Bluetooth Issue & Music

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-17, 10:06 PM
ComponY
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bluetooth Issue & Music

Hey guys,

This might sound like a stupid question, but I can't figure this out... I'm an IT and very techy, and I'm still having problems haha. I bought a 2009 IS250 AWD today (with navigation). I paired my phone via Bluetooth. My iPhone says it was connected, and even on the Nav, my phone showed up. I opened Spotify, and clicked the devices. Under "Bluetooth" it only shows my iPhone, and doesn't show the Lexus on the list. My phone calls work through the car, but Spotify's native streaming doesn't work.

Anyone have issues with this before?
Old 09-28-17, 10:10 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 183 Posts

Believe 10+ models got A2DP support for music streaming. You're stuck with the AUX unfortunately, or an aftermarket kit.
Old 09-28-17, 10:13 PM
ComponY
Driver

Originally Posted by Zmon
Believe 10+ models got A2DP support for music streaming. You're stuck with the AUX unfortunately, or an aftermarket kit.
Weird. I assumed that with the basic BlueTooth version they're using, they would be able to stream whatever is on the iPhone. I'm sure if I had music on my phone directly it would stream to the car, but I'm wondering if native streaming doesn't work due to the older version of BT.

I might do some more digging, but couldn't find anything on it yet. I appreciate your info!
Old 09-28-17, 10:25 PM
ComponY
Driver

Just found a post that says this: "Lexus models built before 2009 with Bluetooth support are limited to phone functionality only. The models built after this should have the A2DP Bluetooth profile, which allows for mobile phones with A2DP to wirelessly stream music to the car. "

So I think it should work, since I'm in a 2009. Now I'm confused
Old 09-28-17, 10:26 PM
08treefidd
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same issue with mine. Got a GROM BT3 unit and problem solved. Just pull the dash apart real quick, plug it in an you're done. The sound on my ML system is much better through the unit then the factory CD player as well.
The following users liked this post:
ComponY (09-28-17)
Old 09-28-17, 10:30 PM
ComponY
Driver

Originally Posted by 08treefidd
I had the same issue with mine. Got a GROM BT3 unit and problem solved. Just pull the dash apart real quick, plug it in an you're done. The sound on my ML system is much better through the unit then the factory CD player as well.
Anyway you could direct me towards the one you used? I see a few on their site.
Old 09-28-17, 10:37 PM
08treefidd
Rookie

Here is a link to one on ebay. I bought mine used off this forum for about half that price an it was a GREAT investment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A2DP-Bluetoo...ZSBW1I&vxp=mtr
Old 09-28-17, 10:42 PM
ComponY
Driver

Here is a link to one on ebay. I bought mine used off this forum for about half that price an it was a GREAT investment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A2DP-Bluetoo...ZSBW1I&vxp=mtr
What year is your IS, buddy?
Old 09-28-17, 10:46 PM
08treefidd
Rookie

Originally Posted by ComponY
What year is your IS, buddy?
2008, it should work undoubtedly on anything that doesn't stream audio from the factory.
Old 09-28-17, 10:52 PM
ComponY
Driver

2008, it should work undoubtedly on anything that doesn't stream audio from the factory.

Ahhh ok! The 2009 + is supposed to be able to stream music. Mine is 2009. =/
Old 09-28-17, 10:55 PM
08treefidd
Rookie

Originally Posted by ComponY
Ahhh ok! The 2009 + is supposed to be able to stream music. Mine is 2009. =/
I saw that in the original post, I'm not sure why they list it working 06-11 then? The unit would be useless if it just unlocks things the factory vehicles have lol. Who knows I guess.

Good luck
Old 09-28-17, 10:58 PM
ComponY
Driver

I saw that in the original post, I'm not sure why they list it working 06-11 then? The unit would be useless if it just unlocks things the factory vehicles have lol. Who knows I guess.

Good luck
I'm gonna try to poke around a little more, and if I can't get it to work, I'll probably buy it. Thanks for all the info and help, man! Much appreciated.
Old 09-29-17, 01:28 AM
lovekeiiy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the A2DP didn't come with media center till 2010. I'm not familiar with iPhone/iOS, but with Android, you can check to see if the Bluetooth connection is phone, media or both. I would check your phone to see if it shows media connection. I suspect your car doesn't have A2DP.

If I'm correct, you have multiple options to get used. You can use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and connect your phone that way; I'm assuming your iPhone has the headphone/3.5mm port. Amazon has lots of cheap adapters that plug into cigarette port; some will connect via FM channel, others have 3.5mm port. I would use the 3.5mm port. A lot of will have phone connective too. A lot can be picked up in the twenty to thirty dollar range. I've read the cigarette port isn't isolated very well and will you hear some buzzing; I've experienced this using a USB charger and connecting via 3.5mm to listen to music, but it was during no music or low volumes.

There are a lot fancier ones, but they cost a lot more money. I personally picked up ViasTech SL3b-L. This unit just adds on to the factor media center. Still used factor Bluetooth for phone, but adds another channel for the Bluetooth streaming. The nice part, get to use all the factor controls--steering wheel, center console media controls--and will add some metadata on the screen. There are other similar units out there. I cannot comment on the sound and execution since I haven't received or installed the unit. What I read from others who have, works well.

Of course, you could just replace the media center will a different aftermarket navigation/headunit that does include all that stuff. Not a cheap option either. Won't maintain the factory look if that's important for you. There is a company that sells an adapter to change keep the factory navigation and install an aftermarket headunit; it's pretty pricey at over two hundred dollars.

I didn't research it enough, but you can also purchase a new media center from the people who the Lexus one. I forget the manufacturer name at the moment. I believe they had A2DP. The price was seven hundred dollars and had it's own DVD player. It probably is a minimal installation, but I didn't look into it getting one after the price and my needs and wants.

There are also some no-name Chinese media center replacements too. A few threads on them. But the general theme, there was an issue with passenger airbag indicator and, possible, questionable build quality.
Old 09-29-17, 12:28 PM
08treefidd
Rookie

This thread = https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...bluetooth.html

Seems to indicate 2010 was the first year, not 2009. If you end up using the Grom deal, my steering controls work for everything still. Volume and track advance. It just doesn't display the artist or song title, however I drive with my screen off anyways. That post seemed to imply the 2010 model and up don't display that information either. I liked the Grom piece because it just plugged inline to the CD player port and it was done. Mounted it behind the dash and it's out of sight out of mind. Connects before my system is done booting up every time as well.
Old 09-30-17, 12:44 AM
lovekeiiy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread = https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...bluetooth.html

... using the Grom ... It just doesn't display the artist or song title, however I drive with my screen off anyways. That post seemed to imply the 2010 model and up don't display that information either. ...
I didn't mean to imply anything about the Lexus A2DP implementation. I have limited experience with it. The NX200T (2016 I think) I got as a loaner car in July had it. I did display track information from Google Play Music, but it was quirky. Google Play Music had to already be open and playing something before turning on the car for it to display the track information. The controls worked fine either way.

I was trying to say that some of the solutions will not display the track information. For some people, this will be important. Viastech solution is one that will display track information. I don't know if this is for MP3 files or similar on a mobile device or if it includes other sources such as Google Music, iTunes, Spotify, and so forth.

Like the Grom, the unit is installed out of the way. Integrated into the factory media system.

Here are some pictures Viastech posted on their website.
Viastech SL3b-L
Viastech SL3b-LBeyond that, I was just trying to be a bit more thorough on the options since it was something I was recently looking into. Figured might as well save someone some time in the general research area so he/she could focus on what appealed most.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Issue & Music