IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

panic alarm went off this morning now car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-17, 07:10 AM
rmonaco
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Still not fixed

Thank you for al the advice the shop said $720 new starter but starter gets power?????
Old 10-07-17, 05:24 PM
rmonaco
Driver School Candidate

Default Still won’t start

I towed my LS 460 to a shop it’s not the Lexus dealership they say that it’s the starter although the starter with internal solenoid gets power and proper amps. I feel that is not the problem I’m at 105k and the starter showed zero signs before panic alarm set also lots of people in this forum experiencing different results. Seems like a relay or a fuse would be checked or suggested first. I discovered I do have a master key, there is not a lock at passenger or trunk tried to sit in car do lock umvock sequence another member posted. Only worried I’ll pay for the starter job and or won’t fix it =\
Originally Posted by Drizell
Please Lord don't let it be a big repair. I have faith you will get through this. When this is all over Treat your self to a good dinner out or something for the house, or if you got a Guy Friend invite each other out to take a moment away from Life. I will hold my breath and hope for the best.
Old 10-07-17, 06:25 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Back there someone I suggested jumping the starter solenoid.
This can be done two ways. A small wire from Battery +12v to the solenoid. If the starter cranks the engine you have bypassed all of the cars electronics and tested the solenoid, battery, starter, and cables.

If this works, it points to the cars electronics.

If it doesn't crank the engine, now you use jumper cables and power the starter directly. If the starter cranks, its the solenoid. If it doesn't, it's the starter.

Two things, a big battery cable goes to the solenoid, you jump from the solenoid to the starter input. The starter motor should run but it may not crank the engine with a bad solenoid. The other thing is, insulated pliers can be used to jump the terminals of the solenoid and starter.

Make these people prove to you what is broken. If the cars electics do not provide sufficient current in AMPs from the battery, the starter will not operate. Any mechanic worth a damn can diagnose this without taking the starter out or selling you something you don't need.
The following users liked this post:
rmonaco (10-07-17)
Old 10-07-17, 06:55 PM
rmonaco
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! The car is still at the shop I’ll be towing it to a friends on Tuesday. Definitely will have hm use your instructions to double check the starter. Also the fuses and or the relay switches. All these suggestions are so helpful. I’ll keep updating until solved in case anyone else experiences this= )

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Back there someone I suggested jumping the starter solenoid.
This can be done two ways. A small wire from Battery +12v to the solenoid. If the starter cranks the engine you have bypassed all of the cars electronics and tested the solenoid, battery, starter, and cables.

If this works, it points to the cars electronics.

If it doesn't crank the engine, now you use jumper cables and power the starter directly. If the starter cranks, its the solenoid. If it doesn't, it's the starter.

Two things, a big battery cable goes to the solenoid, you jump from the solenoid to the starter input. The starter motor should run but it may not crank the engine with a bad solenoid. The other thing is, insulated pliers can be used to jump the terminals of the solenoid and starter.

Make these people prove to you what is broken. If the cars electics do not provide sufficient current in AMPs from the battery, the starter will not operate. Any mechanic worth a damn can diagnose this without taking the starter out or selling you something you don't need.
Th
Old 10-07-17, 07:09 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 114 Posts

These starter motors are under the inlet manifold, a lot of work to remove, make sure it is the starter and not a fuse or relay first good luck.
The following users liked this post:
rmonaco (10-07-17)
Old 04-25-22, 07:23 AM
husenos85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=rmonaco;9996919] hello what you did for the car pls ?
Old 05-17-22, 01:24 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm not sure whether it will assist in this case, but you can run diagnostics and access the.LS 460 modifications with the carista app and regular ODB2 BT. Too bad it dosen't work with the 2008 Lexus IS 250 : (