IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Spec d headlight questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-17, 04:26 AM
2istype
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec d headlight questions

So when I purchased this car last summer. It came with the SPEC D headlights. The housing are black and has the DRL led's that are pretty cool but they are not as bright as the OEM ones. One thing I've noticed is
it came with regular H1 Bulbs and they weren't very bright. I noticed this when I picked up the car in San Diego and driving back to Phoenix at night I literally had to turn my high beams on. So I ended up
ordering a set of HID kit called Apex from Amazon.

Now my issue is when I tried installing the bulb into the housing projector the bulb doesn't fit. The only thing holding it in place is the two clips that holds it down. I notice the lights are still very dim. Now the most annoying part of this
spec d headlights is adjusting the projectors. You literally can't adjust it when the headlights are mounted on the car, you have to un mount it from the car so you can reach the adjustment screws which is so damn retarded because
how can you even measure the lines if you can't adjust it when its mounted on the car. Unless I'm doing something wrong. Since I didn't buy these headlights and I don't have instructions.
I don't know even know which adjustment screws goes horizontally, vertical.

So if anyone has the spec d headlights what are the right HID kit to buy so it fits the housing perfectly? Have you guys experience it being so dimmed even with the right HID kit?
And how do I adjust projectors without unmounting the headlights? Pictures of which adjustments screws will help thanks.

Car is an 07 lexus is350
Old 12-16-17, 05:01 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Adjusting them for me was a matter of marking down the lines on the wall and grabbing a small socket with sockets for the small hex screws/bolts on the back with some trial and error until it lined up.
Old 12-16-17, 05:04 AM
2istype
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aspect
Adjusting them for me was a matter of marking down the lines on the wall and grabbing a small socket with sockets for the small hex screws/bolts on the back with some trial and error until it lined up.
how were you able to adjust them while being mounted on the car? I can't reach the adjustment screws when its mounted.
Old 12-16-17, 05:15 AM
Aspect
Racer

Ah mine were pretty spot on on only needed adjustments using the one adjustment **** that is reachable without removing the headlight... think it's the 5mm hex. The rest are indeed too far in or blocked so I meant I adjusted them, loosely mounted it back in, check and repeat. Not the biggest deal for me since I can remove the front bumper and lights in approx 5min. The only pain I found was having to do it in the dark
Old 12-16-17, 05:17 AM
2istype
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aspect
Ah mine were pretty spot on on only needed adjustments using the one adjustment **** that is reachable without removing the headlight... think it's the 5mm hex. The rest are indeed too far in or blocked so I meant I adjusted them, loosely mounted it back in, check and repeat. Not the biggest deal for me since I can remove the front bumper and lights in approx 5min. The only pain I found was having to do it in the dark
1. Ok so the one that you can reach. What adjustment screw does that adjust?

2. The ones that are blocked what do they adjusts?

3. What bulb hid are you using?
Old 12-16-17, 05:22 AM
Aspect
Racer

I'll have to look up the page in the Spec D tail lights adjustment post in CL but I'm pretty sure green is up down, red is left right, and blue is leveling.
Not using HIDs so just helping you with adjustments, pretty sure the correct bulb size for HID conversions is H7 for the projector and H1 for the high beam in the reflector housing.
The bulbs should fit if you bought the correct application , lift the metal latch, remove the old bulb, insert new bulb, pull down latch, and secure the screw.
Not sure how you did the HID conversion so i can't comment further.

Last edited by Aspect; 12-16-17 at 05:28 AM.