IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Just install this Android Stereo and need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-19 | 10:07 PM
linkzx
Rookie

Originally Posted by BabyGate
Not yet. The seller is still on holiday till 15th. So I wasn't able to get any respond from them yet. If anyone has the OBD connector wire laying around, can you take a picture of it and post it here? I guess I can make my own plug if I know which 2 pins that I need to use for the OBD plug.
I tried taking a picture for you, but my photography skills couldn't convey the info, so, please accept my horrid MS Paint diagram

I cant upload anything apparently so: https://i.imgur.com/725vEwB.png
The following users liked this post:
BabyGate (02-18-19)
Old 02-15-19 | 07:06 AM
zcollier
Driver School Candidate

Here's a new weird bug that I just noticed but which may have existed all along. I'm only hearing one channel of audio from my iPhone when connected either via Bluetooth or my USB CarPlay adapter. Sound is coming out of all speakers, but it's only using one channel of the audio.

Even weirder, it's using different channels when connected each way. When I connect via Bluetooth I'm hearing the right channel only, and when I connect via the CarPlay adapter I'm hearing the left channel only.

I have been listening to 95% podcasts so I didn't notice it, but when I went to play some music this morning I noticed it right away because the specific song I played has extreme stereo separation and I was completely missing parts of the recording.

For now I have set my iPhone to mono audio in the Accessibility settings, but I want to figure this out. Has anyone found any settings related to stereo separation?
Old 02-15-19 | 07:57 AM
linkzx
Rookie

Originally Posted by zcollier
Here's a new weird bug that I just noticed but which may have existed all along. I'm only hearing one channel of audio from my iPhone when connected either via Bluetooth or my USB CarPlay adapter. Sound is coming out of all speakers, but it's only using one channel of the audio.

Even weirder, it's using different channels when connected each way. When I connect via Bluetooth I'm hearing the right channel only, and when I connect via the CarPlay adapter I'm hearing the left channel only.

I have been listening to 95% podcasts so I didn't notice it, but when I went to play some music this morning I noticed it right away because the specific song I played has extreme stereo separation and I was completely missing parts of the recording.

For now I have set my iPhone to mono audio in the Accessibility settings, but I want to figure this out. Has anyone found any settings related to stereo separation?
Interesting, I know that the bluetooth only uses one channel, but the car play is an odd one, what about other stuff? Spotify, Youtube etc, stuff that runs directly from the unit, give that a try
Old 02-15-19 | 12:39 PM
BabyGate
Driver

Originally Posted by linkzx;Thanks for the help.10440525
I tried taking a picture for you, but my photography skills couldn't convey the info, so, please accept my horrid MS Paint diagram
Holly batman!!! Thanks for the awesome diagram. I’ll give it a try over the weedend.
Old 02-15-19 | 07:05 PM
BabyGate
Driver

I don’t think it is bug. After I read your post, I played some stereo test file from iphone bluetooth and directly on android unit. Both are missing the right channel sound. I am not a expert on this, it appears they only use the left signal and re-proccess it to 4-speakers output, Does that make sense? lol, just a wild guess.
Old 02-18-19 | 11:12 PM
BabyGate
Driver

Thanks linkzx for the obd diagram. It worked out perfectly. My backup camera and door open info work now.

If anyone is interested, the steering wheel control from a car with NAV is plug-and-play on the non-nav. I only replaced the right side control buttons with the one picture below. It is a easy mod for our android unit; just unplug the old one from the existing harness, plug in the new one to the existing harness. You don't even need to use the harness that comes with the NAV control switches. That's it. All buttons work with the android unit seamlessly. And the first time you press the voice command, it will let you link to the app of your choice. In my case, I linked to Google Voice.
Old 02-19-19 | 04:48 AM
linkzx
Rookie

Originally Posted by BabyGate
Thanks linkzx for the obd diagram. It worked out perfectly. My backup camera and door open info work now.

If anyone is interested, the steering wheel control from a car with NAV is plug-and-play on the non-nav. I only replaced the right side control buttons with the one picture below. It is a easy mod for our android unit; just unplug the old one from the existing harness, plug in the new one to the existing harness. You don't even need to use the harness that comes with the NAV control switches. That's it. All buttons work with the android unit seamlessly. And the first time you press the voice command, it will let you link to the app of your choice. In my case, I linked to Google Voice.

Great to hear that the diagram worked, also that the button works from the nav, I just got a set of those buttons in the mail last week, waiting for nicer days to install
Old 02-19-19 | 07:17 AM
ianbis
Driver

Default Weird

thats really weird, I was able to “train” (assign) my steering wheel buttons to work with the Android system and my car is OEM Non Navi non ML
Old 02-19-19 | 11:57 AM
zcollier
Driver School Candidate

Yes, that's also what I found. Only the left channel, sent to all speakers. Very disappointing!

Does anyone have an idea of what's causing this or how to fix it? I'll be asking my vendor soon.
Old 02-19-19 | 11:59 AM
zcollier
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ianbis
thats really weird, I was able to “train” (assign) my steering wheel buttons to work with the Android system and my car is OEM Non Navi non ML
Wow, that's great news. I was not able to figure out how to train any of my steering wheel buttons other than the "speak" button, which has its own special option in the configuration. I would love to change the phone start/stop buttons to do something different. Can you explain more about how to did the reassignment? Maybe with some photos or a video?

Thanks!!
Old 02-19-19 | 01:06 PM
ianbis
Driver

OMG, I’m so sorry this was so long ago. I was trying to remember the passwords for developer options etc when someone asked and I could not remember them and could not find where I had them stored. Anyway once you get into the correct screen on the android unit there will be a list of functions, you press whatever you want the button to be on the android screen and then press the button on the steering wheel that you want to train/assign. I’ll keep scrounging around to see if I can find the passwords.
Old 02-19-19 | 01:09 PM
zcollier
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ianbis
OMG, I’m so sorry this was so long ago. I was trying to remember the passwords for developer options etc when someone asked and I could not remember them and could not find where I had them stored. Anyway once you get into the correct screen on the android unit there will be a list of functions, you press whatever you want the button to be on the android screen and then press the button on the steering wheel that you want to train/assign. I’ll keep scrounging around to see if I can find the passwords.
For what it’s worth, your passwords are probably:

Extra Settings: 123456
Developer Options: 7890

Thanks for helping!
Dukenukemx (02-25-19)
Old 02-19-19 | 02:51 PM
ianbis
Driver

Lmao, if I’m not mistaken you are correct!!! 🤣 the super secret password is 1——2.......3........4.......... insert your favorite Spaceballs joke here.🤣

Last edited by ianbis; 02-19-19 at 04:25 PM.
Dukenukemx (11-30-20)
Old 02-19-19 | 03:57 PM
ianbis
Driver

Default Steering Wheel controls

🤣 No password required for assigning steering wheel buttons:

Go to “Settings”—> “Car Settings” —> “Steering wheel” a list will come up press “Start” then press the option that you would like to program then press the steering wheel button that you would like to assign the function to.

”Settings” is located on the last page of “apps” swiping from right to left
”Car Settings” is located on the left side and is the last option on the list
”Steering Wheel” is the 1st option once you press “Car Settings”
”Start” is on the lower left

Last edited by ianbis; 02-19-19 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Title
Old 02-20-19 | 08:30 AM
ianbis
Driver

Default 🤯🤬

So topnavi001 tells me that they will sell me the US version of the CanBus for $70 (NOT $35) because:
1) they don’t usually sell the CanBus separately and
2) they don’t usually sell to individuals who didn’t buy the Android unit from them.

From reading the posts above it appears they stumbled upon this fix and were “surprised” it worked. So I don’t understand their logic. (It is possible that I’m being totally unreasonable.)

I don’t mind them making a profit but come on now. You are already making a profit at $35. That said if someone who purchased the unit from them would like to order it for me and have it mailed to my address I would gladly pay you $50.

Full disclosure, I did not pay for my Android unit so it’s not a money thing, I just hate the feeling that I’m being fleeced. I have a different version of the software so I don’t even know if this will fix my issues. Maybe I should buy an Android unit from Topnavi and order an extra CanBus and then if it works I can sell one setup. Just thinking out loud.......

Last edited by ianbis; 02-20-19 at 08:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Just install this Android Stereo and need help