IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Morimoto M-LED (Bi-LED)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-18, 08:08 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is the stock projector inside the aftermarket headlight, I am removing to upgrade it to a better projector... Either HID rear Bulb, or a New LED internal lit Projector...
Originally Posted by StevieJ06
So what exactly is the benefit over H.I.D's? I have 8k in my headlights and fog-lights and L.E.D.'s dont seem to me to look any better.

Ok, you talking "bulbs" if I am not mistaking and using them in the OEM or Aftermarket made replacement headlamp assy. Well these headlights have a side bulb Projectors, and the bulbs are Halogen, HID, LED can be used in the Side Bulb Mounted projectors in the unmodified headlights, OEM or Aftermarket.

In my case, I like to go to a rear bulb mounted projector to make the Headlight Beam sharper, have a good cut off, and wider... This requires modifying the headlight and remove the side mounted bulb projector and installing a rear mounted bulb projector. Now the common types of projectors replacements are either HID "Most Common" from other cars manufactures, or complete aftermarket units. These unit have a LED version as the internal light source and the Light Source is built into the projector as a unit. The Hid rear bulb projectors, you can change the bulb Kelvin rating bulbs and get OMG crazy expensive ones. But changing to a HID or LED projectors requires you heating and opening your light lens away from the housing, and Cutting an Access Hole in the back of the housing to have access to remove and replace the bulb in HID rear bulb versions. The LED version of the new projector, the LED is not changeable, but there is a model that is short enough to install as a retrofit upgrade and not have to cut a hole in the headlight housing.

Rear Lit Projectors is what I am talking about and there light sources, not changeable side mounted Bulbs from unmodified headlamps.

Hope this is clear as mud, maybe blue sky!

Tex
Old 02-25-18, 08:13 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Forgot to mention, These New Led projectors... they are not as good as a complete quality HID system. But the rub is making a quality HID system fit into the headlights... thats the hard part. The leading LED projectors, to appears they can be installed without having to cut a large access hole in the back of the housings.

Tex