IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Window Malfunctioning

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-17, 06:04 AM
Weidnera
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Malfunctioning

Hi! I have been having issues with my window malfunctioning on my 2012 Lexus IS250. I have tried searching for the issue but the only thing I came up with was issues after the battery was replaced. That definitely is not my issue. So, about a week ago is when the issue started occurring. My window will go up and down just fine but only with stipulations. So my automatic window will go down, but when I attempt to have the window go back up it goes all the way up but then when it reaches the top, it goes back down till 1/4 of the window is still up. I eventually can get the window up but by inching the window up on my own. This is with my passenger window, and I have this issue when attempting to get the window up from the passenger and driver window controls. If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions I would appreciate it! I would prefer to avoid going to an autobody shop/dealership if possible!

Thank you!
Old 05-23-17, 10:13 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 853 Likes on 645 Posts

Lexus windows and sunroofs have anti-jam features to prevent closing on a object. Your symptoms
sound as if something is interfering with the window near the end of its travel. Do you have Vent-Visors
inserted in the top track? These usually cause the window to reverse. Give the vertical tracks both
front and rear a good brushing to eliminate any debris that would cause the same response.

The anti-jam only works when the switch has been moved and then released. If for example you had
opened a window to feed an animal at a wildlife park and needed to close it completely (and fast!) you
would then pull up and hold the switch. Try doing that with yours, pull up and hold until the window
closed completely. If that works then it's the anti-jam, if that does not compete the close then you
likely have a window regulator or other mechanism problem.
Old 05-23-17, 10:35 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Try this; disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Then reset the Windows like you read on the other posts (put the window all the way down and then all the way up and hold it there for a few seconds; you need to go to individual Windows).
Old 05-25-17, 01:53 AM
Weidnera
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcomer
Lexus windows and sunroofs have anti-jam features to prevent closing on a object. Your symptoms
sound as if something is interfering with the window near the end of its travel. Do you have Vent-Visors
inserted in the top track? These usually cause the window to reverse. Give the vertical tracks both
front and rear a good brushing to eliminate any debris that would cause the same response.

The anti-jam only works when the switch has been moved and then released. If for example you had
opened a window to feed an animal at a wildlife park and needed to close it completely (and fast!) you
would then pull up and hold the switch. Try doing that with yours, pull up and hold until the window
closed completely. If that works then it's the anti-jam, if that does not compete the close then you
likely have a window regulator or other mechanism problem.
Ah looks like I have a window regulator problem/mechanism problem. Thank you for your input!
Old 05-25-17, 01:54 AM
Weidnera
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nosurprise
Try this; disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Then reset the Windows like you read on the other posts (put the window all the way down and then all the way up and hold it there for a few seconds; you need to go to individual Windows).
Thank you! I will try this today!