IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 with 120k or IS350 with 150k?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-17, 04:10 PM
scruthirds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aspect
Also factor in about 400-600 ish every 120000kms for a walnut blasting for your is250 if you're driving it into the ground
It’s because of the carbon build up I’m gonna go with an IS350 no matter the mileage (nothing over 160k though).
Old 11-09-17, 10:56 PM
andper10
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep in mind that you are buying a 10 year old luxury car that retailed for ~5x what you are looking to spend. You will want to have some money in reserve for maintenance (especially since you aren't mechanically inclined) and parts will cost somewhat more than parts for an economy car but many common ones are available at auto parts stores. Find a good independent mechanic (or follow the great DIY guides on this forum) because the dealership will charge you a lot of money and just replace whole systems rather than fixing the specific problem i.e. transmission, nav system.

Get an IS350 to avoid the carbon build up issue with IS250s which can cause catastrophic engine failure if the engine isn't torn down for media blasting or parts replacement every time the symptoms start happening (no permanent fix is available). The mpg rating is very similar between the two models anyways. Register the VINs of cars you are considering on the Lexus owners site to check the Lexus service history, but some owners stop using the dealership after their warranty ends. Avoid cars with oil consumption testing noted (could be a timing chain gasket leak that is very expensive to fix). If you can find one that has already had the transmission fluid exchanged that is a big plus but it is not listed on the maintenance schedule. Fully exchanging all transmission fluid requires a special adapter which only some dealerships have. You can also do repeated partial fluid exchanges without an adapter. Some people on this forum started having transmission issues like solenoid failures with around 150k on the original transmission fluid.

The tires can only be rotated side to side (if they have a non-directional tread pattern) since the tire width and rim size is different between front and rear (staggered). Tire replacement costs should be somewhat lower for cars with the 17" wheel option.

Common problems can include navigation screen failing, alternator failing, water pump failing, rear brake caliper replacement required due to stuck slide pin, speedo/tach LEDs flickering, radiator cap failure causing overheating (best to replace it preemptively), excessive front inner tire wear if you drive hard (fixed with FIGS or RR Racing #2 LCA bushings), sticky/melting dash and door panels (the list already closed for free replacement on 06-07 models so try to find one with the replacements already complete or where the car is already on the replacement waiting list). If any recalls haven't been done (check Lexus owners site) like wiper arm nut, VVTI Actuator (Cam Gears), fuel pressure sensor gasket, etc. your local Lexus dealership will do them for free (and provide you a loaner car if scheduled in advance) after you buy the car but maybe be wary that the previous owner may not have taken good care of the car mechanically if they didn't even bother to do the free recalls.

Last edited by andper10; 11-09-17 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-10-17, 05:05 AM
scruthirds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by andper10
Keep in mind that you are buying a 10 year old luxury car that retailed for ~5x what you are looking to spend. You will want to have some money in reserve for maintenance (especially since you aren't mechanically inclined) and parts will cost somewhat more than parts for an economy car but many common ones are available at auto parts stores. Find a good independent mechanic (or follow the great DIY guides on this forum) because the dealership will charge you a lot of money and

just replace whole systems rather than fixing the specific problem i.e. transmission, nav system.

Get an IS350 to avoid the carbon build up issue with IS250s which can cause catastrophic engine failure if the engine isn't torn down for media blasting or parts replacement every time the symptoms start happening (no permanent fix is available). The mpg rating is very similar between the two models anyways. Register the VINs of cars you are considering on the Lexus owners site to check the Lexus service history, but some owners stop using the dealership after their warranty ends. Avoid cars with oil consumption testing noted (could be a timing chain gasket leak that is very expensive to fix). If you can find one that has already had the transmission fluid exchanged that is a big plus but it is not listed on the maintenance schedule. Fully exchanging all transmission fluid requires a special adapter which only some dealerships have. You can also do repeated partial fluid exchanges without an adapter. Some people on this forum started having transmission issues like solenoid failures with around 150k on the original transmission fluid.

The tires can only be rotated side to side (if they have a non-directional tread pattern) since the tire width and rim size is different between front and rear (staggered). Tire replacement costs should be somewhat lower for cars with the 17" wheel option.

Common problems can include navigation screen failing, alternator failing, water pump failing, rear brake caliper replacement required due to stuck slide pin, speedo/tach LEDs flickering, radiator cap failure causing overheating (best to replace it preemptively), excessive front inner tire wear if you drive hard (fixed with FIGS or RR Racing #2 LCA bushings), sticky/melting dash and door panels (the list already closed for free replacement on 06-07 models so try to find one with the replacements already complete or where the car is already on the replacement waiting list). If any recalls haven't been done (check Lexus owners site) like wiper arm nut, VVTI Actuator (Cam Gears), fuel pressure sensor gasket, etc. your local Lexus dealership will do them for free (and provide you a loaner car if scheduled in advance) after you buy the car but maybe be wary that the previous owner may not have taken good care of the car mechanically if they didn't even bother to do the free recalls.
How much does solenoid replacement usually cost? And do I have to make new account for every Lexus I’m interested in to check service history? I plan to take it to mechanic to have pre check done before hand so I know what I’m getting myself into, and I plan to replace bushing, coils, and other moving parts soon after buying if not already done. All the info you have given is like gold to me so thanks a lot!
Old 11-16-17, 02:05 PM
PandaBear
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scruthirds
How much does solenoid replacement usually cost? And do I have to make new account for every Lexus I’m interested in to check service history? I plan to take it to mechanic to have pre check done before hand so I know what I’m getting myself into, and I plan to replace bushing, coils, and other moving parts soon after buying if not already done. All the info you have given is like gold to me so thanks a lot!
I've posted an earlier link around here somewhere before on that.

Basically the analysis is that the torque converter clutch started failing, sending particle downstream and wear out the solenoids, causing clutch pack wear further down and sending more particle into the ATF to wear out the rest of them, basically a downward spiral that gets worse by the miles. Usually by then only replacing one or two solenoid is not going to work anymore, and it would be better to do a complete rebuild.

Looking at the used price of the transmission and you'll see that the RWD version for IS250 cost around $1200-1500 vs the AWD version costing only $400-600. This tells you many used transmissions are starting to fail.
Old 11-16-17, 03:39 PM
scruthirds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PandaBear
I've posted an earlier link around here somewhere before on that.

Basically the analysis is that the torque converter clutch started failing, sending particle downstream and wear out the solenoids, causing clutch pack wear further down and sending more particle into the ATF to wear out the rest of them, basically a downward spiral that gets worse by the miles. Usually by then only replacing one or two solenoid is not going to work anymore, and it would be better to do a complete rebuild.

Looking at the used price of the transmission and you'll see that the RWD version for IS250 cost around $1200-1500 vs the AWD version costing only $400-600. This tells you many used transmissions are starting to fail.

mai the solenoid problem is only with the IS250? I’ve decided to go with the Is350, just need to make sure the 120k mike maintenance has been done. I also want to get a list of what the 120k maintenance includes, as well as making sure trans flush has happened too. I know with how much my max to pay on a car isn’t much that I’ll probably be able to get an IS350 with 130k miles or more.