IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine Removal guide.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17, 06:01 PM
ssgpate
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Engine Removal guide.

Good evening, Is there a engine removal guide on here I am overlooking? Looking to see if engine can be pulled out top without issues. Thanks
Old 09-29-17, 07:13 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

The only thing I have seen is some Youtube videos. If your planning on doing it, it will be 10 x easier with a hoist. Taking it out from the top is going to be very difficult.
Old 09-29-17, 07:16 PM
ssgpate
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mrfix
The only thing I have seen is some Youtube videos. If your planning on doing it, it will be 10 x easier with a hoist. Taking it out from the top is going to be very difficult.
Every motor I have pulled has been out the top personally I have never pulled one off the frame.
Old 09-30-17, 06:46 AM
2grfan
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I pulled from the top. It's a painstaking process to remove all wiring, hoses, etc. I think it's at least 20 hours book time. My struggles were the alternator and trans flex plate bolts, simply because there isn't much room. For the top bell housing bolts in the rear I had to remove all of the rear hoses behind the intake mani. Seriously it would have been 1/2 the time to just drop the front subframe with trans, but I didn't have a lift. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Old 09-30-17, 09:02 AM
ssgpate
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2grfan
I pulled from the top. It's a painstaking process to remove all wiring, hoses, etc. I think it's at least 20 hours book time. My struggles were the alternator and trans flex plate bolts, simply because there isn't much room. For the top bell housing bolts in the rear I had to remove all of the rear hoses behind the intake mani. Seriously it would have been 1/2 the time to just drop the front subframe with trans, but I didn't have a lift. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Why did you remove the ALT and all instead of just pulling it out with the motor?
Old 09-30-17, 09:31 AM
2grfan
Driver

I suppose you don't have to remove the alternator if your pulling the trans with it. But there is no room to remove the torque converter flex plate bolts without at least removing the A/C, so while I was there I removed the alternator. I did not remove the lines on the A/C. I left it in place so as to reuse it. Also left he condenser but did remove the radiator.
Old 09-30-17, 09:34 AM
ssgpate
Driver School Candidate

Do you have to pull down the AC system?
Old 09-30-17, 09:51 AM
2grfan
Driver

Like I said, just move it out of the way, no need to discharge.
Old 09-30-17, 10:22 AM
ssgpate
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2grfan
Like I said, just move it out of the way, no need to discharge.

Thanks Ill probably do some pics and post up how I pull it out late this week.
Old 09-30-17, 07:53 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ssgpate
Thanks Ill probably do some pics and post up how I pull it out late this week.
Please do.Just take as many pics as you can...

There is a multi bay garage in Denton TX that will rent you a bay with a lift for as long as you need. You have access to compressors and tools also or you can bring your own. I don't think it is very expensive. They have a mechanic on site to help if you need it. I would consider something like this if I were removing the engine. Maybe you have a place like this near you.

Last edited by Mrfix; 09-30-17 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-30-17, 08:21 PM
ssgpate
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mrfix
Please do.Just take as many pics as you can...

There is a multi bay garage in Denton TX that will rent you a bay with a lift for as long as you need. You have access to compressors and tools also or you can bring your own. I don't think it is very expensive. They have a mechanic on site to help if you need it. I would consider something like this if I were removing the engine. Maybe you have a place like this near you.

Thanks, but Ill just go all out red neck right here in my garage and jack this ***** up in the air with something that would scare the mask off from Old Leather face. im going to start on it Thursday i think but first I have to put the motor back into another car i have Tuesday night so I can get it out of the way and free up some room. Ill definately take some PICS
Old 10-13-17, 09:03 AM
ssgpate
Driver School Candidate

I finally got started on the engine replacement,While I am at it I am doing new headlights, painting bumper, new Brakes, Rotors, Tires ETC Going for a rebuild. I got a nice low mileage motor in yesterday that looks to be in great shape. I was going to buy me a setup to walnut blast the valves but they were so clean it would have been pointless.

Im going to attempt to pull the motor and Transmission together out of the top of the car here is a picture of the patient.

Engine Removal guide.-gw7kolj.jpg
Old 10-13-17, 09:05 AM
ssgpate
Driver School Candidate

Attachment 491091Attachment 491092
Old 10-13-17, 10:48 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

To make your engine swap super easy, you can remove (unbolt) the front core support and walk the engine out and in.
The following users liked this post:
ssgpate (10-13-17)
Old 10-13-17, 04:27 PM
ssgpate
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, So i ran into this issue im not familiar with... How are you all fixing this nipple coming out?
Engine Removal guide.-mhidydw.jpg

Quick Reply: Engine Removal guide.