IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is newb NEED HELP BAD!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-17 | 06:26 AM
Newbie666
Driver School Candidate

Default Is newb NEED HELP BAD!

Hi Guys and Gals.
I am about to purchase my 1st ever Lexus :-) and need your informed help making a decision. I am looking at either the Is220d or the Is250 petrol both on a 2007 plate with around the 120,000 - 140,000 mileage.
​​​​​​
Now i should make it clear that I'm coming up from a Vauxhall Astra so I'm not bothered about power stats ect both cars are going to feel like a rocket and a Bentley in comparison to me... But my question is this... ive looking all over the net and the insurances are virtually identical... But MPG!!!! I've been reading that the petrol gets better mpg than the diesel and then another one says vice versa am so confused. Which is the cheaper car to run

Now i know they say don't look at a prestige car and expect to run it cheap but I've fallen in love lol and like a beautiful woman nothing else will no longer do 😁 so which overall will be the cheaper car to run. Also does the 220d come in an auto??? I can't find one anywhere.

As I said newb here so sorry if this post has already been bought up ... All help greatly appreciated
Old 07-17-17 | 02:43 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Can't comment on the 220d, but the 250 shouldn't be too expensive to run aside from cleaning out the carbon buildup every 30k-ish miles. Other common problems on 2007 cars are that the nav screen (If your car comes with one) will unexpectedly die out and it is a really expensive thing to fix at the dealer. The other thing is if the roads in your area aren't paved well, the car will rattle due to a very poor dash design. Other than that, it is just regular maintenance. Make sure you follow the maintenance schedule and they should serve you well.

The IS250 typically averages between low to upper 20 miles per gallon depending on driving style and I'm almost certain that the diesel will get significantly better MPG if that is your focus. Best of luck!
Old 07-17-17 | 10:36 PM
Newbie666
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rezno
Can't comment on the 220d, but the 250 shouldn't be too expensive to run aside from cleaning out the carbon buildup every 30k-ish miles. Other common problems on 2007 cars are that the nav screen (If your car comes with one) will unexpectedly die out and it is a really expensive thing to fix at the dealer. The other thing is if the roads in your area aren't paved well, the car will rattle due to a very poor dash design. Other than that, it is just regular maintenance. Make sure you follow the maintenance schedule and they should serve you well.

The IS250 typically averages between low to upper 20 miles per gallon depending on driving style and I'm almost certain that the diesel will get significantly better MPG if that is your focus. Best of luck!
Hi Rezno. Thank you so much for the well informed reply.. I think you've made my mind up :-) 220d it is! The 250 sounds awesome and comes with the gearbox I want but low to mid 20's in the mpg is not really good for me... Looking for a few more mpg so I reckon the diesel is going to be my best option. Just gutted I can't find it in an auto!! Lol the sat Nav screen problem is that only on the 2007 model?
Old 07-18-17 | 04:10 AM
Texas149
Driver

Hi Newbie666,
please don't rush into getting the Diesel just on one recommendation!
i see you are in London and unless the diesel 220 is taken on a good sustained run at least every tank full then you might/will get into a world of pain.
the 220d only had a manual box ( bad move by Lexus!) and 6th gear is pointless in uk as it won't come into play until about 80 mph! So unless you like collecting points ( and I don't mean Clubcard points) 6th is redundant.
please don't just take my word for it but check out the LOC (Lexus Owners Club) a British based site with uk users of both cars and get feedback from both sides,
check this recent query same as yours. http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...e-l-questions/

cheers paul m.
Old 07-18-17 | 05:02 AM
Newbie666
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Texas149
Hi Newbie666,
please don't rush into getting the Diesel just on one recommendation!
i see you are in London and unless the diesel 220 is taken on a good sustained run at least every tank full then you might/will get into a world of pain.
the 220d only had a manual box ( bad move by Lexus!) and 6th gear is pointless in uk as it won't come into play until about 80 mph! So unless you like collecting points ( and I don't mean Clubcard points) 6th is redundant.
please don't just take my word for it but check out the LOC (Lexus Owners Club) a British based site with uk users of both cars and get feedback from both sides,
check this recent query same as yours. http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...e-l-questions/

cheers paul m.
Thank you for the advice Paul. It's just so confusing you know? and as I've never owned a car like this before it's easy to just take the advice given to you.. to be honest with you my heart actually said the IS 250 as I'm really after an auto...but I'm just so worried I'm going to buy it and spend the rest of my life and wage filling the bloody thing up lol. Il take a look at the link you sent and have a think. Thanks a lot mate appreciate the help.
Old 07-18-17 | 05:37 AM
Texas149
Driver

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...ooking-to-buy/
'Fraid to say here is another negative thread for the diesel version, I forgot about the head Gaskets going on these cars within the warrenty period and some having it done twice and even engines replaced! and the 5th injector can cause excessive black smoke to appear from exhaust, not very Lesus like!
please do lots of homework before getting a diesel and make sure you will be able to use it so it stays happy!!! cause you are right a unhappy Lexus is gonna hurt your wallet big time, whereas the Petrol 250 is one if not the most reliable cars out there.

more reading material here.
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/lexus/is-2005/
check out the "Model History" tab for good spec info.
Paul M.
Old 07-18-17 | 05:53 AM
Newbie666
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Texas149
http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...ooking-to-buy/
'Fraid to say here is another negative thread for the diesel version, I forgot about the head Gaskets going on these cars within the warrenty period and some having it done twice and even engines replaced! and the 5th injector can cause excessive black smoke to appear from exhaust, not very Lesus like!
please do lots of homework before getting a diesel and make sure you will be able to use it so it stays happy!!! cause you are right a unhappy Lexus is gonna hurt your wallet big time, whereas the Petrol 250 is one if not the most reliable cars out there.

more reading material here.
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/lexus/is-2005/
check out the "Model History" tab for good spec info.
Paul M.
Spoiler

Can't thank you enough Paul.m you've potentially saved me from a very negative 1st Lexus experience. To be honest mate my heart's always said buy the petrol... I just don't wanna be spending a fortune filling it up all the time. I am not a heavy footed driver anyway and this car is more for me to relax and ride in luxury in. so I'm gonna do my research on the 250 petrol.