IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New Garax HID bulb flickers and turns off

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-17, 05:51 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New Garax HID bulb flickers and turns off

my passenger side bulb went out and my friend installed that single bulb in the meantime before i take it to the shop to install the other bulb, fogs, and paint my lip. he screwed the bulb in the ballast, and then used the two clamps to hold the bulb into place. seemed pretty standard. When i turn on my lights, the passenger side flickers once for a sec and turns off. Could something from the install have caused a short or something? or defective bulbs? I bought the bulbs from ebay and they seem legit from japan. japanese writing all over the box
Old 05-28-17, 05:53 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Switch it to the other headlamp
Old 05-28-17, 08:35 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsa
my passenger side bulb went out and my friend installed that single bulb in the meantime before i take it to the shop to install the other bulb, fogs, and paint my lip. he screwed the bulb in the ballast, and then used the two clamps to hold the bulb into place. seemed pretty standard. When i turn on my lights, the passenger side flickers once for a sec and turns off. Could something from the install have caused a short or something? or defective bulbs? I bought the bulbs from ebay and they seem legit from japan. japanese writing all over the box
1) did the light flicker before?
2) Swap to the other side and see if the bulb flickers
3) could be a cheap knock off bulb, you never know with eBay with some things like bulbs. I've read there are a lot of counterfeit HID bulbs on eBay.
4) doubt the install shorted anything, unless you got something wet.
Old 05-28-17, 11:52 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

no i never had an issue like this. the light turns on for a second and shuts off.
cant really put the bulb on the other (driver) side, have to wait for the shop to take off the bumper for that. how can that be the issue tho, are the bulbs not side dependent? obviously worth a try though. ill try the other uninstalled bulb on the passenger side and see if that one wants to stay on.

thanks guys
Old 05-29-17, 01:27 AM
knyg
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Either swap it 180 like a USB port. Or switch it to the other headlamp and also 180 if it's not working.

If it still flickers and dies, it's probably your ballast that's dying.
Old 05-29-17, 01:42 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

no i never had an issue like this. the light turns on for a second and shuts off.
cant really put the bulb on the other (driver) side, have to wait for the shop to take off the bumper for that. how can that be the issue tho, are the bulbs not side dependent? obviously worth a try though. ill try the other uninstalled bulb on the passenger side and see if that one wants to stay on.

thanks guys
The point of switching sides is youll know if its your ballasts or bulb quickly

You don't need to remove bumper to access bulbs

Last edited by MikeyK02; 05-29-17 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-29-17, 12:23 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyK02
The point of switching sides is youll know if its your ballasts or bulb quickly

You don't need to remove bumper to access bulbs
Absolutely true. The driver side is actually the easier one to gain access to; just need to remove the washer fluid fill hose and lid.

Japanese writing on the box doesn't mean anything, the counterfeiters are quite capable of copying the graphics from the packaging of the legitimate product; that's why I buy HID bulbs from an authorized reseller.
Old 05-29-17, 12:41 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

damn okay i'll look into returning these then. where can I get Garax bulbs from an authorized reseller? all i saw online was eBay
Old 05-29-17, 12:44 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

damn okay i'll look into returning these then. where can I get Garax bulbs from an authorized reseller? all i saw online was eBay
I bought Osram CBI bulbs from Xenon Depot (an authorized dealer for them), not Garax, so I'll lets others chime in on where to get legit Garax product.
Old 05-29-17, 02:18 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

how are you liking the osrams? how much was it? i wanted the 6000k garax cause i really liked the color of it in a pic i saw. im gonna see if i can find a vendor selling legit garax.
Old 05-30-17, 05:26 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

I'm pleased with them. I was looking for brightness and longevity equal to or better than OEM, without the 4300k slight yellow tinge. That exactly what I got. I found 5000k to be a good tradeoff between color and brightness.