IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Resonator question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-17, 03:35 AM
2istype
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resonator question

I'm fairly new to this car and haven't had the chance to look under my stock exhaust setup. Coming from a g37x sedan it has two resonators. What about these cars? Also I'm thinking about deleting the resonators and getting something
a bit better what resonators do you guys recommend? All I see is this ar20 aero turbine resonator on youtube and it sounds good but I also heard the invidia mid pipe that sounds better but from the websites I've seen its listed as test pipe and others mid pipe so which is it?

I'm leaning towards an aftermarket resonator since all my money was dump buying this is350.
Old 10-06-17, 06:49 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. Unsure of the price of the resonator but the invidia midpipe ( or test pipe) is 320.00ish which isnt bad. Hit up the classifieds here to see if there is a used one available. I think we have 2 primary cats, 1 resonator , 2 secondary cats. Some people just delete them altogether but in my opinion is too raspy.
Old 10-06-17, 08:16 AM
2istype
Driver School Candidate

Thank you! And i don't think I wanna delete my cats. If deleting the resonator will it make it sound raspy as well?
Old 10-06-17, 12:25 PM
bbaugher47

Hit up you tube for some videos. But yeah, it will be raspier but some folks like it:-).
The following users liked this post:
2istype (10-06-17)
Old 10-06-17, 01:04 PM
steveis350
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Vibrant Resonator

Originally Posted by 2istype
I'm fairly new to this car and haven't had the chance to look under my stock exhaust setup. Coming from a g37x sedan it has two resonators. What about these cars? Also I'm thinking about deleting the resonators and getting something
a bit better what resonators do you guys recommend? All I see is this ar20 aero turbine resonator on youtube and it sounds good but I also heard the invidia mid pipe that sounds better but from the websites I've seen its listed as test pipe and others mid pipe so which is it?

I'm leaning towards an aftermarket resonator since all my money was dump buying this is350.

Hey. Congrats on your purchase. Thought I could give you some ideas with the setup I have. F-Sport axle back, Vibrant resonator, and 2 flowmaster 223 series high-flow secondary cats. Here are 2 vids I have to give you an idea of what it sounds like:

Start-up

Driving around

As someone else said, the invidia mid-pipe introduces some rasp as does removing the resonator altogether. I had originally just changed the resonator and it was only slightly louder but kept the same deep tone the F-Sport axle-back had. So it sounded like what you'll hear in the vids, but quieter, particularly under heavy load or WOT which is really loud now. lol

Price wise, the 2 secondary cats and resonator cost me around $300 CAD from Amazon so I'm sure you can find the same. Keep in mind though, you'll need to pay a shop for install unless you have a mig in your garage

Good luck
2istype (10-06-17)
Old 10-06-17, 01:11 PM
2istype
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by steveis350
Hey. Congrats on your purchase. Thought I could give you some ideas with the setup I have. F-Sport axle back, Vibrant resonator, and 2 flowmaster 223 series high-flow secondary cats. Here are 2 vids I have to give you an idea of what it sounds like:

Start-up
https://youtu.be/fVXsx3MuSVc

Awww man what a tease no revs?
Old 10-06-17, 01:20 PM
2istype
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
Hit up you tube for some videos. But yeah, it will be raspier but some folks like it:-).
I saw this one it sounds so nice yet not too loud. I can't find much videos on folks that have aftermarket resonators on their is350.

It crazy how these cars sound similar to the 350z/370z/g37/q50 but the vq35/vq37vhr sounds a little bit nicer.

And this one with all out muffler and resonator delete its so much music to the ears though

Old 10-06-17, 01:31 PM
steveis350
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2istype
Awww man what a tease no revs?

lol.. Near the end of the start-up... just one or two revs. Watch the other vid... I know it's from inside the car but you get an idea of what it sounds like while driving. In neutral and park, it's more quiet so it's not completely accurate to when you're actually driving. I'll try to get another video with drive-bys and recorded from a car following. I was supposed to have that done a while back but never got around to it.
2istype (10-06-17)
Old 10-06-17, 03:10 PM
christ0efu
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

IMO the resonator delete with a stock exhaust sound stock still. Just a tad louder. I went back to my stock exhaust after selling my tsudo exhaust + extended tips to my friend. Tsudo axleback and extended tip were just perfect for me.
Old 10-06-17, 03:14 PM
2istype
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by steveis350
lol.. Near the end of the start-up... just one or two revs. Watch the other vid... I know it's from inside the car but you get an idea of what it sounds like while driving. In neutral and park, it's more quiet so it's not completely accurate to when you're actually driving. I'll try to get another video with drive-bys and recorded from a car following. I was supposed to have that done a while back but never got around to it.
Can you record one outside when you can
Old 10-06-17, 03:16 PM
2istype
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by christ0efu
IMO the resonator delete with a stock exhaust sound stock still. Just a tad louder. I went back to my stock exhaust after selling my tsudo exhaust + extended tips to my friend. Tsudo axleback and extended tip were just perfect for me.
I'm not sure what you mean that it still sound stock. How's the drone on deleted resonators and muffler?
Old 10-06-17, 03:20 PM
christ0efu
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I felt like it gave the car no difference with the resonator delete. No drone
Old 10-06-17, 03:22 PM
2istype
Driver School Candidate

That's a shock u for sure right? I hate low Rpm drone on highway/freeway/turnpike
Old 10-06-17, 04:57 PM
bbaugher47

Tsudo is great. Love mine. And cheap:-).
Old 10-07-17, 10:02 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

I wouldn't delete the resonator if i were you. I currently has F-sport (the very first version) and aero turbine resonator. I love it, nice and smooth sound when you cruising it but so mean when you gas it hard

Quick Reply: Resonator question