IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Fuel leaking when full tank of gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-17, 08:51 AM
dromedaris
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel leaking when full tank of gas

Every time I fill it up 3/4 to full, you smell the fuel. Now it's the first time I've noticed a small yellow puddle of fuel underneath my car. It's located right underneath the fuel cap. When the tank is less than 3/4 full, the smell is gone and of course the leaking stopped.

What can it be? I don't think the fuel tank is leaking, cause otherwise it would be leaking all the time.
Old 11-28-17, 09:08 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

do you regularly "top off" the tank? sounds to me like the charcoal vapor canister is full of fuel from topping off, I've seen that happen on many makes and models. This would result in the fuel leaking back out.

if that is the case, you will likely need a new vapor canister, as it can cause vapor lock during fuel flow and stall out the car, it will also prevent you from fully filling the tank using the auto lock on the pump nozzle.
Old 11-28-17, 09:22 AM
dromedaris
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
do you regularly "top off" the tank? sounds to me like the charcoal vapor canister is full of fuel from topping off, I've seen that happen on many makes and models. This would result in the fuel leaking back out.

if that is the case, you will likely need a new vapor canister, as it can cause vapor lock during fuel flow and stall out the car, it will also prevent you from fully filling the tank using the auto lock on the pump nozzle.
The car doesn't stall out.
The pump nozzle shuts off when full, so that rules out the vapor canister right?
Old 11-28-17, 09:32 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dromedaris
The car doesn't stall out.
The pump nozzle shuts off when full, so that rules out the vapor canister right?
as long as you aren't squeezing off to top off the tank, it should, as the canister is designed for vapor not liquid fuel.

it's possible the filler neck has a leak or a damaged gasket, have you checked it to see?
Old 11-28-17, 10:03 AM
toyotaguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only just recently found out too you should never try to squeeze in (for me to stop at nearest whole dollar) more gas into the tank than necessary. The advice was to stop pumping when it auto-shuts off as trying to top it off too much could damage the vapor canister which is not a cheap fix on many cars.
Old 11-28-17, 10:53 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toyotaguy
I've only just recently found out too you should never try to squeeze in (for me to stop at nearest whole dollar) more gas into the tank than necessary. The advice was to stop pumping when it auto-shuts off as trying to top it off too much could damage the vapor canister which is not a cheap fix on many cars.
yeah typically $550+ for the canister, and $200+ in labor.. kind of the reason why most owners manuals and even the station pumps say "do not top off tank" aside from the obvious spillage, it causes other issues with the vehicle.
Old 11-29-17, 11:04 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

I thought our cars had a recall at one point for fuel filler necks? Possible issue here perhaps.
Old 11-29-17, 11:07 AM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There was a recall for something similar to fuel leak. https://repairpal.com/recall/14V647000
Old 11-29-17, 11:08 AM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
I thought our cars had a recall at one point for fuel filler necks? Possible issue here perhaps.
Beat me to it by 3 minutes
Old 11-29-17, 11:24 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

as long as you aren't squeezing off to top off the tank, it should, as the canister is designed for vapor not liquid fuel.

it's possible the filler neck has a leak or a damaged gasket, have you checked it to see?
Originally Posted by Gville350
Originally Posted by andrewwake
There was a recall for something similar to fuel leak. https://repairpal.com/recall/14V647000

and there you have it.