IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need to replace wiper blades

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-17, 03:18 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just bought a pair of oem's at the dealership for like 15 bucks each; they SUCK, and I've already returned the driver's side within a week. The guy at the counter said they have been having problems with them. I tried an aftermarket design (I think the rain x latitudes if I can remember. I'll go out and check) and they were awesome the first 2 days. After that they too have been leaving huge swaths of water on the windshield but now, the driver's side bottom of the blade chatters when in operation over speeds of like 40 mph, leaving water on the windshield on the bottom 3 inches as well. Was looking for some PIAA or Silblade silicone's but can't find them for our cars. Will try the Bosch's shortly.

Last edited by Buddiiee; 06-02-17 at 03:39 AM.
Old 06-01-17, 05:25 AM
akoster
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
I just bought a pair of oem's at the dealership for like 15 bucks each; they SUCK, and I've already returned the driver's side within a week. The guy at the counter said they have been having problems with them. I tried an aftermarket design (I think the rain x latitudes if I can remember. I'll go out and check) and they were awesome the first 2 days. After that they too have been leaving huge swaths of water on the windshield but now, the driver's side bottom of the blade chatters when in operation over speeds of like 40 mph, leaving water on the windshield on the bottom like 3 inches as well. Was looking for some PIAA or Silblade silicone's but can't find them for our cars. Will try the Bosch's shortly.
Yeah Bosch seems to be the way to go, Thanks for letting me know about the OEM ones. That's quite concerning they can be that bad.
Old 06-01-17, 06:56 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by akoster
Yeah Bosch seems to be the way to go, Thanks for letting me know about the OEM ones. That's quite concerning they can be that bad.

I don't think Buddiiee's experience with the OEM wipers is typical; perhaps his dealership just received a defective batch of refills.

If you do decide to go with Bosch or other third party replacement, I'd suggest that you keep the original Lexus blade frames and stiffeners in case you ever want to go back to them.
Old 06-01-17, 07:56 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I've used the OEM inserts since I've had the car and haven't had a single issue. They are cheaper to replace and work better than the ones I've tried on other vehicles. They should be more like $15 a set, not per blade.

Last edited by Tungstn-IS; 06-01-17 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-01-17, 08:08 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 609 Likes on 405 Posts

For what it's worth, dealerships often carry cheap aftermarket wipers in "Lexus" or "Toyota" packaging that are offered for customers not willing to spend to get the factory wiper blades. Often times they sell enough of these that they end up not even stocking the original wiper blades or don't offer them if you go in and ask for "wiper blades for my...."

Jeff
Old 06-01-17, 08:43 AM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bosch ICON

All day
All night
Old 06-01-17, 10:02 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
For what it's worth, dealerships often carry cheap aftermarket wipers in "Lexus" or "Toyota" packaging that are offered for customers not willing to spend to get the factory wiper blades. Often times they sell enough of these that they end up not even stocking the original wiper blades or don't offer them if you go in and ask for "wiper blades for my...."

Jeff
Really? How does one determine the difference? I sure hope that's true, because that would mean that there's still a chance for me to get good wipers lol. What I fear is that I did get the good ones because the plastic's stamped with our "L" emblem...
Old 06-01-17, 10:27 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
Really? How does one determine the difference? I sure hope that's true, because that would mean that there's still a chance for me to get good wipers lol. What I fear is that I did get the good ones because the plastic's stamped with our "L" emblem...
Probably not the good ones then. The good ones will come in a box or a plastic bag and the part number will be 85212- and 85222- for factory blades.

Specifically the part numbers for the 2IS are 85212-53081 and 85222-53071 respectively.

Jeff
Old 06-01-17, 10:37 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by XSV
OEM inserts is the way to go. I have some Goodyear wiper blades right now and not really satisfied with the product. The driver side wiper doesn't always lie flush against the contour of windshield and as a result the water isn't completely wiped away and there is a small patch of water left.
Originally Posted by GSteg
OEM refill is the most economical route because they last long and aren't too expensive. I get all my Lexus wipers at Toyota as long as I can cross-reference it. They're generally under $15 a pair, basically on par with the crappy blades at the auto part store.
I just found out this morning that this was even possible. $20 for the rubber inserts at the dealer. I replaced the OEM blades with RainX blades from the local auto parts store and they are horrible. I tossed the OEM blade and holder because I didn't know that anyone even sold only the rubber insert anymore.. had to purchase new holders ($120 for both) and the parts guy told me next time just get the rubber inserts. Vs. crap after market.
Old 06-01-17, 11:22 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

[QUOTE=Jeff Lange;9884259]Probably not the good ones then. The good ones will come in a box or a plastic bag and the part number will be 85212

If I remember these are the ones I bought in the lobby.
http://media-dmg.assets-cdk.com/webs...x0-995x748.jpg
They're standard old school wipers (with the frames, like from the 1970's) but have a deceptive sleeve over them to make them appear as if they're the more modern "beam" type blades.

Last edited by Buddiiee; 06-01-17 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-01-17, 11:28 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Those are definitely the cheap aftermarket, non-factory wipers I was talking about and NOT the blades we are referring to here at all.

Jeff
Old 06-01-17, 08:58 PM
cotswold
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacement wiper blades

I have been running the Bosch Icon's for about five years now and couldn't be happier. They are cheaper that OEM and do a great job.
Old 06-01-17, 09:38 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Bosch
best I've ever owned
Old 06-01-17, 10:26 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Probably not the good ones then. The good ones will come in a box or a plastic bag and the part number will be 85212- and 85222- for factory blades.

Specifically the part numbers for the 2IS are 85212-53081 and 85222-53071 respectively.

Jeff
Jeff's part numbers are for the entire wiper. As long as the paint isn't faded or peeling, I use just the rubber refill and don't have any problems with them. The part numbers are:
Driver's side 85214-0T040
Passenger side 85214-06130
Old 06-01-17, 11:59 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't replace the whole wiper blade either. Just replace the rubber piece that gets worn out.

Quick Reply: Need to replace wiper blades