IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Replaced alternator. Wont start, ABS, P/S, VSC lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-17, 05:37 PM
badelbow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced alternator. Wont start, ABS, P/S, VSC lights

Driving my 2007 IS250 home a couple days ago, with about a block to go, I lost power steering and ABS as my dash lit up; ABS, Check VSC, Battery, P/S lights all came on. Once I pulled into my driveway and turned it off, let it sit then tried to start it. It wouldn't start. Tested the battery, it was drained. Charged it, car started for just a moment. Tested the alternator, it was bad. I replaced the alternator using the guide here. Got the new alternator tested before putting it in and it checked out. With the new Alternator in, the car started fine. Drove and about 5 minutes in the engine dies and I lost power steering and ABS. After letting it sit for about 15 minutes it started and I was able to get back home. I thought maybe the ground contact was bad on the batter as other's have experienced, so I cleaned those contacts. Car started again, drove and again, about 5 minutes in, the engine dies and I lost power steering and ABS. Had it towed home. Car will turn over after sitting for some time but wont start. Not sure what to try and trouble shoot next and am looking for some direction as this forum, though I haven't posted before, has been a great help in the past.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-17, 05:55 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Could be just a bad alternator again. Most are remanufactured. Is your battery light on in the dash? Have you've checked voltage at the battery while the car is on?

Many things could be going on here. Retrace your steps to see if a loose connection, or damaged wiring.
Old 12-28-17, 06:16 PM
badelbow
Driver School Candidate

The battery light hasn't come back on since the alternator was replaced. If it was the alternator again, wouldn't the battery have been drained again?

I'll take a look at all the connections and report back.
Old 12-28-17, 06:50 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

If you can't crank the car back up. It means your battery has drained. Not enough juice to start it. Have you've tried jumping the battery again?

Make sure all electronics are off. If you get it to run. Then check voltage at the battery.
Old 12-31-17, 07:44 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

My brother just replaced his and had same issue. Ended up being a bad fuse on LH-IG on drivers kick panel. We were thinking it’s was waste to replace alternator but with 140k miles, it was eventually going to go bad. We thought it might have been the voltage regulator going bad anyway. Auto parts test the alternator and it still worked. $150 plus time but it’s pretty easy install anyway.

Had and to get a friend to look up the wiring diagram on TIS to figure out the which fuse.

The alterator has four wires signal wires for regulator, we test each one and three were confirmed with power or ground. One was unaccounted for which was LH-IG fuse.
Old 12-31-17, 07:47 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Here’s the wiring diagram. Sorry for poor quality, it’s a screenshot of a video.
Old 01-02-18, 01:45 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whenever the alternator goes, usually the battery does too. Double check the battery.
Old 01-03-18, 02:09 PM
badelbow
Driver School Candidate

Checked the battery. Its good. If the car sits for a few hours it will turn over a couple times then die. It wont ever start completely and the P/S light is the one light that always pops up.

@sinister2c any other info you can give me on the process?
Old 01-03-18, 02:28 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

The only other thing I can think of is. Check if you put your sepentine belt on back correctly.
Old 01-03-18, 02:37 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts

There is another thread just like this on a 250. His had burned one of the links in the buss bar by the battery. Look very carefully at the fuse panel with the clear lid. Use the lid and look at fuse EPS 80 AMP near the main 150A fuse.

Although unrelated to running the engine, somehow that fuse gets blown. Please confirm.

And yes, before you kill this battery, jump it with a running car and then on your 250, hold pedal to the floor and crank and see what happens.

See attached.
Attached Thumbnails Replaced alternator. Wont start, ABS, P/S, VSC lights-20170904_131330.jpg   Replaced alternator. Wont start, ABS, P/S, VSC lights-20170904_131335.jpg  
Old 02-05-18, 02:43 PM
badelbow
Driver School Candidate

Alright. I trouble shot this as much as I could. Checked the fuse as 2013FSport suggested, all as fine. I checked, as best I could, the fuses sinister2c suggested. I double checked the battery. All these things seem to be fine. I ended up taking it to a local shop that does a lot of work on Lexus. Looks to be the fuel pressure sensor. How this is related to the problems I am having is beyond me, but that's what they say it is.

Now for the next issue, we are having a hard time finding the part (89458-30010). They had found the part on amazon for about $50 but just got an email with a cancellation as the part is out of stock. Lexus doesn't sell just the sensor, they only sell the rail and sensors together. Which is like $1,000.00. Ebay only has the part from china and I would really like to stick with Denso. Any ideas on where to look? I'm coming up empty.
Old 02-05-18, 03:20 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,340 Posts

^^^^

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ld-i-know.html

Lou
Old 02-07-18, 01:36 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-DENSO-F...-/291635129290
Old 02-08-18, 06:40 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by badelbow
Alright. I trouble shot this as much as I could. Checked the fuse as 2013FSport suggested, all as fine. I checked, as best I could, the fuses sinister2c suggested. I double checked the battery. All these things seem to be fine. I ended up taking it to a local shop that does a lot of work on Lexus. Looks to be the fuel pressure sensor. How this is related to the problems I am having is beyond me, but that's what they say it is.

Now for the next issue, we are having a hard time finding the part (89458-30010). They had found the part on amazon for about $50 but just got an email with a cancellation as the part is out of stock. Lexus doesn't sell just the sensor, they only sell the rail and sensors together. Which is like $1,000.00. Ebay only has the part from china and I would really like to stick with Denso. Any ideas on where to look? I'm coming up empty.
Lexus got me just the sensor. Didn’t replace the rail. I’m glad you figured it out. Just happened to me last week. Was going to suggest that. There’s been a lot of threads lately on it.
Old 02-20-18, 04:40 PM
badelbow
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone for the help. Gville350 recommended a thread that had the part number for just the sensor and gasket, so I was able to get the part without having to replace the whole rail. It was a pain, but glad for everyone's help.

Quick Reply: Replaced alternator. Wont start, ABS, P/S, VSC lights