IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Perfect Mileage or Suggested Mileage for IS250

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-17, 05:08 PM
scruthirds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DPer4mance
I bought my IS250 auto with 179.000km (112K miles) and did 13.000km (8K miles) since I bought it. The car has been running great and looks and feels like new. I haven't had a single issue with it yet.

A friend of mine is a mechanic at Lexus and works on these car's on a daily basis. TAccording to him the 2nd Gen IS is a very well built car and serious issue's are rare (except with the EU-only Diesel).

If you are looking for a car with about 100-140K miles on it I would suggest going for an Automatic or check if the clutch has been replaced in case you go manual.

yeah I plan to get auto especially Is350 just wondering if 140-180k miles on engine is good as long as maintenance has been kept up with. Like never owned a car with that many miles so wondering if it’ll last 5k miles or 50k miles.
Old 11-08-17, 05:09 PM
scruthirds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
There will be 350s in your budget. Just research the car before you buy it to prevent yourself from buying a big smelly turd.
do you feel 180k miles on IS350 engine is good to last for awhile?
Old 11-08-17, 05:12 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

It should be fine if the previous owner (s) took care of it properly.
Old 11-09-17, 12:11 AM
DPer4mance
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess the engine is generally the last part to worry about. Just check for excessive oil consumption. Things that wear and/or break with higher mileage are startermotors, alternators, waterpumps and moving parts like wheelbearings. With the right maintenance these kind of breakdowns can pretty much be avoided. The auto gearboxes are pretty much bulletproof.

Good thing about a higher mileage car is that they usually traveled longer distances at a time. Lots of highway and an engine/gearbox that is up to optimal working temperature, so less wear. Check how long the previous owner had it and check the service history. With the right maintenance and a careful previous owner a 2IS should be able to reach 250.000 miles (and more) without any serious issues.
Old 11-09-17, 10:45 AM
scruthirds
Driver School Candidate

I guess the engine is generally the last part to worry about. Just check for excessive oil consumption. Things that wear and/or break with higher mileage are startermotors, alternators, waterpumps and moving parts like wheelbearings. With the right maintenance these kind of breakdowns can pretty much be avoided. The auto gearboxes are pretty much bulletproof.

Good thing about a higher mileage car is that they usually traveled longer distances at a time. Lots of highway and an engine/gearbox that is up to optimal working temperature, so less wear. Check how long the previous owner had it and check the service history. With the right maintenance and a careful previous owner a 2IS should be able to reach 250.000 miles (and more) without any serious issues.
awesome man, great info and just the answer I’m looking for. I plan on keeping this car no matter what and once it breaks just drop another engine in it. How much you think it would be to rebuild the engine? I know there’s rebuilds like pistons and machine shop stuff but what about the whole engine or what would need to be rebuilt to put lots of miles? Is the bottom end pretty tough or is that recommended to be rebuilt too when doing engine rebuild?

Sorry i I bring up so many scenarios, I’m making sure I get the right car because I wanna keep this car for as long as I can.
Old 11-09-17, 10:46 AM
scruthirds
Driver School Candidate

It should be fine if the previous owner (s) took care of it properly.
awesome, thanks for your feedback man. Much appreciated. So I guess the Is350 regardless of miles is better as long as the recall items have been performed and has been properly maintained.
Old 11-09-17, 10:47 AM
scruthirds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by petersu33
I would suggest a 350 since there's extra 100+hp without carbon buildup issue. But it doesn't mean that it won't have other problem since you're going after a high mileage car. Make sure you do a pre-purchase inspection if the owner is OK with it. No matter which one you get, be picky and check all the maintenance history. They are reliable but the repair cost won't be as cheap as a corolla.
i didnt think of that but more more than likely I’ll be buying from dealer unless better deal with individual. Is there a place besides CL that is reputable where I can stay on 6k-7k budget?
Old 11-09-17, 05:25 PM
bbaugher47

If you purcase from a private owner they will be more familiar with the carthan a dealer who more than likely bought it at an auction.
Old 11-09-17, 05:47 PM
scruthirds
Driver School Candidate

If you purcase from a private owner they will be more familiar with the carthan a dealer who more than likely bought it at an auction.
yeah true, you think I’ll have any luck haggling one for 6k? I’m pretty sure I can but I feel some people will think what they have is more than what it’s worth. I think for 6k I can find nice 350 with about 130k miles maybe couple more. Just don’t know where else to look besides CL and not many sell in FL on here for that low.
Old 11-09-17, 06:20 PM
bbaugher47

Auto trader, search here on the forum. Find a FB lexus page such as ISfreaks , etc. my best advice to you is this ; do not rush the purchase. Take your time and find the right one for you. I looked at several and even rented a car to drive an hour north to Arlingron Va to look at one. ( I was not getting rid of my jeep at that time so a one way rental was ideal) I went to the Audi dealership and noticed how beat up the car was on the inside. The amp was blown , trim was im bad shape. I knew this wasn’t the car for me. Before the trip I was sure that I was going to buy the car but after seeing it in person , I decided to go another route. I found my 2007 with every option , owned by an old lady , and 35k miles. So if I would have settled on the Audi dealership car , I would have missed out on this gem. So search your butt off , research your find and make an educated decision based on your findings.
Old 11-09-17, 11:36 PM
andper10
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The auto gearboxes are pretty much bulletproof.
Unfortunately this 15 page thread disagrees:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/728555-check-vsc-light-need-to-replace-transmission.html

IMO the "lifetime" transmission fluid should be exchanged by 100k to 140k miles if you plan to keep the car long term. Unfortunately transmission fluid is not included in the factory maintenance schedule so it may be hard to find a car that has already had it done. It is cheaper to do a ~$300 fluid exchange than to replace the transmission or even to pay a shop to pull the pan and replace a single solenoid in the transmission.
Old 11-10-17, 04:57 AM
scruthirds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by andper10
Unfortunately this 15 page thread disagrees:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/728555-check-vsc-light-need-to-replace-transmission.html

IMO the "lifetime" transmission fluid should be exchanged by 100k to 140k miles if you plan to keep the car long term. Unfortunately transmission fluid is not included in the factory maintenance schedule so it may be hard to find a car that has already had it done. It is cheaper to do a ~$300 fluid exchange than to replace the transmission or even to pay a shop to pull the pan and replace a single solenoid in the transmission.
how much do you think it would be it replace the solenoid, incase that needed to be done?
Old 11-10-17, 04:58 AM
scruthirds
Driver School Candidate

Auto trader, search here on the forum. Find a FB lexus page such as ISfreaks , etc. my best advice to you is this ; do not rush the purchase. Take your time and find the right one for you. I looked at several and even rented a car to drive an hour north to Arlingron Va to look at one. ( I was not getting rid of my jeep at that time so a one way rental was ideal) I went to the Audi dealership and noticed how beat up the car was on the inside. The amp was blown , trim was im bad shape. I knew this wasn’t the car for me. Before the trip I was sure that I was going to buy the car but after seeing it in person , I decided to go another route. I found my 2007 with every option , owned by an old lady , and 35k miles. So if I would have settled on the Audi dealership car , I would have missed out on this gem. So search your butt off , research your find and make an educated decision based on your findings.
true man, thanks again for all the help. I’m gonna have money here soon just getting all the details now so I know what to look for.