rear brake calipers, and flickering/burnt out sections of the speedomer/tachometer needle backlight LEDs. If you will drive it hard, I would also recommend getting the transmission fluid exchanged (~$300 if you can find a dealership with the adapter) for peace of mind since some people have had solenoid issues around that mileage on the original fluid and replacing the transmission is not cheap or fast even if you DIY with a used one.