IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mirror Puddle Light +12v on Right side

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-17, 11:29 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Mirror Puddle Light +12v on Right side

Does anyone know if the +12v wire for the puddle light in the mirror on the right hand side can be found easily in the footwell once the plastic trims are removed? I need to tap into this to illuminate extra lights. There is a bunch of wires coming in from the door into the car but lots of wires. Does anyone know which one is puddle light one?
Old 12-19-17, 01:57 PM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Or does anyone know if there is any other lighting circuits that are on the same puddle light circuit that is already inside?
Old 12-21-17, 06:11 PM
belac
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are two yellow wires going to the mirrors, behind the front door panels, I know you can tap in to those.
I recently wired in under-car puddle lights and tapped them in to the rear dome light. This is ideal as the lights come on when you're near he car, unlock the car, open the door and can be manually turned on with the dome light button. That is where I would recommend running them.
Old 01-06-18, 06:35 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Originally Posted by belac
There are two yellow wires going to the mirrors, behind the front door panels, I know you can tap in to those.
I recently wired in under-car puddle lights and tapped them in to the rear dome light. This is ideal as the lights come on when you're near he car, unlock the car, open the door and can be manually turned on with the dome light button. That is where I would recommend running them.
Just removed the door panel today to check this out. The two yellow wires that goes from the 6-wire connector appears to go to the puddle lights. It seems that the puddle lights Negative/Ground isn't actually the common ground from the car. It seems the ground for the puddle light comes from a complete different circuit controlling the puddle lights. I was hoping it had a shared Ground because I wanted to just tap into the +12v wire as I wanted to power the main LED DRL. Do you know if this is true? Is it the case that out of the 6 wires on that connector, the two yellow wires are actually dedicated to the puddle lights meaning the puddle light has it's own dedicated ground?

Also, while testing the 6 pins on that connector with a multimeter, a few times the tip of the probe slipped and I got a few small sparks when positive touched negative. I hope I haven't blown anything. I tested everything and haven't noticed anything not working yet. Mirrors are all working etc.
Old 01-06-18, 07:13 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Anything mounted in plastic will have its own unique ground so the puddle lights fit in this category. That said, they may not tie back to a common ground that you know of as the chassis ground. In short a module with a switch does not have to have that switched pole tied to a common ground. Make sense.

Also, if you do this, you should run a reed relay or a solid state relay so the circuit is not compromised by the extra load even though it is just LED's....
Old 01-07-18, 06:47 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Anything mounted in plastic will have its own unique ground so the puddle lights fit in this category. That said, they may not tie back to a common ground that you know of as the chassis ground. In short a module with a switch does not have to have that switched pole tied to a common ground. Make sense.

Also, if you do this, you should run a reed relay or a solid state relay so the circuit is not compromised by the extra load even though it is just LED's....
I'm thinking to add a relay connected to the puddle light. Then add a always live wire to the common pin. Then have normally open pin going to the led. So When puddle light is on the relay will be open and the always common will be passed through. Only thing is now I have to find a always on wire ideally inside the door panel or nearby.

There is a red controller box inside the door panel which i assume controls locks and windows. Does anyone know if there is a always on wire in there somewhere?
Old 01-08-18, 11:51 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

I've done alot of lighting mods on this car and the interior and puddle lighting grounds are active from a control box. This provides the dimming features. For the puddle lights, I just ran wiring from door back in to interior when I did my LED door handle lights on all four doors.

There is also the side front lighted scuff pad prewired plug for the plug and play on certain year 2IS (I think up to 2010). This may only be activated when door is open though.