IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is there a performance transmission flash for the IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-17, 10:51 PM
cwtt
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Is there a performance transmission flash for the IS350?

I know there are engine ecu flashes for the car, but is there any type of ecu flash for the transmission? I drove a new GS350 and the transmission is much better than my current IS350. I would love to have crisper, faster shifts during spirited driving.
Old 06-16-17, 05:27 AM
Brian7
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not that I know of. You can always push the ECT Power button, it drives a bit more aggressively with that on.
Old 06-16-17, 08:22 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Nope... it's been somewhat of a pipe dream as of late. I don't think I recall OV Tuning releasing a 2IS transmission tune yet. I've heard that they are working on it but that's about it.
Old 06-16-17, 02:20 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

Unfortunately no. Tuners are currently unable to access and modify the transmission portion of the 2IS ECU.
Old 08-07-17, 09:51 AM
ShotmaKer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the OV transmission "tune" ? I know it's not really a tune per se but the expectation was that we would be able to access the increased rev limiter in 'D' and get improved response time when using the paddle shifters. I know the tune's been out there for a little while now with their handheld tuner but I haven't seen any reviews about the transmission tune yet. Anybody care to comment?
Old 08-07-17, 03:07 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ShotmaKer
What about the OV transmission "tune" ? I know it's not really a tune per se but the expectation was that we would be able to access the increased rev limiter in 'D' and get improved response time when using the paddle shifters. I know the tune's been out there for a little while now with their handheld tuner but I haven't seen any reviews about the transmission tune yet. Anybody care to comment?
I emailed OVtune and posted on the OVtune thread. I want the tranny upgrade too. I love everything about my car except for the damn transmission!
The following users liked this post:
Polo2is350 (04-15-22)
Old 08-07-17, 03:20 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ShotmaKer
I think they might have just changed a few shift parameters, but I have my doubts on the actual impact it has just because if they were able to do it, we would never stop talking about it. I'm getting my car tuned relatively soon and hopefully I can comment on that. It is unacceptable how slow this car shifts.
Old 08-08-17, 08:25 AM
andper10
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
I think they might have just changed a few shift parameters, but I have my doubts on the actual impact it has just because if they were able to do it, we would never stop talking about it. I'm getting my car tuned relatively soon and hopefully I can comment on that. It is unacceptable how slow this car shifts.
I ran an OV tune with the FTS (featured transmission shift) option for a few months on my 07 IS350. Some shifts were too abrupt/jerky in everyday traffic at partial throttle for my liking but it is great for track/spirited driving - the actual time it takes to shift between two gears does feel quicker. The paddles still function as gear limiters though so if you are describing the delay between when you increase the gear limiter and when the car initiates the upshift that varies depending on your speed and throttle position when you increase the limiter whether you have the FTS tune or not.

For example if you are in S mode at full throttle and low rpm in a given gear at the moment you increase the gear limiter by 1, the car won't upshift until near the stock redline whether you have the FTS tune or not.
The following users liked this post:
Joelseff (08-08-17)
Old 08-08-17, 10:25 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,268 Posts

I was at a Yoda dealer yesterday and the tech was telling me the A760E has an update. I haven't called Lex to confirm. FWIW mine is a 2013.
Anyone have inside answer into lex service to confirm an OEM update is available?
Old 08-08-17, 01:11 PM
ShotmaKer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
I was at a Yoda dealer yesterday and the tech was telling me the A760E has an update. I haven't called Lex to confirm. FWIW mine is a 2013.
Anyone have inside answer into lex service to confirm an OEM update is available?
Interesting... Please keep us updated if you ever find out what the update does.
Old 08-08-17, 01:45 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by andper10
I ran an OV tune with the FTS (featured transmission shift) option for a few months on my 07 IS350. Some shifts were too abrupt/jerky in everyday traffic at partial throttle for my liking but it is great for track/spirited driving - the actual time it takes to shift between two gears does feel quicker. The paddles still function as gear limiters though so if you are describing the delay between when you increase the gear limiter and when the car initiates the upshift that varies depending on your speed and throttle position when you increase the limiter whether you have the FTS tune or not.

For example if you are in S mode at full throttle and low rpm in a given gear at the moment you increase the gear limiter by 1, the car won't upshift until near the stock redline whether you have the FTS tune or not.
That's what I wanted to know. Thanks...Sucks that the paddles we have work like gate shifting my sienna. I rented a hyundai elantra while on vacation last year that had much better response to manual shifting than my IS350.