IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Does a flush stops An engine from burning oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-17, 10:57 AM
Klymbort
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a flush stops An engine from burning oil?

So, I've had my 2007 IS 300 for almost two years now and since I bought, it was burning oil. And I went to a lot of mechanics telling me the same answer, that the piston rings or valve seals were worn out. And I didn't bother even goin to the dealership because they won't do anything for free and if they saw my car, they would drain me. About one month ago, I couldn't read my oil level. The first thing I did was to go and buy a new oil dipstick ( It was the cheapest solution) but it wasn't the problem. Then the second thing I did was a flush. It solved the problem and another issue for me ( The burning oil issue). I used to drive for only 700 km and it always burned half a liter and I added oil everytime it burns oil (that's what the mechanics told me to do). But now, it still reads at full. Ive driven it now for 3000 km and it didn't burn anything. Before I did the flush, if I didn't add oil every like 3000 km it would show me the "low oil consumption".
Old 05-30-17, 12:19 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

what is this "flush" you speak of?
Old 05-30-17, 12:42 PM
Klymbort
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XSV
what is this "flush" you speak of?
Engine flush with an engine flush machine. Idk maybe its called engine decontamination treatment.
Old 05-30-17, 03:00 PM
2grfan
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Check out this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post9871794
The following users liked this post:
Klymbort (05-31-17)
Old 05-30-17, 03:08 PM
MJG87
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just be careful with "Engine Flush" treatments, if your car has high mileage and has been burning a lot of oil it can have solid oil deposits and buildup inside. When you use a flush treatment it can cause these deposits to flake off and they can block pickups and valleys causing oil flow problems which lead to engine damage or failure. It can also cause leaks by removing deposits from seals where they are actually preventing a leak.

I have used them in the past and not had a problem, I know people who have used them and damaged their engines. It is obviously up to the individual whether they run the risk or not, just make sure you do your research first, a lot of the flush products won't tell you they can be harmful.
Old 05-30-17, 04:28 PM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG87
Just be careful with "Engine Flush" treatments, if your car has high mileage and has been burning a lot of oil it can have solid oil deposits and buildup inside. When you use a flush treatment it can cause these deposits to flake off and they can block pickups and valleys causing oil flow problems which lead to engine damage or failure. It can also cause leaks by removing deposits from seals where they are actually preventing a leak.

I have used them in the past and not had a problem, I know people who have used them and damaged their engines. It is obviously up to the individual whether they run the risk or not, just make sure you do your research first, a lot of the flush products won't tell you they can be harmful.
I am guessing he is talking about a flush from a oil change place and I would highly recommend it. they drain the oil then fill it again run it to temperature then drain it again then fill and check for any gunk draining as they start the fill (by leaving the drain open, if all is clean they top it off.
Klymbort (05-31-17)
Old 05-30-17, 04:38 PM
MJG87
Driver

Originally Posted by B00M3R
I am guessing he is talking about a flush from a oil change place and I would highly recommend it. they drain the oil then fill it again run it to temperature then drain it again then fill and check for any gunk draining as they start the fill (by leaving the drain open, if all is clean they top it off.
That is just a regular oil change procedure with an extra fill and drain, but may be what he meant. If an engine hasn't had its oil changed in a while, or I buy a used car that has had a hard life, I will usually drain the oil, fill the engine again with a cheaper non synthetic oil, warm it up and drain it again, pour whats left in the bottle through the engine with the sump plug out to see if it comes out clean (it almost always does) then fill it with my preferred premium oil.

If he has done a regular oil change, the real question is if he changed to/from a semi synthetic/fully synthetic/mineral oil, and if he changed oil viscosity. A higher mileage engine that burns oil and leaks will usually benefit from a thicker oil (operating environment considered) as it is less likely to work its way past the spaces a thinner oil will, and it's harder to burn.
Old 05-30-17, 04:48 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

A lot of folks on the isfreaks FB page are changing their PCV valves and seems to help with burning oil.
Klymbort (05-31-17)
Old 05-30-17, 04:54 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
A lot of folks on the isfreaks FB page are changing their PCV valves and seems to help with burning oil.
plan on doing mine soon. already have a new pcv valve and new hose. I'm burning about 1/2 quart every 3k miles.
Old 05-31-17, 03:06 AM
Klymbort
Driver School Candidate

That is just a regular oil change procedure with an extra fill and drain, but may be what he meant. If an engine hasn't had its oil changed in a while, or I buy a used car that has had a hard life, I will usually drain the oil, fill the engine again with a cheaper non synthetic oil, warm it up and drain it again, pour whats left in the bottle through the engine with the sump plug out to see if it comes out clean (it almost always does) then fill it with my preferred premium oil.

If he has done a regular oil change, the real question is if he changed to/from a semi synthetic/fully synthetic/mineral oil, and if he changed oil viscosity. A higher mileage engine that burns oil and leaks will usually benefit from a thicker oil (operating environment considered) as it is less likely to work its way past the spaces a thinner oil will, and it's harder to burn.
I always been changing oil regularly every 5k km but last month I've gone past the 5k by only 500km so maybe that's why it was giving me false oil level. And I think that the mechanics did what Boom3r said. But do you really think that the engine might start giving me problems because you're making a lot of sense with the whole particulars getting stuck somewhere and my car has just crossed 200k km so you could say it is high mileage car.

Last edited by Klymbort; 05-31-17 at 03:18 AM.
Old 05-31-17, 03:10 AM
MJG87
Driver

If it's running fine and the oil light isnt on, I wouldn't worry about it. Don't stress yourself out. If yo5y have been driving a while with no problems I would guess all is well.
Klymbort (05-31-17)
Old 05-31-17, 03:25 AM
Klymbort
Driver School Candidate

If it's running fine and the oil light isnt on, I wouldn't worry about it. Don't stress yourself out. If yo5y have been driving a while with no problems I would guess all is well.
Yeah its been running fine all the 3000km. And thanks for the advice.
Old 05-31-17, 06:57 AM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Shouldn't be happeing

1) Check/change PCV
2) Check/change plugs
3) Switch to high mileage syn oil. Valvoline Maxlife is the gold standard on BITOG
4) I'd pay to get an UOA and make sure there's no coolant in your oil or anything else.
Klymbort (05-31-17)
Old 05-31-17, 11:26 AM
Klymbort
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DixieLex
1) Check/change PCV
2) Check/change plugs
3) Switch to high mileage syn oil. Valvoline Maxlife is the gold standard on BITOG
4) I'd pay to get an UOA and make sure there's no coolant in your oil or anything else.
I'll definitely change the PCV valve now that everyone is recommending it. And I've changed the plugs 2 months ago so they're still new.

Quick Reply: Does a flush stops An engine from burning oil?