IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ebay Bumper 2IS to 3IS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-20, 06:13 PM
DownUnder
Intermediate

Received 811 Likes on 230 Posts

3IS conversion complete! . More pics coming soon....
📸

The following users liked this post:
benmunger (03-07-20)
Old 03-07-20, 05:36 PM
DownUnder
Intermediate

CazzyGee (06-26-20)
Old 03-08-20, 05:41 AM
benmunger
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I got to say. With the v land headlights and brows, that bumper looks better on the 2nd genI IS than the 3rd gen IS.
Old 03-12-20, 12:24 AM
DownUnder
Intermediate

I agree. They're a match made in heaven.

eteekay (12-11-20)
Old 03-12-20, 08:14 AM
jj68jam
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks awesome- nice work!!!
Old 03-14-20, 02:21 PM
DownUnder
Intermediate

Thanks!

We installed my friends 3IS conversion yesterday on his Glacier Frost Mica '06 IS350. With the install of my one last weekend still fresh in my mind everything was a breeze. Did the typical cutting of the aluminium beam and shaving of the ducts and she fit straight on.

Here's some pics of both cars that we took after the install:

InfraRedNZ (07-16-20)
Old 03-27-20, 06:09 PM
DownUnder
Intermediate

New halos/DRLs installed. Had to do some custom work to make them look how I wanted but they came out looking good:

InfraRedNZ (07-16-20)
Old 04-15-20, 06:42 PM
dominion
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@DownUnder Halos look good. Which ebay vendor did you end up selecting. It looks like you didnt go with the newer mold bumper that Sinister mentioned. Also, did you get the side skirt lips also from the same vendor in carbon flash?
Old 04-15-20, 08:07 PM
DownUnder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dominion
@DownUnder Halos look good. Which ebay vendor did you end up selecting. It looks like you didnt go with the newer mold bumper that Sinister mentioned. Also, did you get the side skirt lips also from the same vendor in carbon flash?
Thanks! I didn't buy mine from eBay as I couldn't find anybody on the major sites that would ship to New Zealand, so I bought it straight out of China from a company called Car-Act who actually manufacture them. They do both types, but I went for the earlier mold as I had seen that the newer, supposedly 'revised' mold, had fitment issues where the hood meets the top of the bumper. I'm not sure if Car-Act's newer design would also have the same issue but didn't want to risk it. I also liked that the earlier mold has the larger fog lights. The sideskirt extensions I've had for a little while now and they are just unpainted black polyurethane. Did think of getting some carbon ones to match, but the price to get items this large sent to New Zealand is quite horrendous, so plan on keeping what I already have
Old 06-26-20, 05:49 AM
CazzyGee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Well Sir,
That is one piece of Art.
Everything just blend in so well. What an inspiration.

Originally Posted by DownUnder

Old 12-11-20, 01:29 PM
eteekay
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DownUnder
I agree. They're a match made in heaven.

Hi my friend. Your car is beautifully put together!!

I have to ask, is that front lip come with the bumper conversion purchase? Did you wrap it with carbon fiber or did you bring it in to get it dipped?
Mines running without a lip right now, and I tried a couple of ebay ones for the 3IS but the fitment just was not great.
Old 12-11-20, 01:51 PM
DownUnder
Intermediate

Thanks! The front lip came with the bumper conversion but I paid a bit extra for it to be hydrodipped with a carbon pattern from the seller in China. Sadly it only lasted a week before a rock took a hunk out of the middle of it. I managed to make it look better but decided to go for a smaller lip in the end as it always used to scrape on speed bumps and driveways etc and I didn't really like the way it curved up on the sides. I bought a 3-piece hydrodipped front lip designed for a 3IS and shaved down the humps so that it could sit further back into the bumper. You can use it without shaving it down but it will poke out quite far. Here's some pics:

eteekay (12-11-20)
Old 01-18-21, 07:37 PM
jj68jam
Pit Crew

Default 3is Conversion Bumper- top radiator cover

Loving these 3is conversions! I've been reading everyone's posts on their projects and wanted to know if the top, plastic radiator cover still fits correctly once complete? I saw a couple in process pictures and it looked like there may be a gap between the front of the cover where it meets the grill (as viewed with the hood open)

I'm still trying to decide between the original mold vs. the newer one (Thank-you to, Sinister for your info so far...) Are there hood to grill fitment issues with the newer mold? Which version should I go with? Thanks!
-Jim
Fort Lauderdale, FL
2012 350 ISC
Old 01-19-21, 06:04 PM
benmunger
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jj68jam
Loving these 3is conversions! I've been reading everyone's posts on their projects and wanted to know if the top, plastic radiator cover still fits correctly once complete? I saw a couple in process pictures and it looked like there may be a gap between the front of the cover where it meets the grill (as viewed with the hood open)

I'm still trying to decide between the original mold vs. the newer one (Thank-you to, Sinister for your info so far...) Are there hood to grill fitment issues with the newer mold? Which version should I go with? Thanks!
-Jim
Fort Lauderdale, FL
2012 350 ISC
I just bought the same one that sinister has. It fits really well. Video to come.

I also have a convertible and I'm in pembroke pines. I'm still in the process of wrapping mine.
Old 01-19-21, 06:45 PM
jj68jam
Pit Crew

Awesome to hear! So you are doing the fab work yourself or is the body shop cutting the bumper, radiator and brake ducts? I'm in Plantation and would love to check out your progress in person!

Jim

Quick Reply: Ebay Bumper 2IS to 3IS Conversion