IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What is my problem (IS220D dead)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-17, 11:58 PM
intempo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is my problem (IS220D dead)

I am the owner of a Lexus is220d which is a very nice car,my issue is that in the last week the car has been totally dead no lights or anything (even the push button start) the car hasn't even been able to turn over even when we've had someone to jump start us it hasn't worked anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?
Old 10-04-17, 12:35 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Have you tested the battery????? When an old battery has a "dead cell", it means that one of the metal plates in the battery has completely corroded and fell into contact with the next cell, thus completely shorting out the battery. I've tried to jump cars with a "dead cell" battery, with no luck. A good sign for a "dead cell" battery is when you turn the ignition on, you get almost no lights on the dash, the dome light barely functions, almost no headlights, etc. Maybe nothing at all happens when you turn the key. Hopefully this picture illustrates what I'm talking about.

Also I'm assuming you have checked the battery terminals for corrosion. I've had this happen one time and it kept my truck from starting, excessive corrosion on the battery terminal kept it from making contact with the cables, thus no start. You can pore Coke onto the battery terminals, the Co2 dissolves the battery acid, truck started like a charm. You can also use club soda if you have it, as this would keep from making a sticky mess, but coke is what I had on hand.

99% certain your problem is battery related. If not the battery itself, maybe the cables going from it. Possibly a bad ground, disconnected or chafed cable, etc.

Last edited by Aron9000; 10-04-17 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-04-17, 05:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome to CL

What Aron posted about the battery is correct, but, if you use the Coke trick, be careful not to let it run onto or splash onto other metal objects close by, or onto the paint on the fender....it can be damaging corrosive to even clearcoat paint. You can also buy a battery-post-cleaning tool at most auto parts shops. It has especially-shaped brushes for cleaning both the post and the hole/terminal that fits on it. It comes in two parts, and snaps apart. To use it, though, you first have to loosen the battery terminals and pull them off the post...which might mean a re-boot for the car's computer and re-setting items which rely on parasite-battery current, like the clock and radio settings.

Old 10-04-17, 07:28 AM
Drizell
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yupe I remember using the coke trick. I sue to use a screw driver or silver spoon and tap the terminals until it knocks most of it off. Take the terminal connector off with the screw driver and make sure it is connected back on tightly like stated above. I had to post a useless comment as i need to reach the goal of post per week. Trying to post 500 times by the end of this month. Im like a hawk looking into each forum post and adding my little insight.
Old 10-05-17, 05:48 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by intempo
I am the owner of a Lexus is220d which is a very nice car,my issue is that in the last week the car has been totally dead no lights or anything (even the push button start) the car hasn't even been able to turn over even when we've had someone to jump start us it hasn't worked anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?
When you say it hasn't been able to turn over, does it actually try or does it remain dead with no lights? Does the LED on the start button lights?