IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My '08 Manual Trans is stuck in first gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-17, 06:25 PM
m2bad4ya
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '08 Manual Trans is stuck in first gear

So I left my car with my *****head mechanic to fix the some body damage and when I left him the car it was perfectly fine, shifting into all six gears + reverse, no issues. Then he calls me a week later saying that the car is stuck in gear and sure enough, it's in 1st gear. The position of the shifter itself looks like it's trying to be reverse but on the neutral plane (the left most position). Even with the car off or with the clutch engaged it is stuck. I do have hope in that it does move on its own power in 1st, no weird noises, so I know clutch and bearing are good.

My hope is that maybe the linkage is bad/stuck and just needs adjustment, even worse it could be the change holder assembly. But I wanted to know if anyone else had seen this or have a similar experience with their RA62 transmissions.
Old 12-12-17, 06:46 PM
m2bad4ya
Driver School Candidate

In searching the forums for some answers I came across this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ssue-help.html

Too bad there were no follow up posts, but the guy describes the issue and shifter position exactly like I did (I put up my post but started doing a more thorough search and came across this).

Originally Posted by SgtKV2
From the looks of where the shifter is this is what I can tell. The transmission is in first gear, but the shifter is some how in the reverse gate of the shifter pattern. How can this happen? The only thing I can think is that the guy tried to force over the shifter instead of lifting up on the lockout and this caused the linkage to bind.

I wish I knew his fix, or if it required a replacement trans. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 12-13-17, 01:43 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Did anyone try to drive it in its current shape?
Old 12-13-17, 02:13 PM
m2bad4ya
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Did anyone try to drive it in its current shape?
Yes, the car moves and runs. I have to keep the clutch pressed in so it doesn't stall but once I let go the car moves like normal, no funny trans noises.
Old 12-13-17, 02:22 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Linkage needs to be adjusted? Check the fork also. There's no fluid in the reservoir?
Old 12-13-17, 02:30 PM
m2bad4ya
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Linkage needs to be adjusted? Check the fork also. There's no fluid in the reservoir?
There's fluid in the reservoir. I wasn't there when this happened so I'm assuming my mechanic was banging gears like it was a race car and caused this issue. Unfortunately I'm not the one doing the work, they are, so they're the ones that are going to try to fix it.
Old 12-13-17, 02:38 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

I would say it could be the slave cylinder. Same thing happened to my brother's 350Z. Crapped out, and it was stuck in gear too. If indeed it's that should be an easy fix.
Old 12-13-17, 02:45 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by m2bad4ya
Yes, the car moves and runs. I have to keep the clutch pressed in so it doesn't stall but once I let go the car moves like normal, no funny trans noises.
glad to hear that it's drive able. if they haven't done so already, I'd have them remove the shift **** and shift boot and inspect the shifter assembly thoroughly. they could also easily inspect the hydraulics and slave cylinder while their at it
Old 12-13-17, 02:46 PM
m2bad4ya
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
I would say it could be the slave cylinder. Same thing happened to my brother's 350Z. Crapped out, and it was stuck in gear too. If indeed it's that should be an easy fix.
Two reasons I don't think it's the slave cylinder;
1: The clutch still works and engages the pressure plate
2: The shifter is in the neutral position all the way to the right where you are supposed to lift the ring to throw it into reverse, even though it is in 1st gear.

I've had slave cylinders crap out on me before but I could still move through the gears with the car shut off.
Old 12-13-17, 02:55 PM
m2bad4ya
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jadu
glad to hear that it's drive able. if they haven't done so already, I'd have them remove the shift **** and shift boot and inspect the shifter assembly thoroughly. they could also easily inspect the hydraulics and slave cylinder while their at it
I did that (because they didn't know how to take apart the center console without breaking stuff). Everything is still connected, everything looks normal, but when I try to pull the shifter in any direction it stays stuck. I don't want to force it, I'd rather separate the trans from the engine and work on it on a bench but they said they are first going to try to fix it from inside the car, I'm assuming they're going to remove the shifter and play with the linkage, but if you know the trans it's not cable connected it's a single rod that goes straight into the case.

I DO WANT TO THANK EVERYONE FOR THEIR SUGGESTIONS. I saw two other posts where those people described the same exact problem I have (car stuck in 1st gear, position of shifter is in reverse). So I wanted to know if anyone had THIS same problem, I'm already on top of 'what should I check, what should I look for' All that stuff has been gone through.

Last edited by m2bad4ya; 12-13-17 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-13-17, 02:56 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

another thought, they could also uninstall/reinstall the shifter-same process as installing short shifter for your car.
Old 12-13-17, 02:58 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Originally Posted by m2bad4ya
I did that (because they didn't know how to take apart the center console without breaking stuff). Everything is still connected, everything looks normal, but when I try to pull the shifter in any direction it stays stuck. I don't want to force it, I'd rather separate the trans from the engine and work on it on a bench but they said they are first going to try to fix it from inside the car, I'm assuming they're going to remove the shifter and play with the linkage, but if you know the trans it's not cable connected it's a single rod that goes straight into the case.
yep, hope that does the trick
Old 12-14-17, 12:40 PM
Gville350

Like has been mentioned, check out all of the shift linkages to the trans. If everything is in place and tight, it might be inside the trans that's the problem. If possible, remove the factory shift linkage and attempt to change gears on the trans using the stub. That'll eliminate it all down to what's inside the trans.

Good luck!
Old 12-14-17, 08:42 PM
azari
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us posted on what the fix is, and also HOW this happened in the first place, so that we can avoid doing it. Much appreciate it!
Old 12-15-17, 11:30 AM
Gville350

^Probably a joy ride. OP should have taken a picture of the mileage on the odometer when dropped off.

Quick Reply: My '08 Manual Trans is stuck in first gear