IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Transmission Solenoid A and D (P0751 and P2714)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-17, 10:22 AM
winstoon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Solenoid A and D (P0751 and P2714)

2007 IS250 RWD.

Recently my car had issues shifting from 4th to any higher gear. Brought it in to a dealership and got two codes: P0751 and P2714 for the solenoids.

The transmission guy (not dealer. They don't fix trannys) the transmission oil is really dark and there's fine metal shavings in there, and the oil has a burnt smell. He recommended that I rebuild the thing because he said there must be internal damage in the tranny that causes that. And the metal shavings are clogging up the solenoids.

My thoughts are this:
- It makes sense that the oil is of a really dark color. It's never been changed since "It's a sealed system"
- Metal shavings in the trans is common. There's a magnet in there for a reason.
- I can't shift from 4 to higher gears so it makes sense that the solenoid could be broken. (when pressed, he said he tested the ohm resistance on the solenoid and it's working. But why not tell me that the first time, rather than blame it on the metal shavings).
- Asked if i could change the fluid (not flush), I was told that fluids won't do anything because the's very certain the 5th and 6th gears are broken. Needs to be rebuilt.

Anyone has encountered this? Any advice? Thanks.
Old 08-01-17, 02:34 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

My guess is the 'lifetime' fluid didn't really last a lifetime and started to damage various parts as mileage increased. As for how to fix it, you can get a used transmission off Ebay for relatively cheap and then just pay to have it installed.
The following users liked this post:
winstoon (08-01-17)
Old 08-01-17, 02:51 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I wouldn't rebuild it because it won't last very long. Rebuilt transmissions are typically garbage. What I would do is find a used one with low mileage at a wrecking yard. Try www.car-parts.com. They can deliver it to a garage that can swap it out.

There are a lot of posts on this board about folks who have purchased transmissions from a wrecker for around $800. I don't see why you couldn't find one in and around there.

When they say lifetime fluid they mean the lifetime of the warranty.
winstoon (08-01-17)
Old 08-01-17, 05:01 PM
trippy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my 2006 is250 is going through a 3rd tranny drain and refill feels brand new when new fluid comes in n kicks it =) but my coworker paid $6,000 for a new tranmission...i know right..
Old 08-01-17, 06:16 PM
winstoon
Driver School Candidate

The manual clearly states that the transmission fluid should not be changed. But it seems like i should have. What garbage. I've even been told by Lexus that I shouldn't do it. I'll send it to another lexus dealership to see if they could do something about it. Otherwise, I'll have to take you guys' advice and get one off ebay or something...
Old 08-01-17, 07:59 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

The dealership won't be able to do much for you. If you insist on a flush (at this point I would flush it) and they have the equipment then I would try it. Otherwise look for a garage that works on Lexus vehicles and speak to them about doing a transmission swap. I would think it should cost you about no more than 2.5k for both the install and Transmission from a wrecker.

Like I said look up a replacement on car-parts.com and give a yard a call. I see transmissions for your car with less than 50k in Rancho Cordova for $1500. You can probably negotiate a better price and have it shipped or delivered to a garage for the swap.

Otherwise your option is pay the 6-8 k and have a dealership install a new one.

Do not go with a rebuilt one. You will have to replace it with in a year or two again.
winstoon (08-01-17)
Old 08-01-17, 10:40 PM
winstoon
Driver School Candidate

Thanks @Mrfix. I found a dealership that would look at it and try to repair it. But if they recommend swapping the tranny, then i'll go with what you recommended.
Old 08-02-17, 01:18 AM
shlomie11
Driver School Candidate

Hi
so, same as here, the dealer doesnt know anything about this transmission.

see my post:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...50-08-a-2.html

i had some trouble codes, stuck on 3rd gear, rpm shaking on cruise, harsh shifting.
i took it to the dealer, they said they are not dealing with these, couldnt find the problem and suggest to send it to rebuild-shop. i refused.
i took the car back home, replaced:
1. ATF+filter twice
2., replaced the transmission wiring from the TCM going to all the solenoids.
3. replaced the SLU+SLT solenoids
4. checked the ATF level

enentually. the car drives like new, it cost me about 300$ for all the parts.
Old 08-02-17, 02:00 AM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think there is anything wrong with a rebuilt tranny. Got my 06 is250's tranny rebuilt at 100k miles. Now at 170k miles, 3.5 years later just did a fluid flush and going strong

most will offer at least a 1year warranty
Old 08-02-17, 02:02 AM
shlomie11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aznKewlguy
I don't think there is anything wrong with a rebuilt tranny. Got my 06 is250's tranny rebuilt at 100k miles. Now at 170k miles, 3 years later just did a fluid flush and going strong
what was your transmission problem before the rebuilt?
do you know what they replaced in the tranny? (solenoids, clutch set, wire, filter)?
Old 08-03-17, 04:34 PM
winstoon
Driver School Candidate

Update:

Went to another shop and he told me the same thing: changing the solenoids will just be a waste. I'd honestly love to try it out because it just makes sense that the reason why it's not shifting to 5th is is because the "shifter" which is the solenoid D is broken. But I've conceded, also partly due to the fact that solenoids are 300 bucks a pop for part alone. That would mean I'd be spending about 1K total for parts and labor to put the solenoid on. Oh and I got a P0894 (Transmission Component Slipping) code now too.

Found a garage that would swap a transmission with 50K miles for about 2500. I'll have to do that. Let me know if you guys have anymore good advice...

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences and thoughts.
Old 08-03-17, 07:24 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Having worked in a trans shop for 8 years, there is no lifetime fluid. Mine will be dumped at 60k or less.

A good trans doesn't make metal or burn the fluid. And fluid can be toast for many reasons. Basically any uncontrolled heat rise and fluid burns.

You give any thought to DIY? We did side jobs all the time so perhaps ask about?
What year and how many miles before it misbehaved?
Old 08-03-17, 10:53 PM
winstoon
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your response, 2013FSport. It's a 2007 is250 and it has 167k miles on it currently. It probably started at about 158k. Never changed the trans fluid so that probably killed it.

In any case, the only DIY someone like me is capable of at most is changing the solenoid. Given that the cost of each solenoid is 300 and I found a place that would do it for 150 labor, I'd let him do it if I were planning to do that. Me + transmission could = a big metal brick.

Given all that info, would you say changing the solenoids and doing a trans fluid change (not flush) fix the problem? I read that there's clutch material in the fluid and doing a flush would cause the trans to slip badly.

If anyone could perform a transmission swap as a side job, I'm willing to let them do it. Although I would expect one to have a shop to work on something as massive as this. I'm in Orange County, CA.
Old 08-04-17, 12:57 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

PS half my newb posts go into moderation. No links, no crazy words so be patient as I added more content but its not here.
In short, your current trans is done. I saw several listings on fleabay but they don't list vehicle mileage all the time.