Mechanical lock and unlock not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-17, 03:21 PM
CMoore002
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanical lock and unlock not working

hi guys,

so the battery in my key fob died today so I popped off the cover for the key hole and tried to unlock the door manually. Turned the key right nothing, turned the key left nothing. I can turn the key both ways so it's not seized, it just won't unlock or lock the door. I was literally locked out of the car and couldn't do anything to get in. Any idea of why the mechanical lock and unlock wouldn't work?

Thanks for any advice and information!
Old 08-22-17, 03:59 PM
Lexusdk
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's possible you have the wrong key shank for your car. Maybe the key is worn or maybe the key cylinder itself is internally worn. If anything, just put a new key battery in the fob. Or go to the dealership with proof of vehicle ownership (with vin) and cut a new key.

does the key work for the glove compartment?
Old 08-22-17, 04:39 PM
CMoore002
Driver School Candidate

This is going to be the 3rd time they have replaced the door acutuator... and yes the key works for the glove box. Once they replace it it works fine until my key fob battery dies and I need to use the manual unlock then nothing.

Originally Posted by Lexusdk
It's possible you have the wrong key shank for your car. Maybe the key is worn or maybe the key cylinder itself is internally worn. If anything, just put a new key battery in the fob. Or go to the dealership with proof of vehicle ownership (with vin) and cut a new key.

does the key work for the glove compartment?
Old 08-22-17, 05:33 PM
Lexusdk
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CMoore002
This is going to be the 3rd time they have replaced the door acutuator... and yes the key works for the glove box. Once they replace it it works fine until my key fob battery dies and I need to use the manual unlock then nothing.
So the door lock actuator is going bad as well? Who keeps replacing your door lock actuators, Lexus dealership or independent shops? And are you using factory Lexus actuators? Because if they keep failing, you should bring it back to the dealership and the service director should work something out for you. They usually goodwill it.

If anything just replace the key fob battery.
Old 08-22-17, 05:58 PM
CMoore002
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexusdk
So the door lock actuator is going bad as well? Who keeps replacing your door lock actuators, Lexus dealership or independent shops? And are you using factory Lexus actuators? Because if they keep failing, you should bring it back to the dealership and the service director should work something out for you. They usually goodwill it.

If anything just replace the key fob battery.
Maybe I used the wrong terminology with actuator. In all honestly I'm not sure what the part is. All of the electronic door locks work perfect via the key fob and the door button, it's literally just the part where you physically put the key in won't unlock the door. The past 2 times this has happened they (local lexus dealership) replaced the "actuator" and after having that done the manual lock/unlocked worked. I contacted the dealership again and will bring the car in for them to "diagnosis" and hopefully they won't charge me again to replace it. Unfortunately if it is over a year old and or over 12,000 miles the shop manager told me it is not under warrenty. Maybe third time will be a charm seeing as it the third motor they put in my car finally fixed my previous issue 😣

Last edited by CMoore002; 08-22-17 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Spelling error