IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Morimoto M-LED (Bi-LED)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-17, 02:27 PM
Oneminde
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Morimoto M-LED (Bi-LED)

I created a thread called KOITO Bi-LED and was really excited about this module, because if there is one thing that I want, then that is LED headlights in my car. But a few days ago, Lightwerkz Global Inc announced that they got their hands on a new Morimoto product called M-LED which has a retail price of $400. Curious as I am, I wanted to find out if the M-LED module is better than the KOITO one and in order to do that, I need some numbers. Namely lux or lumens output of the units, and I did manage to find that.

KOITO state in their own document that the DM008 Bi-LED will achieve 2250 lumens. They don't state if this is 1 meter (3.2 ft) or at 10 meters (32ft) from the lens, but 2250 lumens is what we have to go by. This is maximum lumens output. This module can be found in Toyota Avensis MY15+ and Lexus IS gen 3.
http://www.koito.co.jp/english/globa...e9b7b8a978.pdf

Now, in order to be able to use 2250 lumens against the other mesurments I will present further down, it must be converted to lux: "Converting to Lumens: One foot-candle is equal to 10.76 Lumens. This means that you need to take your foot-candles measurement and multiply it by 10.76. Using our measurement of 50 foot-candles, we get the following equation: 50 x 10.76. By working out this calculation, you will be able to get 538 lumens. A lumen is the same as Lux and is what many modern light meters will calculate their measurement in."
http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowl...urement.html#b

2250 lumens / 10.76 = 209 lux .... remember that. Also, the KOITO Bi-LED was released in late 2014, that is almost 3 years ago and things have changed. Most HID (Xenon) system will achieve 3500-4500 lumens (325-418 lux) and some even better, so compared to 2250 lumens or 209 lux, no wonder people are sticking to HID systems.

I am going to compare this to two other products, both fairly new. Namely the CNlight i.Lens Bi-LED and Morimoto B-LED. Lightwerkz us EXTECH LT300 lux meter to do their measurements. Measurements for the i.Lens and B-LED is done at 32 ft or 10 meters at the spot center, aka brightest area.

i.Lens: 421 lux = 4529 lumens
B-Led: 541 lux = 5821 lumens - 28.52% better than the i.Lens

This mean that i.Lens is 101 % increase in total output or 2 times the amount of light compared to KOITO.
This mean that B-Led is 158% increase in total output or 2.56 times more light compared to KOITO.

If we take the Russian test and compare (link provide at the end of this entry), the situation is way worse for the KOITO since the Russian article claim only 90 lux or 968 lumens at 32 ft / 10 meters. Comparing that to Morimoto B-Led, we get 501 % or 6 times better light with Morimoto B-LED.

Here is a YouTube video of i.Lens.

Here is a YouTube video of the B-LED

Here we can see the i.Lens and B-LED together, there is a difference in light throw to the side between them, but B-LED is definitely brighter. i.Lens is top and B-LED is bottom

There are several comparison photos in this link: http://www.lightwerkz.net/photo/outp...-comparison-2/

i.Led: http://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/...rojectors.html

B-LED; http://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/...rojectors.html

Russian test of the KOITO Bi-LED
https://www.drive2.ru/o/b/465169835681120372

I guess my conclusion is that Morimoto is a clear winner over KOITO.

Last edited by Oneminde; 08-06-17 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-06-17, 03:50 PM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I too am interested in LED bulbs for my car. I appreciate the knowledge you have and also the interest because I want the best as well..

$400 as a price tag is steep though. I guess you get what you pay for...
Old 08-06-17, 09:52 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Adding LED bulbs to my projectors gave it the looks but performance was actually pretty bad. I wonder how much it would cost if it was possible to install these in a set of ebay/spec d headlights. Really interested in this right now
Old 08-07-17, 12:34 AM
Oneminde
Driver School Candidate

Its not just a bulb its the whole system
Old 08-07-17, 01:40 AM
Oneminde
Driver School Candidate

The problem with replacing the HID bulb with a LED bulb is that the it used to be a horrible solution. It is only with gen 3 styles that we are starting to see improvements and viable solutions. But spite the fact that LED bulbs have become better, too me, the module system by KOITO, i.Lense, Morimotot and so forth are many times better and going from HID to LED, I want the best option there is. Why wouldn't one ... yeah okay, you are a cheapskate, you look for the cheapest BUT best Chinese knockoff etc, fine. You can if you want to, no one is standing in your way. But we both know what will happen in the end. We've all been there ... ha ha

Old 08-07-17, 02:05 AM
Oneminde
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aspect
Adding LED bulbs to my projectors gave it the looks but performance was actually pretty bad. I wonder how much it would cost if it was possible to install these in a set of ebay/spec d headlights. Really interested in this right now
I am considering the same. Ofc, there needs to be mods made since B-LED has Bolt Pattern:D2S 4.0 Standard while 2IS is 4DS or H7 in case of halogen. So brackets need to be made - not a problem, and adapting the wire harness for the Bi illumination function on the low beam. I also don't want to "destroy" the original HID system in the car, just in case I should need it. Better be on the safe side so to speak. I also think the accessibility on the Spec D is better compared to the original.
Old 08-07-17, 09:12 AM
Aspect
Racer

Originally Posted by Oneminde
I am considering the same. Ofc, there needs to be mods made since B-LED has Bolt Pattern:D2S 4.0 Standard while 2IS is 4DS or H7 in case of halogen. So brackets need to be made - not a problem, and adapting the wire harness for the Bi illumination function on the low beam. I also don't want to "destroy" the original HID system in the car, just in case I should need it. Better be on the safe side so to speak. I also think the accessibility on the Spec D is better compared to the original.
I'm new to headlight modding so I'm not sure if what you said is very straight forward or not. If i underwent this project I'd prob have to get someone to do it for me.

So this Morimoto bi-led projector doesn't use bulbs and has them built straight in?
Old 08-07-17, 09:33 AM
Oneminde
Driver School Candidate

I'm new to headlight modding so I'm not sure if what you said is very straight forward or not. If i underwent this project I'd prob have to get someone to do it for me.

So this Morimoto bi-led projector doesn't use bulbs and has them built straight in?
Here is an excellent thread on replacing the headlight
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...on-how-to.html

Regarding fitting something like i.Lens or B-LED, I expect work need to be done to make it sit properly and then there is electric re-wiring to an extent.

And yes, the LED chips are built in. Here are two examples. Some have them in a row. Not sure how Morimoto does it, but it is similar.

Old 08-29-17, 10:53 AM
antik
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do realize you need to bake your headlights in an oven to pull off the front plastic lens in order to fit new projectors? I have retrofitted Mini D2S projectors into my 2013 headlights, and I also had to cut a huge hole in the back of my headlights to have access to the rear of the projector to fit/change bulbs. You also loose auto-level functions fitting aftermarket projectors.

At the end of the day, these still don't come anywhere near the performance of an aftermarket HID setup, so don't waste your time and money on them, especially in a 2IS.
Old 08-29-17, 11:55 AM
Oneminde
Driver School Candidate

You have a good point. This thread is more about the options we have these days. Its an individual choice if one want or not want to upgrade to LED's. For some it will be worth it, for others, it will not. Thanks for your input btw
Old 08-30-17, 03:56 AM
antik
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately, you will not be upgrading going to an LED setup at this point in time. LED is still in its infant stages and it can't currently compete with the output of halogen, let alone HID. Not to mention that it is overly expensive compared to the much cheaper and better-performing aftermarket HID projectors currently available on the market.
If you need better output, there are a few mods you can do to increase performance with the factory HID setup, like upgrading to a 50 watt ballast, upgrading bulbs and/or running a clear projector lens.
Old 08-30-17, 06:13 AM
Aspect
Racer

Well if Morimoto states that it's on par with the Mini D2S so it should be at least better than halogens... I don't think LED bulb swaps will ever be that good but this is an entire projector built around the LED system and not just a bulb swap. I'm a big fan of trying new tech so I've already preordered one and now just waiting on them to ship mid late September.
Old 08-31-17, 01:50 AM
antik
Driver School Candidate

Well if Morimoto states that it's on par with the Mini D2S
On par with D2S? Where did you hear that nonsense? They have absolutely no width what so ever, even less than halogen. Hotspot intensity is decent and comparable to HID, but that's about it.
Old 02-24-18, 10:51 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by antik
You do realize you need to bake your headlights in an oven to pull off the front plastic lens in order to fit new projectors? I have retrofitted Mini D2S projectors into my 2013 headlights, and I also had to cut a huge hole in the back of my headlights to have access to the rear of the projector to fit/change bulbs. You also loose auto-level functions fitting aftermarket projectors.

At the end of the day, these still don't come anywhere near the performance of an aftermarket HID setup, so don't waste your time and money on them, especially in a 2IS.

I read your post about retrofitting d2s 4.0 projectors into 2013 IS lights. My IS does not have OEM HID's but Halogens. I purchased a Face Lift version Depo lights that are Halogen with DRL strips along the bottom lens. I am wanting to retrofit HID Projectors into these Depo lights and preserve my OEM lights. Now the retrofit, if I where to use a straight ignitor plug, just how big of a hole would you think you would need to cut to have access to the connector and complete a bulb change. The hole you cut, how did you seal it? Was there any interferance with the air box or other things when you installed the light back into the car? Do you have any pictures? I am curious how the new projector lines up with the reflector housing. I am looking for a "clean look" if I go "all in". I am planning a 35 watt balast, and 5500 K bulbs. I have H11 5500 HID bulbs in my OEM lights now and pleased with the color. The retrofit D2s 4.0 should be a great upgrade.. if I can work out these final details. My new Depo lights arrived today, I am going to Open one to start planning the retrofit! Hopefully 3 inch projectors will fit and have a good finish look.

Thanks for any info you can pass along

Tex
Old 02-25-18, 07:23 PM
StevieJ06
Driver School Candidate

So what exactly is the benefit over H.I.D's? I have 8k in my headlights and fog-lights and L.E.D.'s dont seem to me to look any better.

Quick Reply: Morimoto M-LED (Bi-LED)